Any chance of a Camillus megafolder?

Hey Phil were are we at on the megafolder. I am so excited I am about to pee in my pants
wink.gif

But really I would like to know how You are doing. TIA
smile.gif

------------------
-Greg Johnson
ICQ#4236341

Phil, I own two CUDAS already and would by a megafolder from you guys ANYTIME. Keep up the great work.

I know I'm joining this thread really late, but I just wanted to make sure to add my "me too". I doubt that this would ever be an everyday carry knife for me, but I'd be interested in buying one anyway. I agree with various posters that I'd want it to be suitable as a utility knife and not just a fighter. This should be a great camp knife if done right. I like Jim March's suggestion of making sure that Edgeworks and maybe one or two other sheathmakers get early copies. The availability of aftermarket sheaths could be a real plus.

Flat grind would be great, saber or shallow hollow grind would be ok. I like Jim Mattis's point that it would be great to have it useful as a food prep knife.
smile.gif
I also like keeping the name sane. (Thanks for that.)

I normally dislike serrations, but I could live with the idea of 1" to 1 1/2" of serrations. Even better than putting them at the base, though, I like the idea of putting them on the belly with a plain edge at the tip and at the base. I understand that Mad Dog found that this was not the most popular serration pattern, but if you're going to have serrations, this strikes me as the most useful place for them.

------------------
Paul Neubauer
prn@bsu.edu

I think the megafolder idea is great and I would also buy one especiallly with a drop point blade and 420V. Sounds like a great hunting skinner to me. I noticed that Phil mentioned chromium nitride coating. Is this for additional corrosion resistance or just coloring the blade black? Thanks.

Alex

PS: Personally I would prefer satin finished 420v but I can live with whatever comes out.

WOW

I did not think this project had got off the ground except the Sifu.

Cool, now I am going to have to budget two big folders....

------------------
Check out the future possible Spyderco Worker 2000 www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000224.html

One may want to keep an Eye out for my review of the Bob Kasper designed, Kevin Gentile modified AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper. Sorry about the wait, my review and interview should be online shortly, luckily Spark has graciously offered to do the pictures, look for it right here at BladeForums.com.

Marion David Poff ska Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

"A journey of a thousand miles begins but with a single step" Lao-Tzu

Phil,

Can we have a little progress report, just to keep the fires of hope kindled?

PLEASE?....Pretty please with 420v shavings sprinkled on top?

YeK

Dragging this baby back to the top justto keep the flames of hope kindled..
smile.gif
..that and there are alot of new guys here now that might show some interest in this...

P.S. When Phil?

YeK

------------------
It is not a matter of whether or not you are paranoid, it is a matter of whether or not you are paranoid enough.

AKTI # A000348

I'd like to see what you can do with this Phil. Go for it, I'll give it a look and see what I think. 8in blade is a big blade....you really going to go that big?

Phil;
I think a big honkin'folder is a great idea. In answer to your questions about preferences
1. disc or button
2.Black Micarta handles. I have seen thin handles of Klozli knives twist enough to unlock.
3.Yes/Yes. Removeable/ambidextrous clip.
4.You want a tough knife? Make one with a D-2 blade.
5.I agree with a previous poster who said that an edge that was mostly plain, with only an inch or so of serrations near the choil would be great.
6.A 5.5" drop or clip point would be good, but a sax blade like the kershaw Random Task Knife is the most useful blade shape for me,and flat ground.

Additionally, the knife and its serrations should be completely ambidextrous and the handle should have any corners or edges rounded. BTW, a fixed versiol of this knife with a single finger guard would not be unwelcome
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by fudo (edited 29 August 1999).]

Just getting this thread back up top. C`mon Phil throw us a bone. Any little tidbit will do.
wink.gif
Marcus

Hmmmm no updates from Phil for almost 6 months now.... I`m affraid this one may have bit it.
frown.gif
Marcus

Hey Guys,
I'm just starting to get involved here, so I'll tell you what I know now, and get more for you ASAP.

The MEGAFOLDER concept brought up here on the forums, got Phil working on some concepts months back. The demands of a folder that size have had Phil rethinking the way parts of the knife will be engineered and constructed. Camillus now has a couple of Phil's new ideas under patent consideration. This has to be explored before we can say much else.

I will say this, ...we are committed to the project, it will effect many more future designs of ours, and if it goes the way we hope, its gonna be real cool.

I have probally said WAY too much already[especially for a 'new guy'], but the forumites have been in on this from the begining, and you deserve to be kept abreast. Please don't get carried away with questions about the details, because I can't get into them yet. Sorry for the 'teaser', but as soon as we can get more info, Phil and I will get it out to you.

One thing is for sure, Phil Gibbs is ALOT smarter than he looks.

------------------
Stay Sharp!
Will Fennell
Camillus Cutlery

Will-
Glad to hear you're proceeding with this project. As you can see from the response to the Sifu there is a market for megafolders, and not just in California. If you make it we will buy.

------------------
Ciao

Mike Melone
memelone@yahoo.com
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796

This is an excellent thread, glad it's been "dredged up." I'm working on some mega-folder ideas of my own and this info is priceless.

Also, BIG Kudos to Phil for crediting Reeve with the integral lock. he may not hold a patent and he may have been the only maker to think of it, but he popularized it and credit is due. If I choose to go with a Reeve-style or Pardue-style liner-lock on my folder, I will make sure I give credit for its inspiration.

I was also thrilled to see other folks considering the "double liner-lock" idea. Jim's notion of an unlocking ring is interesting
wink.gif
, though I've been thinking more of a swinging wedge that might be similar to what Aaron suggested.

-Drew

Ah, I figured that would stir things up a bit. Heh heh.
wink.gif
Thanks much for the update Will! Marcus

I recently met a guy in line at a gun store who had an interesting megafolder. It was a 6" blade Damascus Pat Crawford with a conventional TI linerlock system and a blade shape sorta like a Mad Dog AZ Hunter, high point and lots of belly.

The guy paid $650 and was very disappointed!

The knife was just too beefy for that lock. Push gently on the spine and the liner would slide a bit, there was no way in hell that sucker would last two seconds in Joe Talmadge's hands
wink.gif

If Phil is radically rethinking the lock due to heft concerns, he's got REAL good reason to do so!!! REKAT had an advantage because they already had an advanced lock strong enough to support a megafolder. The Rolling Lock's downside is that it's not the smoothest opener possible; by using it in a megafolder (Sifu) it will actually GET smoother because the extra blade heft will help snapopens.

But if Phil can build a megafolder-grade SMOOTH lock he'll have a BIG winner.

Jim March

The Thread continues!!!

That's what I really like about you guys, you never take NO for an answer!!

I have just returned from a meeting with our patent attorney & it seems that the BFF1 lock system is a GO for patent application!
I will be working with him for a couple of weeks so we can expedite the application.

We also are conducting several material evaluations so as to optimise the strength & durabiliy of the system.

Please stand by!

As to Will's comment that I am smarter than I look........... take it with a pinch of salt, I look pretty damn stupid!!

Thanks for all the patience & support! I promise to do all in my power to make it worth the wait.

Back