"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I have been captivated lately o_O:D too old sadly too :(

Youth is often wasted on the young my friend :D ;) :thumbsup:

There are some very well-made films these days, filming techniques have advanced so much in recent years, and lightweight equipment is more readily available. Things were different back in the days when this film was made about my old friend Ron Fawcett, hard to believe it's filmed in 1984 and not 1974! :D :thumbsup:

We'll just have to learn to levitate.

:D :thumbsup:

Then there was Don Whillans who just intimidated hard routes.

Hard as nails! :thumbsup:

I never met the man, but his routes were intimidating! Some were short, but they were thuggish! :D :thumbsup:

I had to laugh (while watching that film) about Ron Fawcett supposedly not smoking or drinking. I didn't meet him until 1991, but he certainly enjoyed a pint and a cigar then :D

Youth is often wasted on the young my friend :D ;) :thumbsup:

There are some very well-made films these days, filming techniques have advanced so much in recent years, and lightweight equipment is more readily available. Things were different back in the days when this film was made about my old friend Ron Fawcett, hard to believe it's filmed in 1984 and not 1974! :D :thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:
I'm 16 mins in and even the equipment has evolved exponentially. Magnus says his fingers have formed into semi-rigid claws too. Ron is a beast in his work ethic !! The climbing gyms that exist now are incredible too. I at first thought the one Magnus trains in was in Sheffield.
Back to the film....Thanks my friend !!!!

Climbing has certainly changed. I’m 76 so I was active in the states, Colorado and Wyoming, back then and most of us rock guys smoked pot, tobacco and drank plenty of beer to stay in training.

Done with the dope and tobacco though, and the rock but I still enjoy the men and women now at the leading edge.

Yeah, and it's changed a heck of a lot since that film was shot. The young climbers today are athletes, they barely even eat from what I've seen! :D I used to climb with guys who thought it was cheating to climb without a hangover! :D ;) :thumbsup:

I used to be friends with Jim Perrin, who wrote Don Whillans' biography, and he was certainly very fond of a few illicit substances! :D :thumbsup:

I'm 16 mins in and even the equipment has evolved exponentially. Magnus says his fingers have formed into semi-rigid claws too. Ron is a beast in his work ethic !! The climbing gyms that exist now are incredible too. I at first thought the one Magnus trains in was in Sheffield.
Back to the film....Thanks my friend !!!!

Yes, that's before the days of Friends (camming devices) and sticky rubber! :D Ron grew up close to where I live now Gev, and later he lived close to Sheffield. He was the first British climber I know of who trained properly. I only knew his missus (Gill, in the film) slightly, as they had split up by the time I met him. A really nice guy though, and absolutely fearless when it came to rock :) :thumbsup:

By coincidence, some of that footage is filmed at Stanage Edge near Sheffield, where I took this pic I posted in the EDC thread today :)

nxAjlrP.jpg

And by coincidence, where, on the same day, I took the pic of the Vic Climber you gifted me :) :thumbsup:

7UffBu1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, and it's changed a heck of a lot since that film was shot. The young climbers today are athletes, they barely even eat from what I've seen! :D I used to climb with guys who thought it was cheating to climb without a hangover! :D ;) :thumbsup:

I used to be friends with Jim Perrin, who wrote Don Whillans' biography, and he was certainly very fond of a few illicit substances! :D :thumbsup:

Yes, that's before the days of Friends (camming devices) and sticky rubber! :D Ron grew up close to where I live now Gev, and later he lived close to Sheffield. He was the first British climber I know of who trained properly. I only knew his missus (Gill, in the film) slightly, as they had split up by the time I met him. A really nice guy though, and absolutely fearless when it came to rock :) :thumbsup:

By coincidence, some of that footage is filmed at Stanage Edge near Sheffield, where I took this pic I posted in the EDC thread today :)

nxAjlrP.jpg

And by coincidence, where, on the same day, I took the pic of the Vic Climber you gifted me :) :thumbsup:

7UffBu1.jpg
The video was a pleasure to watch !! The Villin looks like a good read too. Good to see the old climber and photos ! :D

Thanks Jack !:):thumbsup:

I picked up this nice old piece in York yesterday (shown next to my Hartshead Barlow to give an idea of the size). It was only just now that I realised it was made by Thomas Ward & Sons, where one of my two Irish great grandfathers worked, along with his brother, before going off to get killed in WW1. The way that my grandparents and parents talked about 'Tommy Ward' in a familiar way, along with various other Sheffield magnates, I thought he was a member of the family when I was a kid! :D :thumbsup:

2sPoWus.jpg

I picked up this nice old piece in York yesterday (shown next to my Hartshead Barlow to give an idea of the size). It was only just now that I realised it was made by Thomas Ward & Sons, where one of my two Irish great grandfathers worked, along with his brother, before going off to get killed in WW1. The way that my grandparents and parents talked about 'Tommy Ward' in a familiar way, along with various other Sheffield magnates, I thought he was a member of the family when I was a kid! :D :thumbsup:

2sPoWus.jpg
Sweet butter that is beautiful, Jack ! Interesting history :cool::thumbsup:

Way cool anecdote of your life, Jack!! Thanks for sharing those interesting tidbits!!

Back