Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Thanks Jack. I’ve been on an Americano kick lately, but figured I’d stop mid-process for a photo with the double shot of espresso.

Me too Greg, though I do love a hearty double espresso from time to time :) That was a beautiful crema there, must have made for a delicious Americano :) :thumbsup:

I do believe it is that time of day.

7l09yyQ.jpg

Another wonderful photo Dylan, you should make up a calendar for next year! :D :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black That shiraz gave me shivers of old remembered delight, as I do love a shiraz and its North American cousin, petite sirah. And I started to go to the cellar to retrieve a shiraz until my wife reminded me that tonight was half-priced burgers at one of our favorite spots. It was there that a post by @5K Qs tipped me to a seasonal brew, a Paulaner Oktoberfest with a Hen & Rooster (Bertram/A.G. Russell) CM-9 at its base. Cheers, y'all!!

UIVYDal.jpg

- Stuart

I can't blame you for being seduced by half-priced burgers, and that tasty beer Stuart :) I have always enjoyed Syrah and Shiraz, but find it bizarre that because of its popularity, some French wineries are now referring to their Syrah as Shiraz (much the same in La Mancha, where they now call their Cencibel, Tempranillo) :rolleyes:

Cool pic Taylor :) :thumbsup:

Another wonderful photo Dylan, you should make up a calendar for next year! :D :thumbsup:

Not that Pàdruig Pàdruig needs another project, but that's a wonderful idea, Jack. :D

Edit: I'm not suggesting you actually do this, Dylan. I think we'd all rather have you hanging out here than holing up somewhere bleary-eyed from editing calendar photos. ;)

Last edited:
Not that Pàdruig Pàdruig needs another project, but that's a wonderful idea, Jack. :D

Edit: I'm not suggesting you actually do this, Dylan. I think we'd all rather have you hanging out here than holing up somewhere bleary-eyed from editing calendar photos. ;)

Yes indeed ;) :D :thumbsup:

I've not actually been carrying this knife today, but it seemed appropriate ;) Picked up the beer last week, from a Dutch brewery, only read that it was a 'Nitro Strawberry Milk Stout' after I started drinking it! :rolleyes: Not bad, the strawberry is very subtle :thumbsup:

I've not actually been carrying this knife today, but it seemed appropriate ;) Picked up the beer last week, from a Dutch brewery, only read that it was a 'Nitro Strawberry Milk Stout' after I started drinking it! :rolleyes: Not bad, the strawberry is very subtle :thumbsup:

Taylor and Jack, my hat is off to you intrepid zymurgicalogical explorers. I’m not sure I would have been brave enough to try either of those, but, for the good of science, I suppose, you did. :D And with fine companion cutlery, I might add. :thumbsup:

How were they?

Taylor and Jack, my hat is off to you intrepid zymurgicalogical explorers. I’m not sure I would have been brave enough to try either of those, but, for the good of science, I suppose, you did. :D And with fine companion cutlery, I might add. :thumbsup:

How were they?

LOL! :D Thanks Greg, I think Taylor has the edge on me by a long way though :) :thumbsup:

That one was pretty nice, no complaints at all :thumbsup:

... I have always enjoyed Syrah and Shiraz, but find it bizarre that because of its popularity, some French wineries are now referring to their Syrah as Shiraz (much the same in La Mancha, where they now call their Cencibel, Tempranillo) :rolleyes:
Jack, the syrah is typically a French grape, and partly Swiss, where the Rhône flows. When you drink a Côte du Rhone, it is mostly syrah (around 80%), be it from St Joseph, l'Hermitage or a simple Village. It has been planted in Australia and elsewhere, but genetics says the origin is in Drôme vineyards.
There are tons of different names for the syrah, among which Shiraz, adopted by the Australian producers, one could believe to prevent any comparison. For commercial reasons, some French producers now are allowed to be named just Syrah (or other grapes - traditionally only Alsace and some Loire/Anjou wines were allowed, cabernet, gros-plant), they are often the good old edw (every day wine:)) "vins de pays" (not "vin de table" which must remain ignored).
My personal fav is Côte-roties.
The petite-syrah is a different grape, named Durif in France from the name of the guy who grafted syrah and another grape, it is quite abandonned here.
Spanish grapes also have been widely exported in the world, but being far from having dealt with all our varieties I can't speak for them.

Thank you, fellas. I cannot say that my photography is nice enough to warrant a calendar but it certainly isn't a bad idea. What would be finer to look at every day than fine knives and beverages?

View attachment 1004776
Sours are an novelty but Ommegang is a favorite brewery. This one is a good example of sour ale.

Sours are kind of a thing over here, though I am not entirely sure why, other than that it seems to be one of many "trends". That being said, I have been known to enjoy a sour here and there, though I am very picky. I am more partial to the fruit based variety, the Belgian Lambics being amongst my favorites. Still, it isn't generally my ale/beer of choice...

Enjoying this hefty Triple this evening. Produced in Canada, I believe.

JeblAfs.jpg

Thank you, fellas. I cannot say that my photography is nice enough to warrant a calendar but it certainly isn't a bad idea. What would be finer to look at every day than fine knives and beverages?

Sours are kind of a thing over here, though I am not entirely sure why, other than that it seems to be one of many "trends". That being said, I have been known to enjoy a sour here and there, though I am very picky. I am more partial to the fruit based variety, the Belgian Lambics being amongst my favorites. Still, it isn't generally my ale/beer of choice...

JeblAfs.jpg
Sours do seem to be a fad picked up from an older tradition of brewing. The fancier name is “Gose” I think.

I have tried and liked lambics, but I prefer Trappist or Abbey ales. Unibroue also make a beer called Tres Pistoles that’s tasty.

Sours are an novelty but Ommegang is a favorite brewery. This one is a good example of sour ale.
Joshua that scout is so wonderful, simply exquisite. Okay, I'm gonna shut up about it but I'm thinkin it every time you post it. Very happy for you my friend. Duncan is a prince. :)

Dylan I so enjoy the quality and serenity of your images.

Joshua that scout is so wonderful, simply exquisite. Okay, I'm gonna shut up about it but I'm thinkin it every time you post it. Very happy for you my friend. Duncan is a prince. :)

Dylan I so enjoy the quality and serenity of your images.

It is a beauty! Thanks for sharing the love. No shame in admiring--there are dozens of knives I see posted on the forum that I ogle. It's all fun. I'll have to find a way to crown Duncan properly.

Back