Canadian knife law specifics.

This thread is hilarious.

All day still, you're boned. I don't know what else to tell you, man. This is a public forum and you clearly claimed what you did. Think before you post, for your own good.

Tasselhoff, I'd love to see how you use your Black Bear Classic, that's a beautiful knife and some pictures on the general knife discussion forum while you're using it would be awesome. :thumbup:

Danke, well, I salute tasselhoff for his taste, but not a knife to raise an eyebrow over? Have you seen a BBC?

DSC02778.JPG

Two very sharp edges of pure evil if I ever saw it. It's friggin' awesome.

So i just called my local police station and the cop told me that it's illegal to carry ANY knife on you, period.

Proud of canada.

So i just called my local police station and the cop told me that it's illegal to carry ANY knife on you, period.

Proud of canada.

The police are not immune to being totally wrong.
The person you talked to was totally wrong.

Not just wrong, but completely, demonstrably, easily proven wrong.

The police are not immune to being totally wrong.
The person you talked to was totally wrong.

Not just wrong, but completely, demonstrably, easily proven wrong.

I have a hard time believing that the people that snatch cell phones out of people's hands and assault them know much at all about the law.

They didn't go to Law school and every one of them has his/her own idea about what the law is. I am not anti police, and have worked very close to them in a first responder type role. Some of what they are reaping today they deserve. Pretty much none of the things you see on the media is their fault and 99% of these incidents show a cop doing his job well IMO.

It's the ones that don't make the national news that are very scary, and should tick everybody off. The one's I am really referring to are the anonymous tips called in where they kick the door in with "no knock" and shoot the dog and the unarmed homeowner only to find out the anonymous tip was bogus, most likely a guy with a grudge. I thought we had a Bill of rights to protect against this and all the other King George BS, but apparently not.

I watch the BS we've seen recently and feel sorry for the police untill they shoot a guy 16 times who wasn't really threatening anyone at the time he was shot.

The public needs to show police the respect that they deserve, and the police need to understand that people have rights.

None of these idiots would be dead if he had put his Hands UP and said, "Don't Shoot". None of them did that. I think you only see that slogan on T-shirts. Never has been actually used.

Sorry for the rant, but you can watch hours and hours of people on Youtube being harassed by police officers for lawful carry of knives.

I see both sides of the story. I guess I'm a bit like the Police as well.

I believe in concealed carry...

But I believe I'm the only one who should be able to conceal carry

;)

Police Officer: Sir, why do you have that knife peeking out of your pocket?

Me: I don't know, it's a strange thing, it started when I was a Cub Scout...

Hi, new here. I've been charged with possession of a dangerous weapon.

I entered through green light intersection, as I entered, crazy driver sped out in front of me from a stopped at light position, in the wrong lane cutting me off, squeeling tires and than didn't even accelurate past 40km, it was a 60km zone so I was doing 65 naturally, I slammed my brakes and nearly hit the car, I kept breaking and than past the lunatic safely and than the driver sped up and tail gated me, in a left to right motion recklessly, I slowed down to let the person pass, they continued back and forth tail gating my car, so I stopped the car, assuming they would pass but instead just stopped and sat behind me. I wasn't sure of how many people were in the car behind me or what was going on, but I have been attacked by several guys the same way, on more than several occasions, it was instinct to open my 3in folding knife and I waited but nothing, no passing me, no coming to my car, I was on my way to see my 2 year old daughter and this person was impeding me on my travels, I got out of my car with my knife in hand and walked over to the car, looked and saw only one person, the female driver, which didn't scare me at all, I told her to get off my tail and went back to my car. She followed me for quite some time after this but not as close. I couldn't believe what had just happened or why it did, was this woman a sociopath? There is no video evidence of the event, but there are witnesses appearently, must have been the cars that came behind hers.

2 days later I was arrested with assault with a weapon and dangerous weapon possession. They gave me a plea deal to plea guilty to the possession of dangerous weapons charge only. I did because I don't want to go to jail for no good reason but can withdraw my plea and want to because I am innocent, but the law is confusing, under Canadian law in Ontario, am I going to be found guilty in a trial? I had no intent to hurt her or anyone. I bought the knife for carving and using it for other things as well as for emergency if I needed to cut my seatbelt or break my car window to get out, after all those attacks it became instinct to have it in my hand. Please help me, I was a delivery driver and had stepped foot inside thousands of peoples homes and never was a threat to any of them and was doing that kind of job for almost 5 years.

