"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

LSnoVIH.jpg

Grampa's razor is good for circumscribing a 'tache. He died ca 1970, and I took this out of his medicine chest not long after. I must have asked, because I don't feel guilty about having it.
I've ordered some blades for it because the ones I've got are about 50 years old also, though they work. A shipper who shall be nameless has alerted me that they delivered the package to me in the next township, two days ago. Give me USPS any time.

TRivu9V.jpg

:D:D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks so much for the prayers and well wishes, and sage advice;). Let out of the cage in the house she rubbed all over my legs,then went and looked around at things like she'd never seen it before :p
Fantastic! :thumbsup:
LSnoVIH.jpg

Grampa's razor is good for circumscribing a 'tache. He died ca 1970, and I took this out of his medicine chest not long after. I must have asked, because I don't feel guilty about having it.
I've ordered some blades for it because the ones I've got are about 50 years old also, though they work. A shipper who shall be nameless has alerted me that they delivered the package to me in the next township, two days ago. Give me USPS any time.
Ahem...my brain did not scan that word as "circumscribing" at first. :eek::p
Cool razor. :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks so much for the prayers and well wishes, and sage advice;). Let out of the cage in the house she rubbed all over my legs,then went and looked around at things like she'd never seen it before :p
(I wrote this a couple of hours ago, but discovered I never posted it (until now). :eek::rolleyes: TGIF!!)
The happy ending to your and Tater's story is the cat's pajamas, David! :thumbsup::thumbsup::):)
When my wife and I got married, she brought a 1-earred, 3 legged cat with her. He had been an outdoor cat until he lost one of his legs, but he was always an indoor cat when I knew him. He did get out the back door one day to rush at a neighborhood feral tomcat, and promptly got his butt kicked! He was a voluntary indoor cat for the rest of his life! :D:thumbsup::D
Maybe Tater's adventure will have the same effect. ;)

- GT

5K Qs 5K Qs
Thanks Gary,
Well at least he had the salt to give it one more go,even though it showed him it was time to hang up the gloves. The longest lived cat I ever had was an outdoor only farm cat. Many battle scars from tomcat fights with the neighbors cats, and fights with dogs. Quite a few of those he won in his younger years. I know he was struck by a car twice,and shot with a .22 twice, eventually he was blinded in one eye in a fight. And went deaf in his "golden" years. Was an absolute terror to mice, rats, and full grown rabbits was know to be taken down by him,and snakes, loved to kill a snake.Absolutely loved people though,would lay in your lap and be content as long as you'd let him. Followed me absolutely everywhere. Would ride hanging off my back looking over my shoulder when I rode my dirtbike as a kid,never put his claws in me, just my shirt! 22 years of life as a hard scrabble mountain farm cat,there are time I still miss the Ol'scrapper. Good Ol Tommy boy. He's the cat that started my hopefully lifelong enjoyment of fine feline companions :thumbsup:

Good Ol Tommy boy was an uncommon feline. Pretty cool :thumbsup: Non cat people don't get how much of a personality a good cat can have and how dedicated they can be to their human companions. I've had a few that would come when I whistled and were more than happy to join me out on a walk about in the woods, among other "non cat" characteristics. They certainly pulled in me and my heart. ;) Glad that Tater has come home.

Ray

TRivu9V.jpg

That’s such great news. I’m glad she’s back safe with you. :thumbsup: :)

LSnoVIH.jpg

What a neat razor and a treasure to have from your Grandpa. Out of curiosity, what sort of blade does it take? A double-edged safety razor blade, or something else?

Ahem...my brain did not scan that word as "circumscribing" at first. :eek::p

You’re not the only one. ;)

That’s such great news. I’m glad she’s back safe with you. :thumbsup: :)

What a neat razor and a treasure to have from your Grandpa. Out of curiosity, what sort of blade does it take? A double-edged safety razor blade, or something else?

You’re not the only one. ;)
It's an injector. The blade box has a key that slides into the top of the razor handle, and a slide to push the new blade in and displace the old.
I also have an adjustable Pal injector razor; no idea when or why I bought it or when or why I stopped using it.
1odP08S.jpg

Or how I got white paint on it.

