• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Can one say it is SERVICE at all? Who will buy a knife from Darrel Ralph now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ralph, I don't actually have a dog in this particular fight, but as a potential customer, it strikes me that an apology on a forum is one thing and action to correct an ongoing situation is another. What exactly have you done to alleviate this particular problem and the many others of note lately?…..beyond the written apology. Thanks

Paul

Paul,

When DDR Customs makes a mistake, we correct it to the best of our ability to assure that we have done the right thing. I have offered this gentleman email correspondence to work through the issue with him personally to satisfaction. Our Customer service procedure is to evaluate each situation, tweak our service from what we have learned from each event. Our goal is to move the 99.6 percent satisfaction to 100 percent as most humans try to achieve.
My email is posted here right now. Anyone can email with any issues and we will work through it with them to satisfaction.

That is the action we take other than an apology Paul and we thank you for pointing that out.

Paul,

When DDR Customs makes a mistake, we correct it to the best of our ability to assure that we have done the right thing. I have offered this gentleman email correspondence to work through the issue with him personally to satisfaction. Our Customer service procedure is to evaluate each situation, tweak our service from what we have learned from each event. Our goal is to move the 99.6 percent satisfaction to 100 percent as most humans try to achieve.
My email is posted here right now. Anyone can email with any issues and we will work through it with them to satisfaction.

That is the action we take other than an apology Paul and we thank you for pointing that out.

So you will refund him the $1200, pay for shipping back to your company (should be fair considering it would 2nd time return) as he had asked WITHOUT putting him under duress so he sign a Non disclosure agreement? He gave your company MULTIPLE chances you guys broke every single promise and your manager even accused him of "unreasonable expectations" that were set by none other than YOUR company.
The customer came in with a blank check as far as time frame. You guys gave him a 2 week time frame. Then a 4-6 week time frame, then after 5 weeks in again another 4-6 week time frame that miraculously turned into a 1 week time frame?

Let's see if the gentleman (and purchaser of the knife) in the video is even willing to deal with you guys first.

Edit: I am sending the Russian a link to this thread.

I can only comment on this particular knife. How does a knife like this leave a Custom maker's shop, it is awful!!!
You tube says it all, not once but twice.

And Darrel, that's the way you sign the blade on a custom knife? You must admit, it's sloppy, rushed, looks to be done in anger and makes the knife worth $1000 less in my book.

Geeze, to make things right you should have made things right. Why do you need a phone call or E-mail............................send him a new knife made to industry standards and gift him that $1200 POS!!!

Again, my comments are in regards to this knife only!!!

Viewed the video with only the desire to see DR's efforts in regards to engraving/scratching his signature to the blade in question. I fast forwarded to the 'signature' section and what I saw wasn't what I expected...........by a loooooooooooooooong shot.

I was holding out on making judgement or having an opinion as to how DR responded to this thread and I felt that viewing his added signature after the initial return and several complaints/issues would give me a clearer picture as to how DR both receives and deals with criticism. In other words, as the OP pointed out........this companies customer service standards, if any.

I can't believe that any knifemaker would place his signature so distastefully on a custom blade as did DR. His 'penmanship' almost gets a pass as mine isn't always very legible, so it is quite possible that DR's is actually that bad. Nonetheless, when I sign important items such as documents, I take the extra time and effort to make my signature as 'nice' and legible as possible. An expensive, custom knife that carries the makers mark and reputation with it............who wouldn't finish a knife off as cleanly and nicely as possible........?

The answer, I think, is someone PO'd enough at another person that they feel disrespected them in one way or another and in the end, has caused them to be somehow inconveinenced. I'm leaning heavily towards this scenario and this type of reasoning/retaliation, but unless this last piece of the puzzle (and IMHO a very obvious one) can be posted in this thread, we are only left to assume the best or the worst.....dependent..

Soooooooooo.....any signed DR knives out there? I expect that there are a few. Obviously, if you own a DR signed knife, you might be inclined not to produce it here for your own reasons. But if you do own a signed DR knife and have no alliances or issues that prevent you from posting a clear pic of your particular DR signed knife, it would likely help to either quell some unfortunate and rather disturbing assumptions or conversely, help BF members to make more informed decisions and all around better choices when choosing a knifemaker to trust with your current 'dream' build and your hard earned greenbacks.

