1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]

Prester John likes this.
  2. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Gone, baby gone!

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  3. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I know others here own Jeeps. Let's see 'em...

Here is my current Jeep, I've had many others.
    I don't even want to admit how much money I have invested in this rig; custom 1 ton axles, custom suspension, etc. But in my defense, I do use it a lot. I belong to a four wheel drive club and we do a lot of four wheeling together. I built it so it would be comfortable and not break on the trails. My family and I enjoy our time in the mountains with our Big Red jeep. Its name is "Scarlet Viper" (Battlestar Galactica reference)...

[​IMG]

HEMI 49, Cutfinger, zolthar and 9 others like this.
  4. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Most powerful Space Wizard he is.

5. Misplaced Hillbilly

May 16, 2018
    I miss my jeeps

JohnDF likes this.
  6. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    I know the feeling, I went for two years without one. Hopefully you'll get one again some day.

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  7. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Very nice Rubicon John.

83 cj7 straight six with 488's front & rear DSC_0093.JPG

8. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Now, there's a JEEP! :cool:
    (Covered in mud!)

Fodderwing and dc50 like this.
  9. Fodderwing

Jan 31, 2017
    That's the thing about 4-wheeling in Arkansas. If you want your rig to stay in pristine condition you gotta keep it on the road and off the trail. Tree limbs and mud take their toll. That's what I love about the western states. You can drive 500 miles off road and never get a scratch on your paint (if you are extremely careful). No "above tree line" elevation or open desert here. You will most likely need a chainsaw, axe or buck saw within a few miles. Sans winch? ... fuggedaboutit :D

10. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Very nice CJ. Love the tube fenders. Nice clean build.

11. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    We leave the mud to the flatlanders :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

HEMI 49, Jack Black, zolthar and 5 others like this.
  12. Fodderwing

Jan 31, 2017
    Thanks JD. We don't think it's flat land. But then everything's relative ain't it? :D
    Great pic! Definitely some scratch potential there huh?

13. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    I was just pokin' a little fun, all Jeeping is good Jeeping. :cool:
    In my area, if you're a rock crawler you poke fun at the mudders... and visa versa :D

There wasn't a straight piece on that Jeep when I sold it, including the frame. Lol.

14. Fodderwing

Jan 31, 2017
    Oh I knew you were joking John. By western standards our Ozarks are just about flat land. But we say we're "headed up into the mountains". As for mud, I don't much care for it but, hey, it's what we have to work with. My son in law Bo, built a Bronco and when he comes out of the woods he strings it up on a track-hoe bucket, lifts it straight up in the air and pressure washes it while it hangs like a big marlin. :D

Bo's rig. DSC_0337.JPG Grandson. Good genetics... imagejpeg_0_69.JPG :cool:

15. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Oh my, that is a gorgeous first gen Bronco!!!

Cutfinger and Ramrodmb like this.
  16. Fodderwing

Jan 31, 2017
    It's fixing to go on the auction block. He's already building the rotisserie for a full rebuild. I imagine this Bronco's new home will be in or very close to your state.

Ramrodmb and JohnDF like this.
  17. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Somebody will be lucky to get it.

Ramrodmb and Fodderwing like this.
  18. Misplaced Hillbilly

May 16, 2018
    One good thing about wheeling my jeeps in southwest Virginia, we had a bit of everything. Boy I wish I had my pics from our wheel'n days. We'd wheel mud, rock,snow. Abandoned strip mines, mine exploration roads. Never could afford a winch, or to break stuff so you learned to pick good lines. Never wheel gnarly places alone. In my 94 wrangler I managed to keep my dana 35 alive with 33's, of course I only had the little 2.5 four banger. As my buddy said " you ain't got enough power to get stuck" but I did anyways. I like all old stuff, mostly a ford and jeep guy, but I respect whatever somebody wants to run. And anytime I hear "I ain't NEVER had my -insert favorite brand- stuck!" I usually responded "Then YOU ain't never REALLY gone wheel'n" I've seen them ALL stuck some time or another. I ain't ashamed to say my Jeep got pulled out of a stuck by a Toyota, or my Ford by a Chevy, cause I've pulled Toys with my jeep, and Chevys with my Ford. Its all good:cool::thumbsup: Nice rigs guys BTW;):thumbsup:

19. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Good point. It aint what you drive, it's how you drive it. As we say, drive it like you stole it :D

20. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    By contrast, I have no input on 4 X 4 vehicles really. Despite the snow and dreadful mud in spring most 4 x 4 are the Subaru type thing here, Forester or Outback. Very tough cars with comfort and immense reliability - I have some mechanical/electrical knowledge but I hate fixing cars;)

On another note. ADVICE PLEASE.

I have as many keys as a turnkey in an old jail :D Bulky even though keys here tend to be small (and no car keys just the block thing that opens all) But I want a new knife for the keychain. I've seen the SAK some people have but don't want scissors and all that or nail files etc;) At the moment I have a Chive, so I can't show a picture as it's taboo here and the moderators' club will descend with wrath :D:eek: I have other reservations too, if that speed safe lock busts the little thug can open by itself..uh uh! So any alternatives? Micarta or metal are the best scales I'd say and single blade is enough, no tools needed.

Thanks, Will

JohnDF likes this.