"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Every single vehicle I have ever owned has been a pickup or a Jeep.
I always have both a pickup and a Jeep in the driveway for different purposes.
Me to except at different times, although I did have 3 Jeeps at once a '78, and '81 cj5's and a '94 wrangler. I'm currently in my'97 f150 bought last year for $1400
xlkv7t.jpg

Had a really bad paint job so I did a less bad bed liner paint job :D

12 years on my Nissan but just the other day rolled over 80K miles. I sure don't relish the thought of having to buy another car. I'll go with this one as long as I can. My wife's car is a 2001 Toyota RAV4 - I expect that one will need replacing before mine. Interesting to think I will probably only own one more car in my lifetime.

Just a quick note. Think about replacing the timing belt on the Nissan. My niece has a Nissan truck and the timing belt let go at about 86,000 miles last year. She had to pay for a costly engine rebuild - head, pistons, etc..

vf8ux2.jpg

Another hat related story,
So give a little back story, not many people wear a "cowboy" hat around here day to day. And then mostly by Mexicans, so I'm used to a few side glances from folks. But today I actually had someone ask me "Is that a REAL cowboy hat?" So being my natural self I answered " I don't know, I'm not a real cowboy" and walked away. Lol But honestly I don't consider myself one, to quote an old Hank Jr. Song "I'm a country plowboy, not an urban cowboy, I don't ride bulls, but I have fought some men"

vf8ux2.jpg

So give a little back story, not many people wear a "cowboy" hat around here day to day. And then mostly by Mexicans, so I'm used to a few side glances from folks. But today I actually had someone ask me "Is that a REAL cowboy hat?" So being my natural self I answered " I don't know, I'm not a real cowboy" and walked away. Lol But honestly I don't consider myself one, to quote an old Hank Jr. Song "I'm a country plowboy, not an urban cowboy, I don't ride bulls, but I have fought some men"
Nice hat, David. I usually wear a Stetson, but it kind of fits in here in Texas. Wouldn't wear in New York (been there once; probably won't go again).

Prester John Prester John
Thanks Vince, this is an old Renegade by Rebelution. Its a good hat, from what little info I can find Rebelution was a small company hand making hats in Texas. Its hard to research as Bailey brand hats now have a line called renegade.
Edit to add: what little I could find their trademarks died in 1995

Last edited:
vf8ux2.jpg

Good looking hat, David! You might be interested in this Hats & Knives thread. It's one of those that doesn't see posts on a regular basis but pops up from time to time, and it's short enough to browse through fairly quickly, with some interesting content. Maybe you can add some more to it. :thumbsup:

Never done white water, but being in the woods does heal the mind. I have gone up on the mountain to clear my mind for the evening and not come down for 3-5 days. With nothing more than the clothes I was wearing always a pocket knife,90% of the time a good fixed blade. I've read a first edition of Camping and Woodcraft by firelight. I've gone into the woods and done nothing but simply BE there. I'm one of very few people I know that's watched a bobcat from ground level under 30 feet away. I'm not ashamed to say I've gone misty eyed at the beauty of a passing moment, the mist in the hardwoods on a crisp fall morning hearing a squirrel cutting in a hickory, and the echo of the rattle of a woodpecker across the holler. I've never been down the Colorado, but I have went up the mountain, sometimes I found something, sometimes I left something there. But either way I was better for it when I came down.

vf8ux2.jpg

It's not quite a cowboy hat, but this is my archaeology hat. This picture is a few (or six) years old, but I still wear the hat pretty frequently in the field, as I have for about 15 years. I actually don't know what the brand is. I bought it a long time ago, at REI I think, and all the tags are long gone.
998530_10151553197670875_504545086_n.jpg

Never done white water, but being in the woods does heal the mind. I have gone up on the mountain to clear my mind for the evening and not come down for 3-5 days. With nothing more than the clothes I was wearing always a pocket knife,90% of the time a good fixed blade. I've read a first edition of Camping and Woodcraft by firelight. I've gone into the woods and done nothing but simply BE there. I'm one of very few people I know that's watched a bobcat from ground level under 30 feet away. I'm not ashamed to say I've gone misty eyed at the beauty of a passing moment, the mist in the hardwoods on a crisp fall morning hearing a squirrel cutting in a hickory, and the echo of the rattle of a woodpecker across the holler. I've never been down the Colorado, but I have went up the mountain, sometimes I found something, sometimes I left something there. But either way I was better for it when I came down.
Thank you, David ! Beautiful read ! Thank you, Sir

Back