Pictures are worth a thousand words.........such would be the case here.....IMHO.

This request is not directed at only knife, signature bearing DR customers only. If the maker, DR, just happens to have a comparable, $1,000+, higher-end knife at his disposal with his signature attached, that would suffice as well as a fair comparison. It is reasonable, actually quite likely, that DR would have one (or perhaps several) currently in his possession or has, at a minimum, kept pictures of such higher-end, signatured knives, for either sentimental/personal reasons or for the totally expected purposes of advertisement. I don't know of any established knifemakers that doesn't keep such pictures.

It would seem a very positive and prudent move for DR to submit such a picture, or multiple pictures of his current or past signatured knives, so that he can definitively show that the OP's signatured knife wasn't completed any 'differently' than all others before him. DR should think of this as a great opportunity to simply show that his signature on the OP's knife was completed/finished in the exact same manner and fashion as all of his other previous signatured, high-end custom builds.

If I was interested in keeping and enhancing what customer base I could, while also having a great opportunity to show his fellow BF members and likely many others that there was no retaliatory or malicious intent involved in the application of his signature on the OP's knife, I can't imagine any reason whatsoever, except for one, why one wouldn't do so and as quickly as possible..

Last edited:
To the OP!!

It does not matter in this subject if your English is spot on. I can see exactly your concerns regarding the product you have spent your money on and obviously you have put the effort in to allow members of this forum to understand your concerns :thumbup:
I feel that this person or any other buyer should be allowed to join this forum for the sole purpose of making his or her feelings heard regarding a product they have purchased, especially when the product in question has been purchased from someone who is a moderator on this forum.
The Russian should get his money back at least, never mind an apology, give him his cash back..........Shameful skulduggery indeed!!:thumbdn:

Oh! One more thing!

What exactly is making something right to the best of your ability? you seemed to have been able to reach your hands out to take the guys money, are you not able to take your hands outa your pockets with his 1200 bucks and reach out and give him his money back?

Just a thought!!

$1200 for that?!?!?!? I would also be furious, even if he didn't get jerked around and treated poorly. Blade way off center and signed like it was a bad joke.
I wasn't in the market for a DR knife but it's one I will be sure to pass on down the road.
Things like this are what kill companies, maybe not today but in the long run the rep is hard to repair.

[video=youtube;q4YrTiwGXUo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4YrTiwGXUo&feature=youtu.be [/video].

If what went on with the manager is even remotely correct, that is horrid. One step above a common flim flam artist.

At the risk of getting flamed, I will say that if Darrel Ralph is personally involved and he says that he will make it right, then I think this will get resolved to everybodies satisfaction.... Been there, done that and while it was a major hassle, things were made right.

YMMV... /J.R.

At 1200$, "hassle-free" should be implied by the price tag. Such an awful experience demands some sort of reconciliation that goes above and beyond what was originally agreed upon between DR and the buyer. After watching the hour long video series, I feel for the guy. We have all been there at some point, to varying degrees. DR should be given the opportunity to set things right to be sure, and uphold the degree of quality his price tags suggest. As a buyer, I would expect:

A personal, written apology
A new knife, crafted personally by DR, with all shipping/exchange costs covered
Additional incentives, for the lost value of the hassle-full experience, or partial refund

Without that, the buyer has every right to feel the way he does, in my opinion. Also, he handled that EXTREMELY WELL, assuming everything he said was true. DR, I hope you take this as an opportunity and a challenge, and that you can have the constitution to properly mend this unfortunate result. Good luck, and God bless.

especially when the product in question has been purchased from someone who is a moderator on this forum.

Just to be clear on this, Mr. Ralph is a moderator for the Darrel Ralph (DDR) & HTM Knives manufacturers sub-forum only and that is the extent of his relationship with the forum.

Now, after watching the videos, I think it needs to be said that, IMHO, perhaps Mr. Filtrums impatience may have played a role in this, despite any promises made.
Rushing the maker into impossible timeframes rarely turns out well in the end as does over promising and under delivering, as we have seen here if the explanations by Mr. Filtrum are truthful. It is almost always better to decline a sale rather than to be put into a position where one cannot do exactly as they say they will do.