If found guilty of the weapons charge, what punishment will I face?

Hi, new here. I've been charged with possession of a dangerous weapon.

I entered through green light intersection, as I entered, crazy driver sped out in front of me from a stopped at light position, in the wrong lane cutting me off, squeeling tires and than didn't even accelurate past 40km, it was a 60km zone so I was doing 65 naturally, I slammed my brakes and nearly hit the car, I kept breaking and than past the lunatic safely and than the driver sped up and tail gated me, in a left to right motion recklessly, I slowed down to let the person pass, they continued back and forth tail gating my car, so I stopped the car, assuming they would pass but instead just stopped and sat behind me. I wasn't sure of how many people were in the car behind me or what was going on, but I have been attacked by several guys the same way, on more than several occasions, it was instinct to open my 3in folding knife and I waited but nothing, no passing me, no coming to my car, I was on my way to see my 2 year old daughter and this person was impeding me on my travels, I got out of my car with my knife in hand and walked over to the car, looked and saw only one person, the female driver, which didn't scare me at all, I told her to get off my tail and went back to my car. She followed me for quite some time after this but not as close. I couldn't believe what had just happened or why it did, was this woman a sociopath? There is no video evidence of the event, but there are witnesses appearently, must have been the cars that came behind hers.

2 days later I was arrested with assault with a weapon and dangerous weapon possession. They gave me a plea deal to plea guilty to the possession of dangerous weapons charge only. I did because I don't want to go to jail for no good reason but can withdraw my plea and want to because I am innocent, but the law is confusing, under Canadian law in Ontario, am I going to be found guilty in a trial? I had no intent to hurt her or anyone. I bought the knife for carving and using it for other things as well as for emergency if I needed to cut my seatbelt or break my car window to get out, after all those attacks it became instinct to have it in my hand. Please help me, I was a delivery driver and had stepped foot inside thousands of peoples homes and never was a threat to any of them and was doing that kind of job for almost 5 years.

If found guilty of the weapons charge, what punishment will I face?

You got some problems my friend and deservedly so...

I don't know anything about the Law in my Country or yours but going on "your side" of the story, I think you're gonna be doing some time.

"So I walked over to the car with my knife drawn, when no one was attacking me...for some reason, this got me arrested." (paraphrased version)

Well yeah, you got charged.
You acted like a loony with a knife, and that isn't considered cool.

My advice to that guy is to switch to safety scissors, and leave the knives to people with some semblance of sanity.

a lawyer will be your only option. I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding of the law is that you were the aggressor in the situation. You should not have gotten out of the car.

You were under no imminent threat.

The best you might hope for is a plea down to a lesser charge, but talk to a lawyer. This can have a lot of effect on your life now, so do your best to deal with it.

When I was a teenager I lived in a very bad neighborhood. Even though I have never committed a crime, being 6'2 and a little unfriendly looking would sometimes get me "Detained" by the RCMP, who were "Fishing" (Which they are not allowed to do anymore). Which basically meant a cop would stop me just to make sure I wasn't a bad person. Which is OK they were just doing their job.

The first question they would always ask was.

Do you have any weapons in your possession? To which I would answer no.

Then they would ask do you have any sharp or pointed objects in your pockets? Again no...but I know where this is going.

Then they would state something like "Would you object if we gave you a quick pat down?" ... No be my guest.

And finally can you please empty your pockets... Where Id dump my wallet my keys, and my SAK on the trunk of the cruiser.

Two things would happen when they saw the SAK.. 1) They would ignore it, 2) They would ask why I had a knife? To which id say something like I use it on my paper route, or at my part time after school job.

Now most people would think I should have been upfront and told them about the knife at step 1... and those people would be WRONG.

