• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Another Paypal Discussion

New feature on PP as of last week, if you have a debit card (checking account) linked and verified then you can get cash out transfers for $0.25 that show up in minutes. Convenient feature at least.

Seems like a double standard IMHO. Do you ever purchase any products that are not knives from people not involved with this forum? Do you have the same expectations? Maybe it just seems strange to me as an outsider/newcomer.

If someone donated a knife to a newcomer and just asked for shipping, would they also be considered greedy? They might not be paying for a dealer/vendor membership after all.
I honestly try not to, and I have yet to break that streak.

I have asked members of groups on Facebook if they have a profile on here, and since neither did, I declined to deal with them.

Why is it a double standard? It is the rules of this forum. A deal is notcomplete until the Buyer is content.

I will continue to support this forum and try to always remain a member in good standing. This place has become a friendly corner of the Internet with like minded folks. Who, for the most part, are a good group that try to look out for one another. Why would I not want have all of my second hand knife purchases through this forum? Especially if it means that I support those that support this forum monetarily?

For those that gift knives;
Asking for shipping fees to be covered is easily offset by the good deed they are doing. Even if the gifting party was originally gifted the knife, shipping should be paid by the receiving party 100% of the time.

If the person gifting the knife does not want this to occur, that is between those two parties, but if given the opportunity, it should always be the case.

Last edited:
Funny you mention this Bill!!
Had a heating call late Friday night from a new customer. He offered to pay me with PP.
Really wasn’t thrilled having to wait a week for an e check. He told me about the immediate transfer.
The $400 was in my account within a minute.
Cost me $0.25. Pretty cool feature!!
Joe

New feature on PP as of last week, if you have a debit card (checking account) linked and verified then you can get cash out transfers for $0.25 that show up in minutes. Convenient feature at least.

He told me about the immediate transfer.
The $400 was in my account within a minute.
Cost me $0.25. Pretty cool feature!!

PayPal used to delay 3-5 days before depositing money in the bank account and use the float to make money.

Yup. Took an e check once and it took 5 days to find out the check wasn’t good.
This feature is much better. They’re still making money, but at least you’re getting something for it.
I think it’s worth a quarter.
Joe

PayPal used to delay 3-5 days before depositing money in the bank account and use the float to make money.

Paypal F&F - or - add 15%

That's gotta be a record...I really wish PayPal took reports of this kind of abuse seriously:(

~Chip

I also haven't figured out Buyer Chooses Insurance or responsible for insurance or my responsibility end upon shipping nonsense.

As the buyer If I pay G&S and it doesn't arrive, I'll get my money back pretty much guaranteed as no delivery proof or proof of lost package on tracking screen.

The seller would get the transfer deducted from their account (net + fees from PAYPAL) and have no knife and no money and no insurance?

Any good reason sellers are choosing this clear path of insanity? What am I missing?

You aren’t missing anything at all brother.
Any sales thread demanding insurance be paid by the buyer should just be passed over.
That protection is strictly for the seller as he will receive the ins payment.
No reason for buyer to pay for ins....period.
Joe

I also haven't figured out Buyer Chooses Insurance or responsible for insurance or my responsibility end upon shipping nonsense.

As the buyer If I pay G&S and it doesn't arrive, I'll get my money back pretty much guaranteed as no delivery proof or proof of lost package on tracking screen.

The seller would get the transfer deducted from their account (net + fees from PAYPAL) and have no knife and no money and no insurance?

Any good reason sellers are choosing this clear path of insanity? What am I missing?

Is there no love for USPS MO and checks?
I accept those... but can't ship until it clears the bank. 1-3 weeks.... not to mention they need to be international(payable in Canada, eh?) which costs more. I have had to have multiple checks reissued by clients but still have it as an option.

I do love eTransfers... instant and secure and cheaper than Paypal.

:rolleyes:

Very relevant.
OK, to answer your question more directly...No I won't take MOs, they take several days to arrive, are often faked and there are very few legitimate reasons why Paypal can't be used. If someone won't use it and that's all I take then sorry but this probably isn't going to work out.

I know that is somewhat inflexible but it's the way that I'm comfortable doing business (on both sides) and that's all there is to it.

OK, to answer your question more directly...No I won't take MOs, they take several days to arrive, are often faked and there are very few legitimate reasons why Paypal can't be used. If someone won't use it and that's all I take then sorry but this probably isn't going to work out.

I know that is somewhat inflexible but it's the way that I'm comfortable doing business (on both sides) and that's all there is to it.

PayPal can set you up for a bad time if you have a bad buyer.

Is there no love for USPS MO and checks?

They are inconvenient and have a history of being faked, while PayPal is instantaneous and relatively secure from scams if used right.

I've taken MOs before, but it's not nearly as convenient as a simple Paypal transaction.

They are inconvenient and have a history of being faked, while PayPal is instantaneous and relatively secure from scams if used right.

I've taken MOs before, but it's not nearly as convenient as a simple Paypal transaction.

USPS MO's now have a barcode where they scan and verify that they're in the system and for the amount shown.

USPS MO's now have a barcode where they scan and verify that they're in the system and for the amount shown.

Good to know they're more secure now, but as evidenced by my post I wonder how much their history has damaged their current popularity.

I have taken money orders before. I have also paid with them (USPS money order). I have not encountered any issues on either end, not to say that they are foolproof, but they can be a viable option. Sometimes, they can be one of the only ways a buyer can pay. Take it case by case.

Obviously, common sense on the seller's part would dictate that the item is not shipped until the m.o. is received and/or deposited. That should clear up any issues. If the seller needs the money quickly for any reason, then Paypal would be the only sensible way to go; there would be no advantages to accepting a m.o. in that instance.

Recently, I myself started a Paypal specifically for the ease of buying and selling online, not just here in these forums, but anywhere. It has opened up a world of options for me that were previously unavailable. Instantaneous payment cannot really be beaten with any other method, and it allows the entire transaction to reach completion basically hassle free. You can even print postage from your house, having the mailman pick up your parcel.

Back