"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

For about six months I was growing a chin beard, kind of goatee but no moustache. Just now I got rid of the damned thing, YES! It itched most of the time-not helped by me pulling it- but how on earth a full face beard would feel :eek: Then it seemed to need lot of trimming to avoid an unkempt look:rolleyes: strategic shaving etc. Perhaps it's like the patina thing;) I'll start all over again tomorrow...not.

fG4I1nc.jpg
Face patina!
5CA4B2AC-62F2-4F5F-B0AA-4B92515F35FF.jpeg

For about six months I was growing a chin beard, kind of goatee but no moustache. Just now I got rid of the damned thing, YES! It itched most of the time-not helped by me pulling it- but how on earth a full face beard would feel :eek: Then it seemed to need lot of trimming to avoid an unkempt look:rolleyes: strategic shaving etc. Perhaps it's like the patina thing;) I'll start all over again tomorrow...not.

fG4I1nc.jpg
Full beard, Will. The only way to go.
Lovely Lag there. :cool::thumbsup:

New beards itch on occasion. When they do, stop and wash your beard with soap and water. Just regular bar soap works well. It greatly reduces the itching. The itchy phase usually lasts a couple of weeks. Then your face gets used to the foliage.

I first grew a beard when I was, I think, 19. Since then I've had a beard the majority of the time. I had a break in beard-time during the years I worked in chemistry labs once they started certifying people for respirators. I worked years in the labs with a beard before they started that. Per OSHA regs, you can't seal a face mask over a beard. (even though you actually can.)

I knew beard talk would ignite responses :D My brothers all had beards or moustaches, not my father though, so I take after him I suppose :) I just couldn't stop pulling it, tried beard balm but that didn't seem to help ;) then it got long enough to get caught up in scarves or zips :eek: not the trouser type though :D Prester John Prester John if I went full beard I'd scratch myself to death like I'd been wrapped up in glass fibre wool (did that as a kid :eek:) JTB_5 JTB_5 very cool even patina there, was that forced or natural? Did mustard help?;) knarfeng knarfeng Often wondered about beards and masks then with glasses as well, tricky... During World War 1 when gassing each other became a favoured method...I think beard wearing became less popular with soldiers having to wear those terrible masks helmets. In the British Empire armies beards were not allowed (Indian army excepted) nor I think in US forces but the Germans, Russians and French all allowed soldiers to be bearded.

fG4I1nc.jpg

ZYL0cbDh.jpg

So many things are itching me and for so long that i hadn't noticed my chin beard was itchy.

Dan.

Last edited:
I knew beard talk would ignite responses :D My brothers all had beards or moustaches, not my father though, so I take after him I suppose :) I just couldn't stop pulling it, tried beard balm but that didn't seem to help ;) then it got long enough to get caught up in scarves or zips :eek: not the trouser type though :D Prester John Prester John if I went full beard I'd scratch myself to death like I'd been wrapped up in glass fibre wool (did that as a kid :eek:) JTB_5 JTB_5 very cool even patina there, was that forced or natural? Did mustard help?;) knarfeng knarfeng Often wondered about beards and masks then with glasses as well, tricky... During World War 1 when gassing each other became a favoured method...I think beard wearing became less popular with soldiers having to wear those terrible masks helmets. In the British Empire armies beards were not allowed (Indian army excepted) nor I think in US forces but the Germans, Russians and French all allowed soldiers to be bearded.
I haven’t tried to leave the mustard on to enhance the patina as the social consequences outweigh the cool effects of oxidation. However, the gray streaks have come by long and patient use. ;)

Beard is extremely rare but not forbidden in the French Army as long as it is well cared and not invading (short). You must keep it all the time you're in the army. Remember the WWI soldiers nickname was "Poilus".
The Légion has always bearded pionneers marching first. Their look (beard and buffalo apron) coined the famous expression "tablier de sapeur" (pioneer's apron), which is a famous lyonnais dish and in slang something I leave you the pleasure of discovering. ;)

However, the beard is strictly forbidden in the uniform police. One exception remained famous, Rémy Armand Alcide Leclercq. For long he was one of the curiosity of the busy porte St Denis district.
75110_Paris_10%C3%A8me_Arrondissement_Agent_Leclercq_Porte_St_Denis.jpg

(no it is not a Merck bus, it's a Schneider)

I've been scarce for a couple days. Windows immolated itself on my PC. It seems a little disingenuous to say, "We can't repair your device, so we'll fix the problem by erasing everything and re-installing Windows." Almost as if my device wasn't the problem.
It's running fine so far with Ubuntu. Good thing I had the old disc lying around.

