Batoning, what is the controversy?

I often catch fish so big that I have to baton my fillet knife down the backbone.:D:D

That is only because everybody agrees that tarps are for sissies :p

-yeah it kind of amazes me too....then again, it has been a constant point of disagreement along with thick vs. thin blade since I joined this place :eek:

Well, naturally! *as he stealthily removes the tarp from his daypack*....:D

To contribute to diversifying our controversial interests, I'm going to start a "tarp or you're a 'tard" faction...

I like lengthy discussions because they prevent the place from going stagnant, promote learning, and facilitate the exchange of ideas; I just think there are far more worthy topics for all of our brain cells.

I often catch fish so big that I have to baton my fillet knife down the backbone.:D:D

Pics or it didnt happen! :p:D

My .02 time. I baton with my BK7. I did tonight, in fact. Aside from some scuff marks on the coating, it's no worse for wear. I know the knife can handle it, so it's no big deal. If people dont want to do it, they shouldnt do it. But, it's odd to say it's "abuse". In my case, it certainly is not. But, different strokes!

Oh, and Mike... I'll throw my Becker up against a Barkie any day, pound for pound! :p:D:p

As long as you used the proper tool(a smaller fish) as the baton, I see no problem with this sea story.

I baton my truffles before I eat them with my silver survival spoon.

Being on pain meds this forum makes an interesting stimulus...now I'm sitting here contemplating a highly polished silver spork....with holes drilled in the handle...

Thanks for that link, I enjoyed that very much. Some nice knives in that tutorial as well.

There's some Great Info. In that Tutorial, I like kgd 's Article's and Topic's, The one he did on Rick from Wilder Tool's was Great, But Ken Is Highly Educated, Yep there was some Real Nice Knive's In there he was even useing his Koyote Traditional Leuko In the one picture ! I heard from a Little Bird In The Wood's that Christof Is Doing a Small Run of the Traditional Leuko's so there may be a few available In the Future, :thumbup: :cool:

I Wow, I can't believe were argueing over the controversial-ness and technique of hammering with crescent wrenches :D

wow, liked that link, thank you. I even saw that vic rucksack I gave to ken in there, awesome. :D

Great write up though K, Its nice to see some good things come out of these batonning threads.

My favorite WSK got lost in a river taking an alligator about two months ago. If I had been stuck in those swamps, I would not have had a blade to baton with! In the woods to baton or not to baton shouldn't be the question, just don't lose your blade! Good thread, to all of you batoners and none batoners, have a Blessed Day!

...and Mike... I'll throw my Becker up against a Barkie any day, pound for pound! :p:D:p

I hear you brother. :thumbup: Those Becker’s can take it.

In fact one of my favorite Becker’s is a Magnum Camp Knife made by Mike Stewart during the Blackjack days.

Buy a Barkie as your batoning knife, :rolleyes:

…and give Mike Stewart those sleepless nights. :eek: :D :eek:

But my point was aimed at those afraid of damaging their investment by batoning. The Bark River no questions asked warrantee invites the user to explore a knives potential, and the free (except for S&H) re-sharpening/polishing service guarantees that beating on it won’t affect its value.

Big Mike

”Scaring the tree huggers.”

Forest & Stream

Mike,

Does your old Becker have the sheath that had the brass or steel pin (can't remember which) that mated up with the hole in the knife to secure it?

Mike,

Does your old Becker have the sheath that had the brass or steel pin (can't remember which) that mated up with the hole in the knife to secure it?

Yes it does, :thumbup: :cool: :thumbup:

...here are a few sheath shots.

If you look closely you can see the pin in the last photo.

Big Mike

”Scaring the tree huggers.”

Forest & Stream

Back