"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Guys. I have been gone for awhile. I can't say entirely why but part of the story is outlined herein. If you know me, you know that I have been saving my pennies for a new shotgun to, hopefully raise up my level of competitiveness at Skeet and Sporting Clays. I finally got that done through saving; selling a few things I was ready to part with and just, time. So; here it is:

Sorry: Imgur seems to be broken but here's an upload.

View attachment 1006282
View attachment 1006289

Yes; this is a "pretty" gun but it's also so finely balanced and rock solid. I will shoot better with this gun. It inspires confidence. I feel like I could hold this gun with two index fingers.

So; in the end it was worth selling a handful of knives, a watch and some photography stuff I wasn't using anyway.

Glad to have a few free minutes to spend on my favorite forum. Thanks guys!!!!
Awesome looking OU, Alan! Enjoy!

My wife Terri loves animals, sometimes maybe more than me but I'm OK with that as long as it's "sometimes" ;) Over the past few weeks we have been having what seemed to be a stray cat showing up in our yard. Of course it happens to be the time of year that the temps start getting toward freezing, so naturally Terri starts to get concerned about the kitty. So she puts food/water on the front porch, builds a "cat house" out of an Amazon box, insulates it and puts one of our old cat beds in there. Since we have enough cats she decided that if she could eventually capture it she would bring it to the local shelter. As nights go by it becomes routine that he (the cat) would show up shortly after dark, eat, drink, sleep and then leave before I head out to work in the morning. We had no idea where he went during the day o_O One night she decided to go outside and see if she could get near the cat. Well, he just runs up to her purring and rubbing against her legs. Soon after, I went out to see him and he was just a great, playful and loving cat. We immediately knew this cat was likely someones lost kitty since it was so affectionate; most strays would run away. So Terri found a FaceBook page for a local charity where people can post pictures of their lost pets and sure enough we found a cat on there that looked a lot like him. She contacted the owner and he asked if there was a scar near the tip of his right ear and sure enough, there was! Turns out this cat was over 5 miles away from home AND has been missing since June 24th! Last night the very grateful owners got reunited with their kitty that they had lost hope on :D

End of the story? Of course not... the man's wife came to our house about 8 O' Clock last night to get him, she grabbed "Bing" (which was his name) and teary eyed started to give him kisses on his head. Bing was her late Dad's nickname and the other cat they have is named "Emil" which was her husband's late Dad's name... the cats, Bing and Emil, are brothers and were lost at the same time, Emil found his way home but Bing, obviously, did not (until now). So she gets Bing into her car then turns to give my wife a thank you hug and wouldn't you know it? The cat steps on the door lock button and locks himself inside the car! Well an hour or so later, after the local sheriff jimmy's the door open, she finally got headed back home with her Bing.

This morning when I got out of bed there was freezing rain/sleet and 30 MPH winds... meanwhile little Bing is home, nice and warm, playing with his brother Emil and the grand-kids :) "Sometimes" things do happen for a reason :D

View attachment 1006570
Truly a heartwarming story Kevin. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Will try this again Fodderwing Fodderwing Thanks!

UXamojy.png

SVEPnlf.png
Fantastic gun! Incredible engraving, beautiful wood... simply fantastic!!!

"Sometimes" things do happen for a reason
Somewhat related cat story - the white cat you see as my avatar showed up on a freezing November night 4 years ago just before Thanksgiving. "Polar Vortex." We already had 3 indoors cats so couldn't just bring her in. We propped open the carport storage room door and put out some food - the water heater is in there so there was a warm place she could curl up behind it.

Long story short, since she was clearly a tame pet cat, we went to great lengths to try to reunite her with her owner - I posted laminated signs in about a 1 mile radius, we posted on the local Facebook page and Craig's list, checked with all local vets. Nothing. So here she is, sitting on my desk right next to me right now grooming herself and is just a great cat. Loves me to death.

But the "things that happen for a reason" part - during the regular checking of both Facebook and Craigslist, I noticed someone posted a "found cat" on Craigslist, and a "lost cat" on Facebook, and from the pictures it looked like the same cat. So I contacted the owner though Facebook and got them in touch with the Craigslist poster, and sure enough, it was their cat. Happy reunion. Which would likely not have happened if it weren't for me checking both places (which the owner was not doing) and choosing to get involved. Little victories.

Been a good day so far. Local gun store going out of business (sad), and had everything on sale. Not much merchandise left, but bought a Case Pocket Worn Old Red Bone SS Medium Stockman for my wife, and a Case Amber Bone CV Texas Jack for my daughter. (Almost bought a peanut for myself, but they only had chestnut bone. Holding out for amber bone or maybe yellow Delrin. Will probably only buy one peanut.) Then we went for old-fashioned milkshakes and cheese fries. Watching football now. Yessir, been a good day.

Th
Just an amazing piece Alan !!!! Thanks for showing it again . I could have never taken that Quail and Rabbit hunting and climbing over and crawling under barbed wire fences . That was a long time ago my friend .
Thank you Harry! I only shoot skeet and sporting clays. So, I’m not likely damage this gun? Unless I drop it? Not likely. So, yesterday I shot two 23’s and one 24. I won’t say what my fourth round was. The new gun gives me more confidence.

Been a good day so far. Local gun store going out of business (sad), and had everything on sale. Not much merchandise left, but bought a Case Pocket Worn Old Red Bone SS Medium Stockman for my wife, and a Case Amber Bone CV Texas Jack for my daughter. (Almost bought a peanut for myself, but they only had chestnut bone. Holding out for amber bone or maybe yellow Delrin. Will probably only buy one peanut.) Then we went for old-fashioned milkshakes and cheese fries. Watching football now. Yessir, been a good day.
No deals on Guns? No?

Guys. I have been gone for awhile. I can't say entirely why but part of the story is outlined herein. If you know me, you know that I have been saving my pennies for a new shotgun to, hopefully raise up my level of competitiveness at Skeet and Sporting Clays. I finally got that done through saving; selling a few things I was ready to part with and just, time. So; here it is:

Sorry: Imgur seems to be broken but here's an upload.

View attachment 1006282
View attachment 1006289

Yes; this is a "pretty" gun but it's also so finely balanced and rock solid. I will shoot better with this gun. It inspires confidence. I feel like I could hold this gun with two index fingers.

So; in the end it was worth selling a handful of knives, a watch and some photography stuff I wasn't using anyway.

Glad to have a few free minutes to spend on my favorite forum. Thanks guys!!!!

Very classy Alan, hope we'ere going to be seeing more of you again :) :thumbsup:

Back