1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    Amazing how few people carry a knife anymore! Glad you were there to "represent".

2. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    John I'm sorry to hear of your loss but I am glad you had the right tools for the tasks you encountered.

Jeff glad all went well still wishing you a speedy an complete recovery.

I just spent a week in a cabin in the woods with my daughter and her family. Best time I've had for ever they had a landline (if that's still a word) for emergency's but no tv, cell or internet service. It was a beautiful place with a trout pond I could get to with my wheelchair I know it was stocked but I still had fun. Anyway the time was up this morning and we had to come home my granddaughters were sad because they have school Monday but bat least they got out of the first week.

Jolipapa, btb01, Augie and 12 others like this.
  3. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks, Randy, I'm glad you've had a nice week, sounds very tranquil.

Jolipapa and r redden like this.
  4. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Sounds like an ideal setting for some relaxation with your family, Randy! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
    Glad you enjoyed it! :):)

- GT

r redden likes this.
  5. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    I forgot to post my carry I took with me last week a 56 Dogleg in natural micarta and a G L Drew custom clip point. If you've never handled one of Gerry's custom sheath knives you really should. He makes an excellent knife at very reasonable prices and he's one of our registered makers. The second picture is simply because I thought it was really cool that Carlos Santana's smiling face was gracing the cover of the latest issue of AARP Magazine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. glennbad

Jan 13, 2003
    Awesome Randy, it sounds like you guys had a great time that everyone will remember

Prester John and r redden like this.
  7. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    So where's the giant trout ?

Cutfinger likes this.
  8. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Man, you don’t know how access-hostile the world can be until you spend time in a chair. I’m out of mine now for a while, “progressed” to a fancy walker. I was fishing on the Cache La Poudre long ago with a young guy in a chair. The state had built an access ramp with perforated metal ramp going into the stream a few feet. No trees behind so a long back cast was possible. Situated on the inside of a broad bend so lots of water to cover. We fished together for a while and before I left he produced a box of some of the finest flies I’d seen. At the time I was also tying flies for money and his were better than mine.

Fishing is a blessing whether one is caught or not. Glad you got in some blessing time.

btb01, JohnDF, Cutfinger and 6 others like this.
  9. glennbad

Jan 13, 2003
    Years back, when my dad was alive and in better health, I really enjoyed fly fishing with him. Sitting in our Coleman Crawdad, we really didn't do an awful lot of talking, just enjoyed the quiet company, and rocking the boat with our back and forth fly casting motion until one of us complained, LOL.

I don't really fish at all anymore, maybe a deep sea trip once a year. Our son is not really into it, and I just don't have the heart or the spare time for it anymore.

I sure do miss it though...

10. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    “Piscator non solum piscatu”

meako likes this.
  11. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    I miss fishing with my dad too. He tells a story of the first time he took me out. I was like 5 years old and he rented a row boat and we fished a pond in Ohio, where we lived at the time. He said all I wanted to do was "row the boat". I wish he were still around to tell the story. He loved to make us laugh.

Anyway, after we moved to Utica, NY, just south of the Adirondack Park, we became pretty good fishermen, my dad, my younger brother and I. Many, many hours spent on the West Canada Creek dry fly fishing for brown trout. We fished and camped on most of the Fulton Chain lakes. Also took trips to Boston to fish Flounder. Best eating fish there is, IMO, fresh fried Flounder fillets (say that 5 times fast!).

Thursday my brother, my oldest son and I have a trip planned to our old fishing spots on the West Canada. I don't care if we catch anything or not.

We might catch something though. Here's 2 nice Brown Trout that my brother's SIL took from the same spot. I cut his head off to protect his identity. He's a good guy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Old Engineer, Lansky1, meako and 13 others like this.
  12. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I'm enjoying the fly fishing stories, guys. Thanks so much for sharing them. Fly fishing is one of my life's passions. My Dad hated fishing and anything outdoors (except gardening). I had to catch the fishing bug on my own.

Old Engineer, meako, glennbad and 4 others like this.
  13. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I'm looking for someone to try and play. :eek: Anybody interested? Meako? :D croco.jpg

meako, glennbad, Cutfinger and 4 others like this.
  14. JB in LV

JB in LV Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2016
    JP, I’m more of a golfer, this made the news recently. I’ve golfed with gators nearby, but not quite this close. I’d probably get flustered, hit a wormburner, crack the gator square, and have him come after me when he just wanted to go about his day.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    meako, Ramrodmb, Jolipapa and 2 others like this.
  15. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Keep your beloved pets/dogs out of ponds, lakes, and rivers !!! There are reports of dogs dying all over the US from blue green algae bloom toxins.

Spread the word !

16. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I don't have any pets, but I try to keep myself out of the water. I'm scared of brain-eating amoebae. And snapping turtles. And giant catfish. And rattlesnakes.

meako and Prester John like this.
  17. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    And sharks.

meako likes this.
  18. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    We might have bull sharks in the great lakes, now you mention it.

meako and Prester John like this.
  19. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Stayed out of deep water since Jaws, 1975.

20. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    This was not a boating accident!
    I wonder if that aquatic actress ever worked in film again.

meako likes this.