• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

bh49 is not bad news - beware of Tulku.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not taking sides either, but I must admit to being confused. Others have commented about trying to resolve this prior to going public.....I thought the OP did that....I thought the emails showed that?? I know I'm new here, but I thought negative feedback was the next step after trying to resolve this privately?? My questions are motivated solely with the intention of learning......why would the OP continue to post in this thread when he gets hammered every time??

Not taking sides but did they not leave negative feedback for each other?

I'm not taking sides either, but I must admit to being confused. Others have commented about trying to resolve this prior to going public.....I thought the OP did that....I thought the emails showed that?? I know I'm new here, but I thought negative feedback was the next step after trying to resolve this privately?? My questions are motivated solely with the intention of learning......why would the OP continue to post in this thread when he gets hammered every time??

From what I gathered, he had an unreasonable expectation for the seller to refund his money before he returned the knife. That's just not how it works and he was unwilling to accept that, so he came here talking bad about the seller and also left him some negative feedback I'm pretty sure most of the other folks here as well as most businesses throughout the world would not issue a refund until they got their product back to make sure it's the same one they sent out. The buyer just seems to be stubborn and doesn't want to admit to being wrong, or just flat out doesn't grasp the concept, so he's ignoring everyone now.

I would agree to the stubborn part, but the part that has caused me pause is the part where seller stated he would take the knife back and inspect it. That doesn't sound like a solid..."I'll simply refund your money since you're not happy" moment. I'm not saying the seller wouldn't ultimately refund the purchase price....just not how I'd handle it if I was the seller.

From what I gathered, he had an unreasonable expectation for the seller to refund his money before he returned the knife. That's just not how it works and he was unwilling to accept that, so he came here talking bad about the seller and also left him some negative feedback I'm pretty sure most of the other folks here as well as most businesses throughout the world would not issue a refund until they got their product back to make sure it's the same one they sent out. The buyer just seems to be stubborn and doesn't want to admit to being wrong, or just flat out doesn't grasp the concept, so he's ignoring everyone now.

I would also say that a previous poster's comment asking why the OP hasn't returned to this thread after being "raked over the coals" doesn't inspire any confidence over treatment other than that. OP may deserve nothing but that.....but advertising same doesn't inspire open communication......just my opinion....YMMV. Sounds more like a Whine and Cheese thread....or post.

Last edited:
Like I mentioned before, it's not unheard of for someone to buy a knife, claim it's defective and send a different defective or fake knife back. I'm sure that when the seller said he wanted to inspect the knife, he wanted to make sure it was the same knife in the same condition that he sent out. The buyer seemed to take offense to that, claiming the seller accused him of being dishonest or whatever, but I just see it as a perfectly reasonable precautionary measure. Nothing to get angry or be offended about.

This whole thing seems like trust and communication issues. I have had multiple lockbacks, some did have horrendous play, others were nearly rock solid. Only a select few had absolutely no play. It is entirely possible the Dragonfly was just over the play threshold for the buyer. However much play it had, the seller seems to feel it is normal (again, a little play is almost expected). The fingerprints on the knife basically shouldn't have been mentioned, if anything is shows the knife was inspected by the seller, it comes across as a jab at the seller.

The trust issues come in with the return. If I bought a bumper knife and the seller said he would have to inspect the knife before issuing the refund I would be nervous too. Both sides in this situation could easily pull a fast one on the other side. On the flip side if I sold a knife that passed my standards and the buyer claims it to be junk I would know something was up, and want to make sure I'm not being played.

Basically this is a situation that a mediator would be very helpful for. You can say high feedback is proof the seller is good, because people have pulled worse for less with higher feedback. A mediator could inspect the knife on both ends and say if it is the same or different, if play increased or condition worsened. Sadly hindsight is 20/20.

Can Roman's full name be removed from the first post? It's bothering me to think that he's unaware that it's there and that he'd be bothered if he knew.

Edit: I think he knows. Should probably be removed though.

What emails are your referring to? I have seen no screenshots of emails in this thread. The only bit that comes close is in post #7 where the seller quoted one of emails that he received. Everything else presented in this thread by the parties involved are their points of view (color commentary included) of how this played out.

Both parties (especially the OP as he started this thread) should continue posting as long as the issue is not resolved and there are still points up for contention.
The OP posted his side of the story and then the seller refuted a good number of the buyer's claims.See this post. The OP has posted 3 times in this thread since and has ignored or neglected to address them. Why? No clue, but now I must draw my own conclusions and they do not bode well for the OP.

this is the lie. I never asked you to post my name. You threatened me to post my name and address.

And this right here gets my goat. The OP's opening line in this "cautionary/warning thread" is "warning: bh49 is not an honest guy" yet when the OP posts and the person he is blasting claims it is a lie, all we hear are crickets.

"All the pieces matter."

