1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    That is just about way cool Jer. Very sweet.

2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Thank you. I may have to drill more sound holes and/or take it apart and rip down the rims, but I'll see how it sounds before I do more work that might be unnecessary or useless.

3. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Had a pretty good day. Started by making breakfast (migas a la mexicana with bacon) for my wife and myself; visited my mother and took her lunch; went to the grocery store and all I bought was a six-pack of Shiner Bock beer and a bottle of Cholula hot sauce; went for a walk with my Chihuahua; went bicycle riding with my wife; had a wonderful dinner of homemade minestrone; and went to a hockey game with my daughter, and our team won 4-1. Relaxing now with some Shiner beer and Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin on the stereo.

Took a picture of my stag lambsfoot at a park my wife and I rode through, but the knife came out blurry. Here's a pic of the plaque at the park:
    [​IMG]
    Interesting history.
    Here's a picture of the view outside the hockey rink:
    [​IMG]
    That's Corpus Christi Bay. The closest boat may be a sightseeing boat. Then there's a ship heading into our port, one of the biggest ports in the nation. In the distance is the U.S.S. Lexington, built during WWII after the first Lexington was sunk. It saw action in the war, and was used for decades. It became a museum permanently moored here after it was decommissioned. It's my favourite museum. Here's a picture from after the game:
    [​IMG]
    It's nicknamed the Blue Ghost. It was supposedly sunk more than once during the war by the Japanese. They say it's haunted. But I spent a night on board with my sons' Boy Scout troop. I don't think it's haunted.
    Here's a pic from the game:
    [​IMG]
    The game was the last of the regular season, and was for the benefit of the Ronald McDonald House charity, so the home team was dressed like Ronald McDonald. They auctioned off the jerseys after the game.
    And here's the beer I'm drinking:
    [​IMG]
    Prosit!

meako, btb01, Jack Black and 12 others like this.
  4. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

meako, btb01, Ramrodmb and 8 others like this.
  5. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Sounds like an enjoyable day, Vince. Thanks for taking us along.

Prester John and Fodderwing like this.
  6. Fodderwing

Jan 31, 2017
    Interesting and enjoyable Vince. Thanks ... and cheers!

Prester John likes this.
  7. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Thanks, guys. Have a great Sunday!
    [​IMG]

Fodderwing, Jack Black and JohnDF like this.
  8. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Sounds like a fantastic day Vince :) Had a pretty good weekend myself :) :thumbsup:

Fodderwing and Prester John like this.
  9. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Parents in Leeds have found a way to get their teenage children to put down their smartphones and step away from their laptops...

GIVE THEM MEDIEVAL WEAPONS! :eek: :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inaugural meet-up of Leeds Under-18's Gladiator Academy ;)

10. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    They'll put their eyes out!
    Good idea otherwise, though.

meako, Fodderwing, JohnDF and 2 others like this.
  11. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    I've run into a snafu. The pinstock I was going to use for frets is too tough for my dikes, and I can't find my barbed wire pliers. So I'll string it up without the frets and see if it sounds like I want to put more work into it. Maybe I'll break down and buy real fret wire. Maybe I'll leave it alone and have the one and only steampunk five-string slide ukelele. Maybe I'll burn it and bury its ashes at a crossroads.
    I'm still guardedly optimistic- I might just buy the real fret wire.
    [​IMG]

veitsi_poika, meako, zolthar and 3 others like this.
  12. Prester John

May 20, 2018

Here is a video (hope I copied it correctly) which features the U.S.S. Lexington (peripherally) I posted pictures of yesterday. My son Jonathan is in it for 30 seconds about 12:36 in.

Cambertree, Fodderwing and Jack Black like this.
  13. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Do they have an Over-18 Gladiators Academy? I might move to England if so!

Cambertree, meako and zolthar like this.
  14. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Of course Vince, come on over, bring some Shiner Bock :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

15. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    I'd probably go for the Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale!
    By the way, I am planning to visit the Shiner brewery next Saturday. It's a couple of hours drive from here. Will try to remember to take some pics.

Cambertree, zolthar and Jack Black like this.
  16. Fodderwing

Jan 31, 2017
    Very cool Vince. I'd me most proud of that handsome and obviously erudite young man.

Prester John likes this.
  17. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Thank you, Dwight. I am indeed most proud. By the way, it's his infant daughter holding the knife I posted earlier (can't remember which thread!).

Jack Black and Fodderwing like this.
  18. Fodderwing

Jan 31, 2017
    I'm glad you told me that because i was wondering that exact thing. :cool:

Prester John likes this.
  19. dannyp

dannyp Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Spoetzl brewery is surprisingly small for how widely they distribute. At least it was when I was down there a few years ago. I don't like the Shiner Bock, but the other beer they had to sample was really good.

Prester John likes this.
  20. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    I've tried several of their beers, but the Bock is my favourite. But I tried a holiday beer of theirs recently that was surprisingly good, flavoured with peaches and pecans.

I see you're from St Louis. I toured the brewery there over twenty years ago. It was a big one!