I don't buy shaving materials. I've had my beard since about 1968!!:rolleyes:
My kids and grandkids have never seen my shaved chin!!:p

On another topic, I had a little chat with my post woman (at a distance!!).
Her answer to delays in the mail, at least in part;
"The sorting machines "read" the postal code!! If it's not legible to the machine, it is kicked-out, to be sorted later by hand - sometimes much later!!":mad: I have been printing it carefully ever since!!:eek:

Been robbing people blind ever since! I shave probably about 5 times a year because of the cost of blades. Electric razors don't like me so I just trim with the reliable old Wahl brand clippers :)
Double-edged razor blades are incredibly cheap. Like the one used in the safety razor in the pic you "quoted." You can shave daily for very little. Maybe a couple of bucks a month, depending on how many shaves from each blade. I used to use each blade at least three times, sometimes five or more. Way better shaves than with those ridiculous multi-blade cartridges.

I don't buy shaving materials. I've had my beard since about 1968!!:rolleyes:
My kids and grandkids have never seen my shaved chin!!:p

On another topic, I had a little chat with my post woman (at a distance!!).
Her answer to delays in the mail, at least in part;
"The sorting machines "read" the postal code!! If it's not legible to the machine, it is kicked-out, to be sorted later by hand - sometimes much later!!":mad: I have been printing it carefully ever since!!:eek:
Charlie:
I worked for Canada Post off and on for several years (admittedly, about 50 years ago). The amazing and somewhat plausible sounding excuses for late mail that are given to the public rival the typical nonsense that the politicians and lately, the provincial health officers dispense. Back in 1969, my duties included delivering special delivery letters in Regina, Saskatchewan. One evening, a letter was found (!) that was more than 6 months old, and was sent out for delivery. Another poor sap got that job, not me!

Double-edged razor blades are incredibly cheap. Like the one used in the safety razor in the pic you "quoted." You can shave daily for very little. Maybe a couple of bucks a month, depending on how many shaves from each blade. I used to use each blade at least three times, sometimes five or more. Way better shaves than with those ridiculous multi-blade cartridges.

Spot on!:) DE blades are far cheaper than multi blade cartridges etc plus they don't produce all that plastic toxic waste of packaging & handles, advertising. Just paper and steel which go in re-cycling bins.

Mind you, Gillette has long lost its original DE crown to Feather from Japan (my favourite) or Astra or Russian blades such as Voskhod. Gillette moved where the mass money is: multi-blades but those 'in the know' use a DE razorblade:cool:

Beards, like Traditional knives ;), are an aesthetic thing: they certainly suit some man and certainly not others :eek: as for the usual man-up refrain....well try using a cut-throat razor, THAT focuses your attention and fear :D

Spot on!:) DE blades are far cheaper than multi blade cartridges etc plus they don't produce all that plastic toxic waste of packaging & handles, advertising. Just paper and steel which go in re-cycling bins.

Mind you, Gillette has long lost its original DE crown to Feather from Japan (my favourite) or Astra or Russian blades such as Voskhod. Gillette moved where the mass money is: multi-blades but those 'in the know' use a DE razorblade:cool:

Beards, like Traditional knives ;), are an aesthetic thing: they certainly suit some man and certainly not others :eek: as for the usual man-up refrain....well try using a cut-throat razor, THAT focuses your attention and fear :D
Feathers are great. Love that Japanese steel. Also like the German-made Wilkinson Sword blades. If I start shaving again, I would like to get a straight razor. Or maybe just use a Bowie knife.

Back