Beer of the Month Club

I'm going to give the abbey ales another shot this weekend - I've got a bottle of Corsendonk Christmas Ale waiting for me at home. I haven't been able to touch the stuff since the Packers/Giants playoff game last year. My two favorite teams, in Lambeau Field, in a ridiculous amount of snowfall, in what looked like it might be Brett Favre's last game.

The Innis & Gunn (BEST BEER EVER - aged in bourbon barrels) went down great, the Unibroue La Terrible went down even better, then the Delirium Tremens, and then my BIL and I got the great idea to crack open the Woodford Reserve Sonoma-Cutrer Reserve bourbon (since the Innis & Gunn had a similar taste profile). I can't touch that Woodford Reserve or the Innis & Gunn to this day, so I have to stop being a victim and take back the abbey ales!

I'm trying out something new right now.

Wathcin' the Eagles catch an a$$ whoopin'....

Tyskie it is. A Polish import. Not that bad.

Went to that Black Forest Brew Haus on the way home on Friday. No Rauschbier, but they did have smokey porter, coming in at 6.5%. VERY Tasty. Not as smokey as the Rauschbier, but enough to perfectly counterbalance the sweetness of the Porter. A very enjoyable brew. Too bad it's gone and I don't have an excuse to stop by da Haus.

You guys are making me cry. I'm in Japan with beer that tastes like slightly metallic water.
George Gale & Co HSB (Horndean Special Bitter) from my home country England. That was my beer of choice. Can't wait to head back.

I had the Sweetwater Motorboat seasonal last night. It is their version of an ESB(extra special bitter). Pretty mellow and caramelish. Tasty. You old sailor you!!!

Get jealous fellas - I just picked up some 120 minute IPA by Dogfishead from a local liquor store yesterday. $8 for a 16oz bottle, I got two. They only got one case in.

I drank one last night - holy crap is it strong :) They had World Wide Stoudt in also.

I had a new beer this month. It's Sweetwater's Happy Ending. A very stout stout. Almost like drinking grapefruit juice, with an effervescent ending. 9%, and definitely worth it when you want a "big" beer.

Hm...Sweetwater's in Atlanta, right, Andy? Is that the place near the park? I haven't spent any time at all in ATL since late 2001. Might be a good place to meet for Georgians.

John

They're a GA brewer. I don't know where in Atlanta though. But definitely a good meeting spot. Of course, they have good beer at Fogo's...

I feel almost ashamed to admit it, but the only thing I dig at Fogo's is the salad bar.

Sweetwaters brewery is just north of downtown Atlanta, not near the park unfortunately. They do however do a "tasting tour" where for like $10 bucks, you get a glass and all the beer you can drink from their vats from 5-7 or something. They'll also give you a tour of the brewery, it's pretty cool and definately worth it.

I had some "Pranquester" Belgium Ale, similar to Duvel and pretty damn good.

Myright, I'd love to get my hands on some of that 120 IPA. The 90 has recently become one of my fav's. Had a 4 pack of them a couple weeks ago over at Andy's and man, I thought I was going to hurl on the way home. Forgot just how strong those fockers are!

I haven't been able to drink anything but Corona for a while now. I had a wicked ass stomach virus about two months ago and had a belly full of Jameson's and Guinness when it took hold. I barfed so much beer and liquor that it kinda ruined me for a while. I'll get back to them, but it's definitely a process.

Sweetwaters brewery is just north of downtown Atlanta, not near the park unfortunately. They do however do a "tasting tour" where for like $10 bucks, you get a glass and all the beer you can drink from their vats from 5-7 or something. They'll also give you a tour of the brewery, it's pretty cool and definately worth it.

Okay, I'm not sure what that little bar/brewery near the park is. Anyway, we should schedule one of the tours of Sweetwater during the summer.

But we need several designated drivers!!!

John

Drinking a bit of bourbon tonight (my foremost true love in alcohol). Evan Williams Single Barrel. This 1998 stuff isn't as good as the 97 stuff I got hold of last year, unfortunately, but it's still pretty good stuff. This bottle is going to be gone pretty soon, looking forward to replacing it.

Have had a couple interesting beers lately as well. Just picked up some Sam Adams Imperial Stout the other day. Sam Adams brews can be hit or miss. They seem to throw twists into more classic styles that either work or don't. This one is borderline for me. I love imperial stouts, but this one is very sweet and has a licorice flavor to it that I'm not sure if I like or not. Otherwise it is very good.

Also got a Breckenridge Avalanche amber ale. This is a keeper. Lots of good subtle flavors, I would say. Goes great with food.

My local distributor recently got six taps and are now selling growlers of interesting, hard to find beers in a constantly changing fashion. So far my favorite has been McGovern's Oatmeal Stout from Belfast Bay Brewing Company. A real chewy stout, makes you feel like you're drinking breakfast, and heck, sometimes you may be doing just that. The thing has a head that just won't quit either - perfect for a growler.

Sorry to hear about your pain Dyl, sounds like something out of A Clockwork Orange. Best way to get back on the horse is to pick yourself up some good strong bourbon and burn the adversive conditioning right out of ya!

like andy i like sierra nevada pale ale along with the bigfoot ale....i also like white hawk IPA, and mirror pond pale ale. sam stout is up there...but my #1 and im sure andy can get some and all you other southerns is ABITA TURBO DOG! i had it in NO and boy....good times! also stone breweries in san diego makes a good bastard ale!

Have not had a pint in a while, I too have been sipping bourbon lately. We had the folks over for dinner so I poured a few home brewed Oatmeal Stouts from the tap. I also had a couple Dogfish 60 minute IPAs. The "three amigos" get together and brew 5 and 10 gallon all grain ales and lagers, so I don't buy often but when I do - Dogfish 60 and 90 minute are a standard. Tonight I am going to sample a Barleywine we brewed about a year ago.

Cheers,

Back