I wasn't specifically saying WE had all emails.......I was alluding to the fact the OP and seller had exchanged emails. That would indicate....unless I'm mistaken.....the two did discuss this prior the original post. It is my understanding that once the private communication avenue has been exhausted, the next step is either negative feedback, involvement by the moderators, posting in the GBU or some combination of the above.

As far as the OP continuing to post in this thread.......I would assume that becomes something of a personal decision. I think the OP did explain his position......we may not like it, but he did explain it. I'm only guessing that he doesn't feel the points of contention for us are points of contention for him.....or are in need of further discussion. My overall point was castigating him for not returning to the thread after being "raked over the coals." If we're looking for further information/posting from the OP........that isn't the way to welcome further dialogue. Finally, it was made readily apparent from early posts that people had made up their minds and were no longer going to deal with the OP.....putting him on the ignore list.......stating they wouldn't do business with him. I can't argue people's personal feelings in this matter.....it just paints the OP into a corner from the outset. In other words.....if people have already formed opinions, why bother further?? Regardless of his posting, fault was found with his words......

Here's hoping for a speedy and satisfactory conclusion to this.....it has been enlightening to me for sure.

What emails are your referring to? I have seen no screenshots of emails in this thread. The only bit that comes close is in post #7 where the seller quoted one of emails that he received. Everything else presented in this thread by the parties involved are their points of view (color commentary included) of how this played out.

Both parties (especially the OP as he started this thread) should continue posting as long as the issue is not resolved and there are still points up for contention.
The OP posted his side of the story and then the seller refuted a good number of the buyer's claims.See this post. The OP has posted 3 times in this thread since and has ignored or neglected to address them. Why? No clue, but now I must draw my own conclusions and they do not bode well for the OP.

And this right here gets my goat. The OP's opening line in this "cautionary/warning thread" is "warning: bh49 is not an honest guy" yet when the OP posts and the person he is blasting claims it is a lie, all we hear are crickets.

"All the pieces matter."

Last edited:
Sorry, I misunderstood.

After private communication fails, posting here and perhaps involving a mod to help it get resolved would be the best course of action. Leaving feedback should be the last thing you do, not something you do the same day that you post your GBU thread.

Yes, it is a personal decision. However, if you start a thread here you should stay involved until it is resolved, not bail after you are called a liar (on page 1). Which is exactly what the OP did. It is quite amazing too since he had the gall to question the buyer's honor in his very first sentence yet wouldn't even defend his own.

I agree that posts like "this dudes on my ignore lists" don't really help the situation at all. Yet based on the buyers and sellers posts here I can totally see why they came to their conclusions.

Hopefully the last update.
I received my knife today. Sorry gentlemen, but I didn't find any excessive bladeplay. It is there, but not more than on any of my mid-locks and I have about ten of them in use. Mostly Spydercos made in Golden and by Moki.
All money returned.

BH49 great to hear a resolution had been achieved..

This is almost certainly the wrong place to talk about this but after hearing talk about how common blade play is in Spyderco lockbacks, I was really surprised. I pulled out the six I own (one of which is at least 15 years old) and could detect only microscopic blade play on them. Like, so little blade play that you might suspect it's frame flex. Is that how little we are talking about here or did I just get super lucky with all my Spydercos?

Hey not to sound funny but was the knife the one u sent?
I hope this is finally over for all parties involved

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Typically, you can look at a members post count and make a good assumption what brand of knife they are the most passionate about, the knowledge they have of the knife brand. In this case, I would have no issues buying a Spyderco from bh49. He wouldn't sell you a fake, one that was out of spec, and list flaws before selling.
I have no issues with folks that do mostly buying, selling or trading to contribute to this site, however, I have more confidence in buying from someone who is passionate about a particular brand.
You bring up some good points..some I never really thought of. Thanks!:thumbup:

Because Roman has been around here and on spyderco forums for a long time. He is a good guy and would risk his rep over a dragonfly, or any other knife for that matter.

Russ

Either you can't be bothered to actually read what people post or your reading comprehension skills are..lacking.

I will quote what I originally posted:

*Note..my question has nothing to do with the buyer or seller in this thread..just a general type question.

Bummer that the deal went south. Sucks to be out shipping costs on a non defective knife, but probably worth that cost to put the drama behind you.

Hopefully the last update.
I received my knife today. Sorry gentlemen, but I didn't find any excessive bladeplay. It is there, but not more than on any of my mid-locks and I have about ten of them in use. Mostly Spydercos made in Golden and by Moki.
All money returned.

Glad it ended well for all.

The thing that is truly amazing
All avenues of a resolution were not
used or a full agreement not made--Full communication..
seems to have broken down somewhere along the way..
Or the BUYERS extremely high expectations where not met
Thats evident..

Getting a Mod involved should have been a priority if
the buyer was unhappy..
But negative feedback.. Certainly not necessary..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back