"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

On another note, soon I should know just how badly I've wasted how much time. Just have to install the frets and strings. Actually, I'm guardedly optimistic.
Oh, and drill the tiny holes for the tiny screws to hold on the tuners.
That is just about way cool Jer. Very sweet.

Had a pretty good day. Started by making breakfast (migas a la mexicana with bacon) for my wife and myself; visited my mother and took her lunch; went to the grocery store and all I bought was a six-pack of Shiner Bock beer and a bottle of Cholula hot sauce; went for a walk with my Chihuahua; went bicycle riding with my wife; had a wonderful dinner of homemade minestrone; and went to a hockey game with my daughter, and our team won 4-1. Relaxing now with some Shiner beer and Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin on the stereo.

Took a picture of my stag lambsfoot at a park my wife and I rode through, but the knife came out blurry. Here's a pic of the plaque at the park:
QgrEAyn.jpg

Interesting history.
Here's a picture of the view outside the hockey rink:
gFZG1d6.jpg

That's Corpus Christi Bay. The closest boat may be a sightseeing boat. Then there's a ship heading into our port, one of the biggest ports in the nation. In the distance is the U.S.S. Lexington, built during WWII after the first Lexington was sunk. It saw action in the war, and was used for decades. It became a museum permanently moored here after it was decommissioned. It's my favourite museum. Here's a picture from after the game:
kRGhNdS.jpg

It's nicknamed the Blue Ghost. It was supposedly sunk more than once during the war by the Japanese. They say it's haunted. But I spent a night on board with my sons' Boy Scout troop. I don't think it's haunted.
Here's a pic from the game:
b7qUnZ0.jpg

The game was the last of the regular season, and was for the benefit of the Ronald McDonald House charity, so the home team was dressed like Ronald McDonald. They auctioned off the jerseys after the game.
And here's the beer I'm drinking:
8ViI3Vr.jpg

Prosit!

Had a pretty good day. Started by making breakfast (migas a la mexicana with bacon) for my wife and myself; visited my mother and took her lunch; went to the grocery store and all I bought was a six-pack of Shiner Bock beer and a bottle of Cholula hot sauce; went for a walk with my Chihuahua; went bicycle riding with my wife; had a wonderful dinner of homemade minestrone; and went to a hockey game with my daughter, and our team won 4-1. Relaxing now with some Shiner beer and Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin on the stereo.

Took a picture of my stag lambsfoot at a park my wife and I rode through, but the knife came out blurry. Here's a pic of the plaque at the park:
QgrEAyn.jpg

Interesting history.
gFZG1d6.jpg

That's Corpus Christi Bay. The closest boat may be a sightseeing boat. Then there's a ship heading into our port, one of the biggest ports in the nation. In the distance is the U.S.S. Lexington, built during WWII after the first Lexington was sunk. It saw action in the war, and was used for decades. It became a museum permanently moored here after it was decommissioned. It's my favourite museum. Here's a picture from after the game:
kRGhNdS.jpg

It's nicknamed the Blue Ghost. It was supposedly sunk more than once during the war by the Japanese. They say it's haunted. But I spent a night on board with my sons' Boy Scout troop. I don't think it's haunted.
b7qUnZ0.jpg

The game was the last of the regular season, and was for the benefit of the Ronald McDonald House charity, so the home team was dressed like Ronald McDonald. They auctioned off the jerseys after the game.
8ViI3Vr.jpg

Prosit!
Sounds like an enjoyable day, Vince. Thanks for taking us along.

QgrEAyn.jpg

Interesting history.
gFZG1d6.jpg

kRGhNdS.jpg

b7qUnZ0.jpg

8ViI3Vr.jpg

Prosit!
Interesting and enjoyable Vince. Thanks ... and cheers!

QgrEAyn.jpg

Interesting history.
gFZG1d6.jpg

kRGhNdS.jpg

b7qUnZ0.jpg

8ViI3Vr.jpg

Prosit!

Sounds like a fantastic day Vince :) Had a pretty good weekend myself :) :thumbsup:

Parents in Leeds have found a way to get their teenage children to put down their smartphones and step away from their laptops...

GIVE THEM MEDIEVAL WEAPONS! :eek: :D

WYOPKj9.jpg

B9J98EN.jpg

Inaugural meet-up of Leeds Under-18's Gladiator Academy ;)

I've run into a snafu. The pinstock I was going to use for frets is too tough for my dikes, and I can't find my barbed wire pliers. So I'll string it up without the frets and see if it sounds like I want to put more work into it. Maybe I'll break down and buy real fret wire. Maybe I'll leave it alone and have the one and only steampunk five-string slide ukelele. Maybe I'll burn it and bury its ashes at a crossroads.
I'm still guardedly optimistic- I might just buy the real fret wire.
DwKCtjB.jpg

Here is a video (hope I copied it correctly) which features the U.S.S. Lexington (peripherally) I posted pictures of yesterday. My son Jonathan is in it for 30 seconds about 12:36 in.
Very cool Vince. I'd me most proud of that handsome and obviously erudite young man.

By the way, I am planning to visit the Shiner brewery next Saturday. It's a couple of hours drive from here.

Spoetzl brewery is surprisingly small for how widely they distribute. At least it was when I was down there a few years ago. I don't like the Shiner Bock, but the other beer they had to sample was really good.

Spoetzl brewery is surprisingly small for how widely they distribute. At least it was when I was down there a few years ago. I don't like the Shiner Bock, but the other beer they had to sample was really good.
I've tried several of their beers, but the Bock is my favourite. But I tried a holiday beer of theirs recently that was surprisingly good, flavoured with peaches and pecans.

I see you're from St Louis. I toured the brewery there over twenty years ago. It was a big one!

Back