• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Another Paypal Discussion

i's sure its been said but what i hate is when a seller says "add 3% for G&S". add it to the original price or eat it. its also against PP policy to do so. and when i have mentioned that to sellers i have gotten anything from "ok ill adjust or eat it" to "f*ck off you dont know what your talking about" then get blocked. if you are going to use a service you need to know their rules and regs and keep up to date on them. just my $.02

Recently had a (really big) shop that put fees to customers. E-mailed them that it's against PayPal policy to do so, said I should send them the part of their policy where that's stated, sent it, got a really rough answer. E-mailed PayPal if I'm right, they said I was, sent that to the company and got my money back and handed over to the CEO. Really curious how that turns out :D
And if a company weren't to refund I'm sure you could simply say PayPal that they take it from their account.

Good for you, if they were harsh when you pointed out the policy, they get what they get.

I don't normally turn folks in for two reasons. First, most don't know... Second, I'm not a fan of the fees and wish they'd offer a "business payment" flat rate for Canadians, like they do for the USA. Paypal isn't hurting for money like some of its clients... it doesn't bother me that they get a bit less. I don't like when folks are knowingly fraudulant but paypal needs to police themselves. Or give me a reward for turning in crooks.

Now, if I was charged an additional fee, like you were.... I would get my money back, like you did.

Here in Australia we can do free bank-to-bank transfers pretty easily, most happen within a couple days, depending on which two banks are involved. Its pretty common for people to use it to do transfers between friends, and even some bills (like rent or similar) The thing is, unlike other stuff like Venmo, or Paypal, the funds have to be there, and they cannot be disputed (some banks can reverse it within the first couple hours at most) so if you get a number wrong... oops. So its got its good and bad. I still use paypal most often because I know both sides are covered. I'll allow someone to send me the funds if they are willing to via bank transfer, because its their risk, and its accepted that they are foregoing those protections. But prices stay the same. I'm on another forum where I've paid with transfer, but in that case the member was one of long standing, and the risk was within my personal level of tolerance. That all comes down to the circumstances at hand, but I'm also not breaking any TOS by using that service. I think ultimately it becomes something for the market to work out. If the buyer is willing to take the risk, then so be it, but over time as more and more get burned by it, they might be less likely to do things that way, and since that hurts paypal overall, they may change how they conduct those sorts of things. But if the Buyers demand G&S at a set price, then the Sellers will ultimately have to put up or shut up. Its not like no one knows what the shipping and fees will cost, so we can easily see what sort of margin the seller should be expecting. I think that's fair.

only deal with g&s, ive read about too many bad experiences with f&f, even "Trusted" sellers I avoid if they don't take g&s. Sadly ive missed out on some good deals, but I like my safety nets too much.

So now PayPal requires additional (ssn or itin) info to "claim" your own funds or those funds will be held in limbo?! Wtf

So now PayPal requires additional (ssn or itin) info to "claim" your own funds or those funds will be held in limbo?! Wtf

Can you cite where you saw this?? I just scanned through the User Agreement and only saw them as options, not requirements. I hope I didn't miss it.

Holding a PayPal Balance
Money that you receive from other PayPal account holders is held as a balance in your PayPal account. The balance functionality in your PayPal account will differ depending on whether we have been able to verify the required identifying information that you provide to us.
The required identifying information is: name, physical address, date of birth and taxpayer identification number.

If we have not verified the required identifying information, a balance in your PayPal account can generally only be held in your PayPal account and transferred to a linked bank account or debit card. In certain instances, even if we haven’t verified the required identifying information that you provide to us, your balance may also be used to fund payments or money owed to PayPal, such as payments on your PayPal Credit account or your PayPal Working Capital account, or monies owed for refunds or chargebacks.
If we have verified the required identifying information, a balance can be held in your PayPal account, transferred to a linked bank account or debit card, used to make purchases or send money to others. This functionality requires that you provide the required identifying information to us and that we are able to verify the accuracy of that information.

Withdrawing money
If you have a PayPal balance, you may withdraw it by:

Transferring it to a bank account linked to your PayPal account,
Transferring it to an eligible debit card linked to your PayPal account, subject to the fees applicable to such transfers that can be found on the Fees for Transferring Balance (for personal accounts) page and the Fees for Transferring Balance (for business accounts) page and that will be disclosed to you in advance each time you initiate such a withdrawal,
If we have verified the required identifying information you provided to us, withdrawing it from an ATM (automated teller machine) using your PayPal-branded debit card (fees may apply), or
If we have verified the required identifying information you provided to us, requesting a check from us (subject to a non-refundable fee of $1.50, which will be deducted from the amount of the withdrawal).
We may delay a withdrawal, in certain situations, including if we need to confirm that the withdrawal has been authorized by you or if other payments to your PayPal account have been reversed (for example, as a result of a chargeback, bank reversal or dispute by a buyer). Additionally, if we place a limitation on your PayPal account while a withdrawal from your PayPal account is pending, you will have to reinitiate the withdrawal once the limitation has been lifted.

We may set limits on your withdrawals, and you can view your withdrawal limit, if any, by logging into your PayPal account. Completing two out of three of the following steps can help us verify your PayPal account, which may allow us to remove any withdrawal cap:

• Verifying your bank account.
  • Linking and confirming your credit or debit card information.
  • Providing your social security number.

B benchwarmer380 in the PayPal app it now says "money is waiting for you", the balance, and then "claim it".

When you click "claim it" it asks what you want to do with it. Transfer to bank account or keep it in PayPal essentially. Then it asks to to confirm your identity and that they need a bit more info...

They recently locked my account and wouldn't unlock until I sent a copy of my passport to prove my identity, then a copy of a utility bill to prove my address. I almost told them to shove it, but PayPal is basically the only means I have to shop online.

I assume it was because I transferred money to my account when I was on holiday (out of country).

Be careful of the scam emails out there, Phishing for your personal info. They will inform you that your account has been locked and to unlock it, you need to verify personal information. The links they provide are very convincing. Folks, will log into their "paypal account" and "verify their info". The link is fake and you have just given them everything they need.

NEVER reply to an email or click a link from a "Paypal" address. Log into your account, manually and check your "Resolution Center"

Be careful of the scam emails out there, Phishing for your personal info. They will inform you that your account has been locked and to unlock it, you need to verify personal information. The links they provide are very convincing. Folks, will log into their "paypal account" and "verify their info". The link is fake and you have just given them everything they need.

NEVER reply to an email or click a link from a "Paypal" address. Log into your account, manually and check your "Resolution Center"

Yes, absolutely.

I did see a recent sales thread request F&F and then less visible or noticeable there was a bit about calculating fees for G&S but I don't care for this practice I feel prices should be listed as the total price no hidden fees so to speak.

So recently I received payment in the form of a PayPal E Check. I've never received payment in this form before, and leading up to the buyer checking out with his references (new member), and him paying soon, I advised him I'll have it sent out as within a day. I assumed that it would be a typical PayPal transaction, and didn't have a problem sending it out the next day. But then the E Check popped up and PayPal advised me not to send until the funds clear. I contacted the buyer and informed him of what PayPal said and included a screenshot of what it looks like on my end. I haven't heard back from the buyer. Am I acting in the wrong?

Not sure if PayPal works the same but in my experience with eChecks the funds don't clear immediately so you are right to hold on sending goods.

Back