"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

You and I live different zones.
I live in Ottawa another capital city, a bit north of you.
I have many urban fruit trees, pears, cherries apples, staked out, with permission too!
What the devil is a pawpaw?
I'll look it up later.
It looks amazing.

Edited to add: I also live in an eight hundred square foot house, in a rough part of town. I love it, people stop and talk, I have great neighours, and I'm a ten minute bike ride away from downtown.
Haven't had the bike yet this year though. I have been working way too much.
To pick a pawpaw you need a fofork :p:D

You and I live different zones.
I live in Ottawa another capital city, a bit north of you.
I have many urban fruit trees, pears, cherries apples, staked out, with permission too!
What the devil is a pawpaw?
I'll look it up later.
It looks amazing.

Edited to add: I also live in an eight hundred square foot house, in a rough part of town. I love it, people stop and talk, I have great neighours, and I'm a ten minute bike ride away from downtown.
Haven't had the bike yet this year though. I have been working way too much.
Pawpaws are a native fruit that grow on a very small tree. I have only ever seen them growing within a couple hundred yards of the river. It is hard to describe the flavor but if you like mangoes you would like them. It seems there is a very narrow window to find ripe ones growing wild - one week they are hard as rocks and they next week they are on the ground rotting or eaten by animals. I must have stumbled on just the right time today.

To be fair, today’s bike ride was almost exactly 5 hours, with some dawdling. It would take you probably 1-1/2 hours to get downtown even by the most direct route.

Pawpaws are a native fruit that grow on a very small tree. I have only ever seen them growing within a couple hundred yards of the river. It is hard to describe the flavor but if you like mangoes you would like them. It seems there is a very narrow window to find ripe ones growing wild - one week they are hard as rocks and they next week they are on the ground rotting or eaten by animals. I must have stumbled on just the right time today.

To be fair, today’s bike ride was almost exactly 5 hours, with some dawdling. It would take you probably 1-1/2 hours to get downtown even by the most direct route.
In Africa, one day you eat mango, next day a [pawpaw] papaya. Problem is all [pawpaw] papaya (originating from Mexico) in North America are GMO. Well well well... :p:p:p

edited sept1st

Last edited:
I believe the paw paw is a relative of the kiwi which is native to Michigan. They are a little tricky because they're ready to eat when very ripe. A pudding-like consistency. [Beat me to it, Just Tom.]

I believe the paw paw is a relative of the kiwi which is native to Michigan. They are a little tricky because they're ready to eat when very ripe. A pudding-like consistency. [Beat me o it, Just Tom.]
No, they come from Mexico, like corn, unfortunately, same fate over the pond.

Wikipedia agrees with me, so you're probably right.
There may be different varieties, but the ones that grow here are definitely native to the region. The Federal Government agrees with me:https://www.nps.gov/articles/pawpaw.htm

Note they are not available in stores, you have to find them growing wild. They are not cultivated and unless you spend a lot of time outdoors you most likely have no idea they even grow here.

Last edited:
There may be different varieties, the the ones that grow here are definitely native to the region. The Federal Government agrees with me:https://www.nps.gov/articles/pawpaw.htm

Note they are not available in stores, you have to find them growing wild.

Fascinating!
I've been stuffing my face lately, with peaches and grapes, and nectarines from the Niagara region. And eating wild blueberries and blackberries. All of these wonderful things to eat, and they last but for a short time...

I'm fattening up on good stuff! :);)

Here in the opposite corner of Virginia we have wild pawpaw trees everywhere in the woods. I’ve heard they are pretty good to eat but like you I’ve never come across one fit to eat.

Back