1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. dannyp

dannyp Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm just not a fan of the bock style in general. They had a black lager that I thought was pretty good and I think they had just brewed some of their Oktoberfest beer when we went. The more I think about it, it's probably been closer to a decade so I'm sure they have some other stuff now, too. That peaches and pecans sounds interesting. O'fallon Brewery here makes a peach wheat beer they call Wheach and it's pretty good when you're in the mood for that type of thing.

Prester John likes this.
  2. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    So did this guy take last place?

Capture.JPG

3. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I thought I had several leftover strings, but no, just one. I think it will be all right. I went ahead and ordered the fret wire, and some strings.
    [​IMG]
    The one string I had to test was hitting the resonator at high fret areas, so I whittled out the hole a bit at an angle to sink the resonator further. Then it seemed to be buzzing, so I squirted in some wood filler around the edge.

glennbad, r redden, zolthar and 3 others like this.
  4. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    Don't fret Jer, you'll be strumming along in no time :D

5. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    I entered a "Pun Writing" contest in the local paper a few years ago... the grand prize was $1,000! I sent in 10 different entries hoping that one of them would win but, No Pun In Ten Did.

6. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    Lastly for the evening... I was looking thru some papers at my Mom's the other day and found a receipt for the house I grew up in for the first 18 years of my life. It's funny that they just got a receipt from the builders and then a loan at the local bank and that was it. So simple back then. All that my Dad had to do was dig the hole and put up the CMU basement wall. $12,604 later was a house that my family loved for 44 years with very few issues. Roof was shingled twice and a few issues with the water heater and furnace. A blessing that will never be overlooked :) The house has since moved on as I needed to move my Mom to Wisconsin after my Dad passed away, but I would say that was money well spent because all of the memories we have from our humble abode are priceless :D

Capture.JPG

meako, glennbad, Jack Black and 11 others like this.
  7. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Last line in the commercial applies...

8. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I seem to recall it was "Get a rope!" Gonna play clip now to confirm.

Yep, I was right.

r redden, veitsi_poika and knarfeng like this.
  9. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    Sorry Frank ;):thumbsup:

It's troublesome that about 10% of the people around me at work have no idea what I mean when I suddenly say "This stuff's made in New York City?" Such a classic commercial :D

meako, r redden and Prester John like this.
  10. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    I seem to remember that the same guy who came up with "New York City?" came up with "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up".
    My source was a Samantha Brown Travel Channel show.

Fodderwing and veitsi_poika like this.
  11. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    Jer she's looking good sometimes fret buzz can be a real pain in the patoot to get rid of.

Kevin when I was cleaning out the old home place to sell I found my moms contract where she had purchased our house in 1961. 1400 sqft full basement and a barn on 6 acres for $6500. You sure can't get a house for that these days.

12. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    My folks house was priced at £500 in 1959, about $1000 then I think. It was due to be demolished a decade hence due to road-widening, but that was abandoned. Those houses must be worth a fortune now, not a big house, but the area got gentrified decades ago.

meako, r redden, veitsi_poika and 3 others like this.
  13. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    The strings arrived today, but the fret wire isn't due till tomorrow, so not much sense not waiting.
    Effete aesthetes!
    Haven't said that in a while.

14. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Just saw a hawk flying out of my yard with a snake... Thank you Mr. Hawk. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

15. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I am fine with them taking snakes, but sometimes they take chihuahuas!

meako and JohnDF like this.
  16. MattWRog

MattWRog Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Just gleaned this from my travels on the web. Bittersweet story but certainly some relevant content! Touching as the old farmer clearly had his wife on his mind in his last moments.

“On June 8th 1948, Canadian farmer Cecil George Harris was accidentally pinned under his tractor. He died of his injuries.

Days later, neighbors noticed an inscription in the tractor's fender that read:

"In case I die in this mess, I leave all to the wife. Cecil Geo Harris."

The fender was removed from the tractor, and was determined by the courts to be a legally valid handwritten will. The tractor fender, as well as the knife Harris used to carve his will into it, are currently on display at the University of Saskatchewan College of Law library.

On the one hand, Harris was probably not thrilled at what had occurred. It looks like he may have mistakenly put his tractor in reverse, and pinned his left leg under the wheel. However, he died an honorable death, at work with his tractor, and in his dying moments, he made sure that his family was taken care of.”[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I wish they'd pick up a few raccoons. :D

Prester John likes this.
  18. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Holographic wills are legal in Canada -- as long as it was handwritten in its entirety by the testator and was executed in one of the Canadian provinces that recognizes them.

That was an impressive job by Mr. Harris, inscribing his will with a pocketknife. His penmanship is a good deal better than what I see most folks capable of today using a pen and paper.

19. hamsco

hamsco Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    Interesting. Thanks for posting.

MattWRog likes this.
  20. MattWRog

MattWRog Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Just a neat human interest story. Have your affairs in order but be prepared! Who can identify the “scribes” tool :)?