1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I wonder what happened to Jake - @supratentorial. I miss his posts. He hasn't been here since last summer.:thumbsdown:

2. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I was just wondering the same thing. The porch doesn't seem the same without him.

Ramrodmb likes this.
  3. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    We've had a few members on hiatus lately. I hope they're all doing well and can catch a break to drop in here soon.

4. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Jake does that sometimes. Usually because his life gets real busy. His cutlery knowledge is detailed and I'm always glad when he stops by.

Jolipapa, Jack Black, meako and 3 others like this.
  5. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Dogs just make life better. These are my closest buddies. I like most dogs more than I like most people, and if my dogs don't trust you, I won't trust you.

Tzofi-Gene. 3/8 American Stafford, 1/8 German Shepard, 1/8 Siberian Husky, 1/8 Chow, 1/8 Cocker Spaniel, 1/8 indeterminant mutt.
    [​IMG]

Dixie Mae. 1/2 Lab, 1/2 Beagle. Lab with a beagle nose and beagle legs. Her nickname is Stubby. She's nine now.
    [​IMG]

HEMI 49, redsparrow, Jolipapa and 9 others like this.
  6. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Great looking dogs. Here are mine:
    8884765C-5271-4747-91DE-868E59D19518.jpeg
    Chihuahua.
    And:
    B5180C89-3F62-40E5-AD55-EB778A53220A.jpeg
    1/2 Lab, 1/2 Blue Heeler.
    Great companions.

Knife content:
    F248EFFB-0850-4F56-8FC0-012A3541B43C.jpeg

7. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Bella and Gandalf are my wife's dogs, but if she's not available, I become quite popular. :rolleyes: Here they are with an Opignel:
    [​IMG]

- GT

8. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Pretty pups, great names. Is that a French Poodle hanging out with a Yorkie?

One of ours--the big one--is more of my wife's. She takes her on 5 or 6 mile runs! I can't keep up with them. But I'm popular with all the pets (one cat too): I'm the "food guy"!

9. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    "The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." --- Andy Rooney

Willow Van Winkle
    IMG_8163.jpg

10. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Very true Dwight. :thumbsup::)

11. oldtymer

oldtymer Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    This is Anakin, Shepard/ Pit bull . Better behaved than most people:p
    Resized_2018-04-27_09.02.27.jpeg

12. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    0123191417a.jpg
    Working on my bosses beach property on the North Carolina inercoastal waterway. Not far from the Marine Corp. Helicopter base, so getting allot of low level passes. These despite my Crappy pics are the big'uns, Seaknights? Anyways really cool.

Jack Black, tmd_87, JohnDF and 4 others like this.
  13. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    That hat Billy Jack wore looks like it would shed rainwater - that's definitely a plus. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Words of wisdom, Shawn. :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, Vince. :) Your dogs (well, all the dogs that appeared here today) look like champs, but quite a size difference for your pair; do they get along OK?

Bella is a toy poodle, but Gandalf is a Shih-Tzu/Pomeranian mix. Bella's half-sister (same mother) Stella used to hang out with them, too, but we had to put her down last March. I'm the morning "food guy" for the survivors, but I don't make a meal like Mammy does, with vegetables and chicken stock in addition to the canned food and kibble I provide for breakfast.
    Here's a pic of dear, departed Stella when she still had eyes:
    stella.6.11.16.jpg

- GT

14. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    They get along tolerably well, I suppose. The big one, Lexi, is a sweetheart, and always wants to play. Sometimes the small one, Mini, growls and snaps at her. Lexi has destroyed several of Mini's toys, so we have to keep an eye on her. She loves chewing up things. Bought a tough tire chew toy for Lexi, and she demolished it in minutes! Strong jaws and sharp teeth.

Sorry about Stella. I remember you telling us about that a few months ago. We lost one last month (Italian Greyhound). Just old age. He asked to go in the back yard and lay down for the last time. Maybe that's how I'll go.

15. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Well, here's Suzie five minutes ago shes now sleeping as per usual these days.
    photo 2.JPG

16. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Not a Sea Knight. It had two rotors.
    Looks like a Super Stallion to me.

17. Misplaced Hillbilly

May 16, 2018
    That's it, I do believe your right. Really neat seeing them cruise up and down the beach. They were in formations of twos and threes. Then a lone upgrade version of the huey flew around banking and turning over the bay. Then a formation of 4 flew down the beach. I kept hoping they'd do some passes in the cobras, but didn't see any this time. Several times the flew by pretty low,those big choppers are always impressive to me.

18. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Sea Kings ?
    I saw one at the fleet air arm show at HMAS Albatross base Nowra NSW.
    Like a flying truck.
    Massive....although it was several years ago.
    They put a SeaHawk ..the maritime rescue version of the BlackHawk through its paces...what a beast.

19. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I hope you'll have a lawn chair.

I'd like to transmute my matter directly into energy. Maybe I should put on my alchemist's hat and get cracking.

I suppose Carlos Castaneda's being known to be dead means that he failed to immolate himself in "the fire from within".

20. Misplaced Hillbilly

May 16, 2018
    double post