• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Another Paypal Discussion

No I meant it is up to the buyer. Maybe I am a bit to old school for some of you snowflakes. I don't care how I get my money as long as it is the "net" amount. Net means "net".
There is a big difference between breaking the "law" and "policy".

Did you ever speed while driving? Check
Have you ever sand Happy Birthday, sand Christmas songs or the Macarea in public? If so you violated copyright infringement and broke the LAW. Check
Have you ever played poker at home for money? Check
Have you ever connected to an unsecure Wifi? Check
Have you ever drove without a seat belt? Check
Have you ever peed outside? Check
Failed to update you drivers license when you moved? Check
Used your cell phone while driving? Check

If so, you actually broke the "LAW" and not POLICY. Big difference so get off you high horse and worry about something more important.

^ I have to admit, that in the past month I've personally violated every single one of your examples (except for the seatbelt one), Colubrid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anzzNp8HlVQ

I've never been arrested, or spent anytime in jail...but I've done quite a few things a whole lot worse than cheating PayPal.

Last edited:
I think the main theme of this thread is folks getting cheated by buyers/sellers and stiffed by Paypal. It has since morphed into a discussion about the legalities and ethics of avoiding Paypal Fees.

IT IS NOT AGAINST THE LAW TO AVOID PAYPAL FEES. It is simply against Paypal's Terms of Service and renders you powerless in a dispute. They can and HAVE terminated service because of it. There are easy ways around this which PP even lays out in detail. Check into "Handling Fees".

That is why I don't believe it is the duty of BF moderation staff to police this. I think it is in your best interest to adhere to policy with regard to transactions and shipping but it isn't mandatory. Just don't complain if or when it comes back to haunt you.

If I speed on occasion that excuses you from responsibility for stealing services from PayPal? That's an interesting moral precept. And, spare me the "old school" nonsense. Dishonesty isn't new school or old school - it's just dishonesty. Own it.

It is amazing the excuses that people come up with. Reminds me of the counterfeit discussion. "You know my plunger is a copy of another plunger so it is okay for me to support counterfeiting."

I'm not trying to open a can of worms but what is the problem with Alex3000's post? I'm asking out of ignorance not malice.

When seller wants payment through PP as Friends & Family most of us will just move on.
As the buyer, you will forfeit PP's protection. If seller turns out to be a scammer, NOT saying Alex is a scammer, you are 100% screwed.
There are a TON of threads here of people out a LOT of money and just about every one paid F&F.
Hope this helps! If not, ask more questions brother!
Joe

The fact that alex is asking for fees plus profit on the fees is against paypal rules big time and could or should get his account shutdown

Bad at math? :confused:

Aaaaaaaaaaand Alex is VERY bad at math!! Very bad!!

You guys are assuming that someone who would use F&F is someone who would be interested in only charging the actual added cost to him. Maybe he wants to more strongly discourage standard payment, or maybe he thinks being "on the hook" is worth more to him than his lowest asking price.
If I were of the same kind of ilk I would probably add 20% for regular PayPal, if I took it at all.

Last edited:
The fact that alex is asking for fees plus profit on the fees is against paypal rules big time and could or should get his account shutdown

While I do not agree with this type of business practice and have no pity for folks who get shut down... I also believe it is up to Paypal to police their own accounts. They can allocate some of that fee profit to audit accounts, if you ask me.

Like I said... Love the service, hate the high fees.

Like shoplifting from a store. Not my loss. ?

Actually, it increases the cost to all honest customers.

The moderators enforce "family friendly" language throughout the entire website (minus a couple areas). Yet monitoring the initial post of a for sale thread is too much work? Not buying it. Plenty of users would use the report feature to point out the threads in violation of a no F&F rule. I've been around long enough to see that nearly all the problems with "scamming" posted in GB&U stem from someone sending a GIFT as payment. Stopping that practice would significantly reduce moderator work in GB&U.

A more realistic reason why BFC won't enforce a "no gift" rule is that it would deter people from buying paid memberships to sell knives on the exchange.

A more realistic reason why BFC won't enforce a "no gift" rule is that it would deter people from buying paid memberships to sell knives on the exchange.

I think you might be on to something. Oh sorry... I meant just plain "on something".:p

"Family Friendly" language on open forums is a BF policy/rule. If BF steps into the realm of policing off-site third party policies, where would it end? Should they monitor shipping procedure, Int'l customs restrictions? Perhaps every sold item should be drop-shipped to a BF moderator for inspection? Blade Forums will continue to moderate according to it's own user agreements including any perceived criminal/illegal activities conducted on the forum. Paypal payments are conducted through Paypal.... offsite.

That is called the "Parade of Horribles" tactic. No logic but it feels good.

It would be far easier to police than "family friendly" as no judgment is required. The seller either does or does not ask for F&F payment - a patent effort to defraud PayPal - a company I loath, but that's no excuse for facilitating scamming.

The moderators enforce "family friendly" language throughout the entire website (minus a couple areas). Yet monitoring the initial post of a for sale thread is too much work? Not buying it. Plenty of users would use the report feature to point out the threads in violation of a no F&F rule. I've been around long enough to see that nearly all the problems with "scamming" posted in GB&U stem from someone sending a GIFT as payment. Stopping that practice would significantly reduce moderator work in GB&U.

I agree with all of the above, and, sorry Rick, but the floodgates won't open.

I can't help but wonder how many of those who think that Paypal overcharges have ever checked the fee schedule and seen the hoops one has to jump through in order to accept credit cards on a small scale retail level. I'm guessing not many have.

Last edited:
Back