1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    @meako , I noticed you're fond of old sailing ships commandments. :)
    Did you ever hear of a whole fleet captured by the Cavalry? o_O This happened just two centuries ago!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_the_Dutch_fleet_at_Den_Helder
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Trim Trio for the key-chain knife.

Will Power likes this.
  3. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    meako, Prester John and Jolipapa like this.
  4. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    I came across this photo I took a few years ago while walking the woods one winter day. I felt I was really lucky to happen on this confrontation between two Pileated Woodpeckers, and actually get a shot of it. I did startle them, although I was trying to be stealthy, and they bolted.
    [​IMG]

5. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Very cool picture, it should be in a magazine somewhere.

Prester John likes this.
  6. jc57

jc57

Nov 28, 2012
    [Apologies in advance for mentioning a non-traditional here.]
    Back in my earlier knife days, a Boker Keycom was my key-ring choice. I even have one still new in box signed by designer Chad Los Banos himself, who is (was) a forum participant here and other places and is a very nice guy.

I found it worked great when clipped to a single-cell CR123 flashlight (Fenix E-15) rather than actually on the keys. The flashlight functioned as a fob for the little knife, and the knife (with it's pocket clip) functioned as a pocket dangler for the flashlight. That little combo saved me one night when I had to change a tire on the side of busy highway in an area with no street lights. I was able to clip it to my shirt and illuminate what I was doing (and myself).

My current key ring knife is a Victorinox Alox Mini Champ, but that doesn't fit your bill due to the scissors and nail files and such. However, it does fit the forum guidelines so perhaps I can be forgiven for mentioning the other one.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Will Power likes this.
  7. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    @Peregrin - that is such an awesome photo and you there with a camera too. Of course had they known the peregrin (sp) was near they would certainly have decided that it was in their best interest to team up with each other. ;) Very cool!

Ray

Prester John likes this.
  8. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Gary that is an unbelievable once in a lifetime photo. I find Pileated Woodpeckers to be the grandest of big timber denizens. I'd hang that one on the wall my friend.

RayseM, Prester John and Peregrin like this.
  9. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Magnificent shot. Gary !! I agree...frame it.

My cat wanted in the window just now. She likes to watch the dove in the trees. Just then they all flew away. I looked for what spooked them. A magnificent red tail...not fast enough with the camera. I've seen him before...he will be back. Frame it...such a hard shot..magnificent !!!

10. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Great photo, Gary, I love the pileated woodpeckers. We've had a pair in our backyard and I always feel blessed when I get a look at them. Yesterday my wife and I travelled up the Mississippi River to do some bald eagle watching, and we were not disappointed!

05.JPG
    15.JPG
    22.JPG

11. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Thanks @Jolipapa that is an incredible story...fair dues though...the sea must have frozen quick to trap them in the ice.

Jolipapa likes this.
  12. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Cool pictures of those eagles.
    We have hawks and owls in our yard. The owls are fun to shine a light on at night, their glowing, blinking eyes make it look like a Christmas tree. And thanks to all the owls and hawks, our property is relatively snake free :cool:

Will Power likes this.
  13. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    Jeff those pictures are great. :thumbsup::cool:

14. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks Randy! My wife is a bird lover of the first order; we have multiple species feeders in both our front and back yards. She said she'd be happy to see one eagle, and we got the mother lode. It made the 100+ mile round trip well worth it.

r redden and Prester John like this.
  15. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Winter 1795 was one of the coldest ever in Western Europe (<-20°). Wolves were seen at Paris Gates and down South olive trees were frozen.:eek:

16. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
  17. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Spectacular Khukuries, Jack!! Thanks for showing us!!

( edited - Thanks for the spelling lesson, Christian!!)

Jack Black likes this.
  18. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Sword? Hahaha... Khukuris are knives, although admittedly they lean towards the large side.

Those khukuris are all incredible. Any one of them would hold the place of honor in my bunch. Like old Sheffield pocketknives, they don't make 'em like they used to.

That ivory handled one though, the one with the jade accessory tools. Spectacular! The stuff dreams are made of. :thumbsup:

19. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    The labelling in the museum can be very irritating. Possibly the most laughable is the card relating to a a Puma Automesser, described as a classic hunting knife, 'The Puma' :rolleyes:

Here's the card for the the ivory-hilted khukuri :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

20. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    You should have started a thread on this Jack. These are after all, traditional fixed blades.

Prester John likes this.