"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

@waynorth Charlie your grandson pic (even though hes a Ranga) and the good news has improved my day. (even though its been pretty good ) Cheers....I could be going insane again but phone suggested deleting gb of unused apps......err yah ...but not the bank app.!!!....pita.....and puleeeze dont start me on tax returns....
Cheers.

Thanks for the reminder, ED. I printed out my W2s from work today after reading your post, and I think I've received all the 1099-Rs I need to be able to do my taxes. I've always done mine myself on paper forms, like ED describes, but I'm wondering if I should go to some "pro" now that I'm starting to get some of my income from retirement accounts and eventually Social Security, just to get an idea of what I should be doing.

- GT
I have paid a professional to do my taxes every year for the last 2 decades. (same one) For just a couple hundred dollars I can KNOW that mine are done RIGHT! Every single year my Tax man explains "this is something new this year." Most years there are several changes and new laws. I don't know how the average person would even be able to keep up with the new laws and changes in the tax code every year unless you had the most basic filing, and even then.... I think it's money well spent. Especially with multiple W-2's, 1099's and IRA's involved.:thumbsup:

I have paid a professional to do my taxes every year for the last 2 decades. (same one) For just a couple hundred dollars I can KNOW that mine are done RIGHT! Every single year my Tax man explains "this is something new this year." Most years there are several changes and new laws. I don't know how the average person would even be able to keep up with the new laws and changes in the tax code every year unless you had the most basic filing, and even then.... I think it's money well spent. Especially with multiple W-2's, 1099's and IRA's involved.:thumbsup:

Same here, except it's been 4 decades with the same accountant. Man I'm old. It's enough work for me to just get all the paperwork together. He's always come to our home and sat across the table from us, as we push papers at him and he reviews changes and goes through his checklist. This year we'll be dropping off all our documents and have to ask and answer questions via phone. He also gets a call or email a couple of times a year if I'm going to cash something in or move it around. Definitely worth the money.

I’m with you Mark. :D The first year my wife and I both had “real jobs,” we kinda botched the dual income part of our withholdings and ended up owing the IRS a fair chunk of change. We got a recommendation for a good tax guy, brought him our stuff (all the exact same stuff I had already put into the DIY tax software), and he came back with a number that was about $1k less than the software. He’s been doing our taxes ever since. :thumbsup:

I’m about to head out to take Eleanor to swim lessons. I guess I can’t wear shorts today. o_O :D

91V4LDW.jpg

Y’all have a nice Sunday!

Good points, Mark. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Most of my life my income taxes have been VERY basic (except for a couple of years long ago when my wife was trying to sell Discovery Toys, and all the self-employment taxes, business deductions, etc. were too much for an amateur like me). Income was just wages from my employer(s), and it usually paid to itemize deductions (typically just charitable giving, property taxes, and mortgage interest). Last year, the bump in the standard deduction meant that it was silly to even itemize deductions! But I think I'm now moving into a phase of "income life" where everything is different than what I'm used to (maybe no more difficult, but certainly unfamiliar), and I'm sure I'd benefit from "learning the ropes" from a professional.

I wonder if there's a tax advantage to raising my knife budget above my usual $1/day limit?? :rolleyes:

- GT

I use an accountant not just because of the things in the code that I don’t know- it’s mainly because of the things I don’t know that I don’t know. (Unk-Unks) There have been several occasions over the years when he came up with something beneficial which it would never have even occurred to me to look for.:confused:

Last edited:
What I find hardest to understand is for 30 yrs I worked for NSW fire brigade...at the end I was on 100+k / yr...and always got a bit back on tax return...did it myself.Since retiring on medical grounds.... my pension and some bus driving...I make not much more than half that amount and going through a business accountant I end with a hefty tax bill that I have to pay off...any gardening work is taxed at 36%...so Id be working out in the hot sun for 18bux an hour...not worth it.

About 18 years ago my wife forbade me to do the taxes anymore. She had gotten tired of the blue haze that hovered over the table where I would work at them for a couple of weeks every year. First she made us go to Block for a couple of years. Then she went to work for that outfit, then she worked for other outfits doing the same thing. Needless to say, she took over doing the taxes. She's been doing it ever since. Proverbially speaking, they recognize me in the city gates.

Last edited:
I finally got my own bird picture.
Not the best picture I'm afraid, but this Blue Bird came into my classroom for a visit just before students arrived.
Not sure if he likes me or hates me, but he hangs out at my office window every day, so much that the students nicknamed him "BB".
Don't know for sure that it's a Blue Bird, but that's what I've been told by people that know more than I do about it.

JohnDF JohnDF That desk has a lot of potential as a feeding table :D Time to get in mixed seeds, nuts, sunflower seeds, 25kg sacks:cool: You might get joined by Squirrels and Deer:D then you can give the kids an impromptu Biology/Natural History lecture.....:eek:

JohnDF JohnDF That desk has a lot of potential as a feeding table :D Time to get in mixed seeds, nuts, sunflower seeds, 25kg sacks:cool: You might get joined by Squirrels and Deer:D then you can give the kids an impromptu Biology/Natural History lecture.....:eek:

Did anybody said "squirrels" :D

I like that idea, maybe I can get some great knife/bird pictures like CelloDan CelloDan :D

:thumbsup: :D you might get swarmed, especially if you show them your HHB :cool:

Back