It is ALWAYS better to decline a sale rather than to be put into a position where one cannot do exactly as they say they will do.[/QUOTE]

Stuff still happens and always will, but the less 'wiggle room' from the get-go......the better.....IMHO.

At the risk of getting flamed, I will say that if Darrel Ralph is personally involved and he says that he will make it right, then I think this will get resolved to everybodies satisfaction.... Been there, done that and while it was a major hassle, things were made right.

YMMV... /J.R.

The secret however is to do it right the first time!!!
For $1200 the knife should have been perfect DDR work. No one, especially an accomplished maker should ever let garbage like that leave their shop, period.

Just to be clear on this, Mr. Ralph is a moderator for the Darrel Ralph (DDR) & HTM Knives manufacturers sub-forum only and that is the extent of his relationship with the forum.

Now, after watching the videos, I think it needs to be said that, IMHO, perhaps Mr. Filtrums impatience may have played a role in this, despite any promises made.
Rushing the maker into impossible timeframes rarely turns out well in the end as does over promising and under delivering, as we have seen here if the explanations by Mr. Filtrum are truthful. It is almost always better to decline a sale rather than to be put into a position where one cannot do exactly as they say they will do.

Actually you should watch the videos he never once demanded a timeframe. All time frames were given by darrel ralphs company. They failed each time frame. Lied on multiple occasions and broke each promise except one out of 5. The issue was not time frame but distrust and extremely rude behavior.

Actually you should watch the videos he never once demanded a timeframe. All time frames were given by darrel ralphs company. They failed each time frame. Lied on multiple occasions and broke each promise except one out of 5. The issue was not time frame but distrust and extremely rude behavior.

I have watched the videos. Filtrum was quoted a 3 month timeframe for the M390 model which was what he originally requested. He felt it was too long to wait and opted for another steel for the blade, S110V, which was indeed quoted at 2 weeks. It isn't too hard to figure out that impatience on the part of the buyer may have played a role in the discussion of timeframes and terms given. Now, should have Mr. Ralph or his representative have agreed to unrealistic timeframes/terms knowing that he himself would be at shows and unable to work or oversee the production of this knife or the actions of his workers?....No, not really.
It is always best to be honest and upfront with the customer and set realistic terms with them with the understanding that Real life issues, obligations and such things can possibly delay production and then communicate promptly if such issues arise. I'm in no way meaning to infer or absolve DDR of poor communication or quality control issues, I'm only meaning to point out that the customers attitude and expectations do play a certain role in these matters. Being realistic and reasonable would have helped matters on both sides here. As I previously said, it is always better to under promise and over deliver, rather than the opposite.

Hi to all!
After this thread has got some interest, I think it's time for me to add my opinion also as I am the person who actually made these videos.

DDR's post in this thread just looks so sarcastic to me at the moment so I'd like to ask him some questions on which I think everyone should see the answer.
So let's start:

Dear Mr. Ralph:
- You give me your email now... Why you never answered my emails when needed? You were cc'd to EVERY one of dozens of emails that I sent but the only response from you was on my first email when I asked about the price. After the money was paid, your secretary was my only communication channel.
- How can it be that both times I got the knife with such a poor quality? Every knifemaker has his own point of view, but can you say here that it was up to YOUR OWN standards?
- Why you didn't returned me the money when I asked? Just as simple as is... instead of sending to me Texas court. It's just ridiculous!
- How you came up with the idea to let me sign the document and get me agreed to not tell anyone about my experience with you?
- What's with your manager? Is he still working at your shop? I guess many would like to know...in case someone is ordering a knife from you.

After all this, really... What satisfaction are we talking about here?

I sold this knife for 700$ just to not get disappointed each time I see it. And I was happy to find a buyer for it, because I personally think it doesn't worth even this amount.

Thanks,
Alex

:eek:

I can not believe that any maker would let a knife in that condition leave their shop and be sold to a customer. In this case seems like twice.

Per "One step above a common flim flam artist." Given the complaints and their responses over the past year or so, this firm is not one step above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back