Brass is back on the menu... GEC #44

I got mine in cocobolo. It's a beautiful knife. As soon as I heard about the brass and cocobolo I knew it would be great, but this looks even better than I expected. Beautiful grain on the scales. I love the brass with the unique shield, stamp, bolsters, etc. It also has great action and no blade play. The main blade was closer to proud than I like, but that was easily fixable. There is a small gap on the pile side between the spring and liner of the main blade, but that's not something I care much about. The pen blade came off center and I think it actually worsened, because it got to where it was touching the liner. Really great looking knife I'm very happy to have though and it almost makes me want to keep it as a collection piece and get an ebony version before they're all gone.

b4qibDBl.jpg

TcXaeEdl.jpg

Wow these Cocobolo examples are stunning. It's making it really hard to resist the urge to add one on.
I must stay strong... and hold out for the stag version... Either/or another one will be along shortly :D

I saw something a few minutes ago when looking at the original GEC poster of the #44 Gunstock knives. I just noticed that even though the stag knife is a Northfield branded knife, it has the Tidioute bolsters, and to me it seems the only thing making it a Northfield is the long pull. I wish the bolsters were finished like the brass ones, only in nickel silver. JMHO.
Larry

Cocobolo is one of the oiliest woods and retains it for an indeterminate length of time even after many years. The reason it darkens is just dirt. To brighten up my cocobolo users I just clean them with soap and water with a sponge and wipe them dry..
That’s good to know for the maintenance on 3 knives that I have in Cocobolo. Looked dry but what I do I know lol .
But I do know my second 44 cocobolo is waiting for me at home :D Can’t wait to check this one out !

Well my second Cocobolo arrived and wouldn’t you know it’s another great example . So now I’m having the delema of which one to carry and which one to make a safe queen . The walk and talk on this one may be a touch better but we’re splitting hairs here .But The cocobolo I like better on my first one lol.
The fit and finish on both are perfection! They both check all the boxes in every area for “my”boxes of happiness anyway. :)
QExfSrI.jpg

YZaYjM1.jpg

Well my second Cocobolo arrived and wouldn’t you know it’s another great example . So now I’m having the delema of which one to carry and which one to make a safe queen . The walk and talk on this one may be a touch better but we’re splitting hairs here .But The cocobolo I like better on my first one lol.
The fit and finish on both are perfection! They both check all the boxes in every area for “my”boxes of happiness anyway. :)
QExfSrI.jpg

YZaYjM1.jpg
Nice photos...your cocobolo shade is really close to mine. I was trying to take some good photos of it to show the darker cocobolo variation as compared to a lot of the lighter, redder variations seen in this thread. Although I prefer that on pretty much any other knife and I do love it on the 44s I've seen thus far, I was secretly hoping I would get the darker cocobolo for this particular pattern and really glad I did. For me, it better resembles an actual gunstock in brass trim and reminds me a lot of an old Henry rifle...just more of what I had in mind when I envisioned what this would look like. I talked a good talk but there is just no way I can keep this one in the safe like I had anticipated...just way too nice to leave untouched! And looks aside, both of my 44s are nearly flawless in f&f and w&t (I even got a button too). I am super pleased.

Nice photos...your cocobolo shade is really close to mine. I was trying to take some good photos of it to show the darker cocobolo variation as compared to a lot of the lighter, redder variations seen in this thread. Although I prefer that on pretty much any other knife and I do love it on the 44s I've seen thus far, I was secretly hoping I would get the darker cocobolo for this particular pattern and really glad I did. For me, it better resembles an actual gunstock in brass trim and reminds me a lot of an old Henry rifle...just more of what I had in mind when I envisioned what this would look like. I talked a good talk but there is just no way I can keep this one in the safe like I had anticipated...just way too nice to leave untouched! And looks aside, both of my 44s are nearly flawless in f&f and w&t (I even got a button too). I am super pleased.
These 44’s are special ones no doubt .
I still can’t decide which one will be my carry so there both back into the safe so I can give it some more thought .

Just out of curiosity, did the cocbolo 44’s come with a button? Mine didn’t.

So I’ve had my cocbolo for about a week now and have been carrying it almost everyday with some light use (mail opening, stubborn bags of candy for the kids, etc.) the brass is starting to show some wear which is the look I’m going for.

As far as the scales, I find it interesting how one side is dark and the other is red(er) with some very interesting grain/pattern (almost acrylic like). The darker side actually has some red cloud like patterns when viewed outside.

I was only able to snap a quick indoor picture of my 44. So hopefully it does some justice.

92E67D7A-FFDA-4B30-BEAF-60A1469F3B84.png 4067D2B9-3407-4490-B83F-BCBC654BE1E9.png

I'm not sure I see much difference. All I see is my eyes light up. Gorgeous example. Still waiting for mine.

I want a full report, Paul! Almost ordered one but wanted to wait and see first.

Back