Bob Cargill Cripple Creek Knives

A Cargill stamped folder. Notice the blade etching. There's a few Cripple Creek folders with this etching and the Cripple Creek tang stamp.
They're like hens teeth.
Greg

orig.jpg
What a fine stag folder. Would you happen to have the dimensions?

A Cargill stamped folder. Notice the blade etching. There's a few Cripple Creek folders with this etching and the Cripple Creek tang stamp.
They're like hens teeth.
Greg

orig.jpg
Not sure when this particular blade etching came in, but Cargill was using it in 1983. That would explain the Cripple Creek tang stamps. This is really a good one!

Photos of Chief Anderson knives on page 3 have been updated.
Guys, in the future do yourself a favor and don't use any fabric, towels, or anything red or orange for the background when taking photos of your knives.
To be short, It just screws everything up.
Greg
Which now means the sole missing piece of the "known" Chief Anderson knives is the green handle toothpick!

Last edited:
Cargill was using that etching before Cripple Creek started. There are but a few Cripple Creeks with the "Cargill Knives" blade etching and
a Cripple Creek tang stamp..
The same applies to knives with the Cripple Creek blade etching and a Cargill stamp..
In both instances there may be only "1". I have seen them both ways but can't recall if it was the same knives I saw twice.
That is the only reason I used the word "few". Could only be one of each.
Greg

Last edited:
Cargill was using that etching before Cripple Creek started. There are but a few Cripple Creeks with it.
There are a few with Cripple Creek etching and a Cargill tang stamp.
In both instances there may be only "1". I have seen them both ways but can't recall if it was the same knives I saw twice.
That is the only reason I used the word "few". Could only be one of each.
Greg
I have a couple different ones with those stamps, I'll see if I can dig them out..

Mitch, are you referring to the stamps or the blade etching? Cargill made custom knives while Cripple Creek knives were being made.
These would have the Cargill tang stamp and on multi-blade customs sometimes the secondary blades
would just have a "C" as a tang stamp. Sometimes a secondary blade would have the year it was made stamp.
Greg

Last edited:
The Chief Anderson knives on page 3 has been updated to include images of 14 of the 15 knives in the series.
We're still missing the big Coke Bottle.
Thanks Mitch.
Greg

Last edited:
Voyles latest auction has 3 Cargill knives that I didn't see listed in this thread yet. View attachment 1133211 View attachment 1133212 View attachment 1133213
Interesting to note that both the Mohawk and the Oak Leaf are noted on Voyles has having extremely stiff springs making it difficult to operate the unlocking of the blade. I've seen several of each of these two knives, all with that same difficulty. Great knives, nonetheless. On the other hand, all the arrowheads have been very nice to operate. This one just happens to be a bit nicer than most! Really great engraving! Nice post, Rookie!

Last edited:
The Chief Anderson knives are a 15 knife collection of mostly 10 made of each knife. There are 2 patterns of 20 pieces. If you go looking thru the history books for Chief Anderson
you won't find squat. A man by the name of Frank Phelps was a good friend of Cargill and commissioned him to produce the Chief Anderson knives.
Frank was known to his friends as "Chief" and he lived in Andersonville. That's where the name came from. Frank also supplied some of the scale material
which is on the large banana trappers, coke bottle, toothpick and the saddlehorn. Frank Phelps had friends who worked for Queen and KABAR
and got the material from one of them. KABAR used it on Limited Edition
trapper with a dogs head shield. View attachment 1147658
There are 13 knives in the catalog page plus two that are not. A total of 15 knives.
Greg

orig.jpg

This is knife number 14. A 2 blade trapper. The one in the catalog is a single blade with a spear point blade.
Knife number 15 is the White Bone Coke Bottle in the next post.

orig.png
Below are 14 images of the 15 Chief Anderson Knives.
To date, we are still missing the large Coke Bottle that is in the catalog above.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

This White Bone Coke Bottle below is the 15th Chief Anderson.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Regarding the knife below, there is a typo in the 1985 Smoke Signals that lists this knife as 1 of 10.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Below is possibly a prototype for the single blade muskrat Chief Anderson knife.

orig.jpg

The greenbone toothpick.

orig.jpg
Found the following picture of the large laminate coke Chief Anderson on the AAPK site. I believe that makes 15! Would be nice if I could get it onto page three with the rest.1539651069_141_1.jpg

Below are 14 images of the 15 Chief Anderson Knives.
To date, we are still missing the large Coke Bottle that is in the catalog above.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

This White Bone Coke Bottle below is the 15th Chief Anderson.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Regarding the knife below, there is a typo in the 1985 Smoke Signals that lists this knife as 1 of 10.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Below is possibly a prototype for the single blade muskrat Chief Anderson knife.

orig.jpg

The greenbone toothpick.

orig.jpg
2.jpg1.jpg
This is by Bob Cargill about the Chief Anderson knives.

Found these two about Chief Anderson on the web.

Attachments

• Chief Anderson 1.jpg
    Chief Anderson 1.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Chief Anderson.jpg
    Chief Anderson.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 12
Back