Last edited:
All this Feline Saga :cool: people often talk about Cat person or Dog person, some people do like both and then some oddities don't like either...:rolleyes: But I suspect they choose us:D Cats, including reclusive or nervous ones have always liked me and ever since I was a very small child they've been drawn to me, much to the surprise of owners'. Dogs on the other hand don't like me so I leave them be;)

Pipp turned up at the country house in 15, some months old, un-neutered and wormy. Whether she was just abandoned or got in a car or van by accident- she likes cars a lot and insists on getting in them.- will never know. First time I saw her she was 150 metres up the track, thought it was a small Hare, but no, on me making noises and encouragement she tore along the track without hesitation and rolled at my feet. Immediately followed me in the house without hesitation, we had no food as such but a can of Tuna and lactose free milk was relished. After a wash she fell asleep for a couple of hours exhausted. This was August, she remained in the garden or around the sheds & barns for many weeks always delighted to see somebody, she hadn't ben reported missing although she did disappear for a couple of weeks. then in January with temps reaching -25c she was taken to town, vaccinated and 'fixed' she took to the flat immediately and stayed there for a few months. Come April she was taken back to the country and so the 'commuting' began with her travelling at week-ends and holidays, she loves both town and country and can be considered lucky.

There are other sides: she walks long distances with me like a dog might, climbs a lot and is sociable. She's not the 'cuddly' type though and won't sit on you except to evict you from a chair, although once when I was very unhappy and distraught she jumped on me to reassure me. Nor does she like being picked up for long...biting will start:D In addition to being a relentless huntrix she is insanely possessive of the property, any other cat even passing by is attacked and driven off. Last month a horrible sound of cat fighting, I rush out to see her jumping a Tomcat 3 x her size, tearing fur out of him and chasing him up the track screaming:D Found out she has siamese ancestry so t might explain the behaviours and her slimness&muscularity. Everyman should think their cat or dog to be the finest in the world, otherwise they're not up to the ownership mark;) Here she is soon after arrival, large paws for a small slim cat:cool:

dkkcQKA.jpg

It's an injector. The blade box has a key that slides into the top of the razor handle, and a slide to push the new blade in and displace the old.
I also have an adjustable Pal injector razor; no idea when or why I bought it or when or why I stopped using it.
1odP08S.jpg

Or how I got white paint on it.
A Schick Injector was my first razor. My father used a safety razor, which I love the most. Don't shave much anymore--got a full beard. Shave every day, or not at all!

A Schick Injector was my first razor. My father used a safety razor, which I love the most. Don't shave much anymore--got a full beard. Shave every day, or not at all!
"I looked at myself in the mirror. No good, I said to myself. Shave every day, even if there's no-one around to see you but the lizard looking down from his tree-branch." Errol Flynn, from the jungle in New Guinea.
That's a paraphrase rather than a quote, really.

I can't grow a beard. Even my mustache is a little lop-sided, but if I limp and weave, nobody notices.

It's just occurred to me that these knives are rather strange. (Case, Imperial, A.W.Wadsworth(Wadsworth imported us some nice knives))
l4ddncM.jpg

If I really need the EO notch, what am I going to do with the pen blade that doesn't have an EO notch?
In my experience, the EO notch isn't common, but a single blade EO is less common than the 2-blade.
Maybe the EO main is for sudden emergencies, and the pen for when you have time to be philosophical.

Anyway, I would love to have something like these in stainless. Maybe keeping the pen blade, because I'm so philosophical.
RR has something close, but it has copper bolsters and a black blade. I'm not planning to silently interdict anyone in the dark with my jackknife.

But I guess you never know.

I have a big e-mouth this morning. Better turn this thing off.

Last edited:
I’m using chemotherapy. No hair worries at all. :rolleyes: :D
This sounds like something my Dad would've said during his chemo.:thumbsup: Never underestimate a positive outlook even in adverse situations. When doctors told him he'd loose part of his colon he told my sister there was something good about that. :eek:When she asked what in the world that could be, he said"At least I wont have to listen to that A-hole talking s#!t behind my back no more" He's 7 years cancer free:thumbsup: Stay positive my friend, to have the courage to laugh in its face despite the odds is an inspiration for the rest of us on how to live.

Back