Beer of the Month Club

Saturday a bunch of us went out to a Cajun/ (real) BBQ restaurant. While the womanfolk were drinking cyclones, me and the guys were drinking Abita Ambers. Not a fan of their froo-froo fruity beers, but their Ambers are dead on, as far as I'm concerned. A bit stronger than a Yuengling, but not as hoppy as a Marzen. Me and another guy threw in a shot of moonshine for good measure with the first beer. I felt ansethetized after that. Tingly, light-headed. A bit of an out-of-body experience.

Yesterday, it was a growler of Long Island's finest - Blue Point Toasted Lager. A nice amber type with a smoky flavor to it. These guys were the first microbrewery on LI, and they're slowly picking up distibution.

My wife LOVES Abita Purple Haze.

I mean come on. Tastes like raspberries. Smells like flowers. Now that's MY kind of beer!

Had a couple Abita Ambers when I was down in the New Orleans area last spring. That's good stuff. Goes great with crawfish dishes :D

Abita Springs is in Louisianna, my home state, and I love almost everything they make.

Abita Springs is in Louisianna, my home state, and I love almost everything they make.

Speaking of Louisianna. Next thing we need to do is a mudbug boil. I'll buy the bugs and taters. You got a big ass pot?

I'm getting a case of a favorite beer in this week I hope.

Rogue beer's Morimoto Soba Ale. Fabulous stuff.

Yesterday, it was a growler of Long Island's finest - Blue Point Toasted Lager. A nice amber type with a smoky flavor to it. These guys were the first microbrewery on LI, and they're slowly picking up distibution.

Smokey eh? That sounds good.. Another one to add to the "Find locally" list

Beer definetally has its pluses; I get just as relaxed on half as much buzz with beer..

I gotta get back to beer... I finished off a bottle of tequila last night to clear my head after workin'.. 8 shots straight... sat and vegitated in front of the wood stove for a couple hours.

Damn this headache.. :rolleyes: Don't think I'll ever eat again...
First ever hang over for me. Interesting.

Ouch.

G.

Speaking of Louisianna. Next thing we need to do is a mudbug boil. I'll buy the bugs and taters. You got a big ass pot?

Whoa. Now you're talking. Nothing is better than a picnic table mounded with crawfish. Except maybe drinking beer to stop the burning of your lips!

Got a six pack of Odell "Extra Special Red" the other day. This is the hoppiest beer I've ever drank. Very powerful stuff. Kind of like a super-IPA with color. Not bad, but it's just a bit too hoppy for my taste. This is a beer that will make you sit up straight, that's for sure.

Smokey eh? That sounds good.. Another one to add to the "Find locally" list

There's another place around here, the Black Forest Brew Haus, that makes an awesome (if you like smokey) Rauschbier (smoked beer). It almost tastes like you're drinking bacon. Mmmmm, bacon. They don't do any distribution - I'm stopping by there tomorrow night to get my growler filled up.

Had a few Boulder Beer "Hazed and Infused" the other night with Andy. Very good dry hopped beer, crisp, medium body, slightly sweet caramel taste. Well worth a try.

I'm drinking a Sam Adams Black Lager right now. MMMMMM - It's freezin' cold outside and a perfect time fo the year for dark beer.

Whoa. Now you're talking. Nothing is better than a picnic table mounded with crawfish. Except maybe drinking beer to stop the burning of your lips!

Now were talking:thumbup:

Crawfish boils are one of the things I miss the most about living in the south.
I look forward to the crawfish fest in New Jersey once a year

famvac007.jpg

I need to make a trip back to the South for crawfish and sweet tea. Great stuff! Almost better than beer. Almost :D

Two of the three beers that I was drinking in Belgium are now sitting in my fridge. Duvel and Chimay Bleu (the top of the line 9% stuff). The third was the abbey style beer brewed by the local university in Gembloux, but it is only sold during special events in the town. GOOD stuff!!!!! It was a bit lighter in color (more reddish than brown) than the Chimay, which is pretty much opaque in the glass. Someone commented that they can only get Trappist/abbey ales in bottles over here. My impression was that you can normally only get most of them in bottles in Belgium as well. Most of those strong ales are "bottle conditioned" like champagne. More yeast is added when they are bottled so that they ferment more so they get stronger and more fizzie. A couple of Belgian guys said that they don't like English beers because they taste flat. Duvel actually has little strings of bubble coming up off of the bottom of the glass like champagne when you pour it. I have been a German pilsener/dunkels/bock and English bitter kinda guy for years, but I think I just switched my loyalties on this trip. The downside to the Belgian stuff is that it is EXPENSIVE over here. Fortunately, I don't drink that much.

Last edited:
Had a few Chimay's last Thanksgiving, those puppy's are a little too strong for my taste. Might as well just have moonshine!

Hey Dyl, I've got a CARLS JR EXTRA BIG ASS POT!!! Name the time and place:D

Going to use it to fry up a couple o' turkeys for Thanksgiving, yuuuumm, fried turkey:p

Back