Attention Ask Ontario

You are correct. The Blackbird SK-4 and SK-5 have been discontinued and replaced by the Blackbird S35VN (7503) and the Blackbird ML5 (7502). The differences between the new models and old models are that the Blackbird S35VN has a steel change to a blade made from S35VN steel and the Blackbird ML 5 has change in the hilt material. Both the new models have the same blade and hilt configuration of the old models.

Hey Dan. I am looking to get an Rtak ii in 5160. Is it possible to identify one from the upc code? Date on the box? Any other way?

Unfortunately Ontario discontinued the 5160 blades about 10 years ago so I am afraid they are no longer available. As far as I know the only identifying mark of the 5160 bladed knives was the etching on the blade.

You wouldn't happen to be a fan of "Dune"? I noticed your "shigawire" tag.

Unfortunately Ontario discontinued the 5160 blades about 10 years ago so I am afraid they are no longer available. As far as I know the only identifying mark of the 5160 bladed knives was the etching on the blade.

You wouldn't happen to be a fan of "Dune"? I noticed your "shigawire" tag.
Ok, so there is no specific year range I could look for? The boxes are marked with a month/year.

And yes, from dune!!

I would say that they would have to be dated prior to 2012 or so. I introduced 5160 steel and heat treatment to Ontario about 2008 but the RTAK II was being made from 1095 at the time. I noticed we were having blade failures with the 1095, the geometry of the blade was really pushing the limits of the material (wide, long, thin and flat ground), so I suggested we change to a tougher steel/heat treatment. Sorry I can't be more definite on the dates.

I picked up an Ontario Ranger RD9 a couple of weeks ago. It was brand new, and what I think is leftover stock as they were discontinued years ago. Is it 5160? It’s the 1/4” version not the 1095 Bush ranger version.View attachment 2031650

Any chance Ontario will expand the USA made slipjoint line beyond the Old Hickory folder?

Mr. coolbreezy37- Initially all the Ranger knives were made from 5160 and I am not sure if and when they transitioned to 1075. I will inquire and let you know.

Mr. dundak- There isn't another Old Hickory folder in the 2023 product line up but I would assume that that Ontario would be interested in expanding the line. I will inquire.

Mr. coolbreezy37- It appears that the RD9 was discontinued before there was any transition to 1075, so all the RD9s were made from 5160.

Mr. dundak- There are no plans at the moment to expand the OH folder line.
Thank you for the information, the RD9 is a super solid knife and my dedicated camp knife at the moment.

I'm so glad you're here! I've wanted to ask this for ages:
I just fell in love with the Rat 1, having avoided it for years because of the hunchback look. I LOVE how it cuts! But is there a reason for the hunchback? Is there an advantage to having the blade higher than the handle? Could it be simply for visual effect?? Please tell me there is some pragmatic secret upgrade to serviceability here that I just can't figure out!

Last edited:
Back