My friend who like me was stopped, and when asked "Do you have any weapons?" ...Confused he asked "Well I have pocket knife, does that count as a weapon?"... Not only was the knife taken away, but he was detained at the police station until his family came to pick him up.

As soon as you weaponize something your at the wrong end of the law, even if it's potentially.

Also one good trick if you are wondering if a blade is too long? Measure it out against the palm of your hand, and if it's longer it's too long. It's what I've seen a couple of police do over the years as your avg persons palm isn't bigger than 4-5 inches.

Also one good trick if you are wondering if a blade is too long? Measure it out against the palm of your hand, and if it's longer it's too long. It's what I've seen a couple of police do over the years as your avg persons palm isn't bigger than 4-5 inches.

Nope.
Like I said before, my 5 inch blade Cold Steel Voyager was okay with the cops; it's longer than my palm is wide.

And if they cops have it out for you, it won't matter if it reaches halfway across your palm.

Nope.
Like I said before, my 5 inch blade Cold Steel Voyager was okay with the cops; it's longer than my palm is wide.

And if they cops have it out for you, it won't matter if it reaches halfway across your palm.

Your right if they don't like the looks of you then there's not much you can do.

The lax laws here allow for a lot of interpretation both ways. For instance I worked with this big Red Neck type of guy and he always carried this large "Bowie" style knife everywhere he went. I asked him as a joke one day..."Why haven't you been arrested for that that yet?" He replied "I get stopped now and then, but as long as it's on my belt and in plain view so people know I have it I'm ok" he then continued to say if I hid it in my jacket or concealed it then I would be in serious trouble...

Now I've read the Canadian knife law legislation, and I can't see anything in regards to what if he said was true, but at the same time I can't find anywhere that limits blade length. So I have to assume that there is also provincial and municipal legislation.

I looked up at one time the Calgary and Edmonton rules. I'm sure there were a few differences, and Calgary has a subsection regarding Transit. I'm sure there are also Alberta wide rules, never bothered to look them up. You are right in saying that not regarding it like a weapon is a smart move. Also how you react. If the cop is fishing, acting like you might be in trouble will give reason for them to detain. Wrong or right, if you don't prime the idea, they might not be worried. When I carried my SOG PE2 my excuse on hand was going to be "Ever cut a watermellon with a small knife?" Never had to use it. never got questioned. Knowing your local laws is key though. I'm sure not many people know that some places have laws that only kick in during public gatherings over a certain size. Head down to the park and there is a fair on? your EDC might no longer be legal. Or maybe that beer-garden is off limits. Makes you wonder. Of course when I was doing stage stuff I could have been a kidnapper for all anyone knew. Black clothes, gloves, gaff tape and zipties, knife, and box truck. Of course maybe that makes it so obvious its impossible? I want to see a heist movie where the crew is disguised as the stage hands, and pulls off both the heist, and the show.

"So I walked over to the car with my knife drawn, when no one was attacking me...for some reason, this got me arrested." (paraphrased version)

Well yeah, you got charged.
You acted like a loony with a knife, and that isn't considered cool.

My advice to that guy is to switch to safety scissors, and leave the knives to people with some semblance of sanity.

I agree with you.

Cate

a lawyer will be your only option. I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding of the law is that you were the aggressor in the situation. You should not have gotten out of the car.

You were under no imminent threat.

The best you might hope for is a plea down to a lesser charge, but talk to a lawyer. This can have a lot of effect on your life now, so do your best to deal with it.

This.

Cate

Hello Everyone, new to the site and find it very interesting and informative.
The way I see it there are 3 kinds of knives. Tool, Show/Decorative and Weapon. I prefer the first 2.

Reading some of the posts and just thought i would share a story on mine.
A few years ago I was going to attend a Medieval Supper put on by the local Lions Club in my small town, and since i had the chainmail and swords i figured i would wear that for the costume contest.
Before doing so though I did go to the local RCMP Office and inquire if I could legally wear my 20" sword to the event. They were very helpful and gave me conditions to wearing it. As long as it stayed in the sheath, I went from point A to B, and basically respected the sword. And had no problems at all.

I guess what I'm trying to say is : respect goes both ways and working with them made a difference. They were happy I came in and asked first.

Back