"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

The lady that gave me my shot said Tylenol. When I asked why not Advil she said Tylenol was better for high fevers but either would work. I took some Advil in the morning.

Not sure if I am the one you remembered but yes , Tylenol or advil (ibuprofen) after the second shot will help. Taking any of them beforehand will weaken the vaccine. I took a total of three advils, one every six hours and drank a lot of water. Most will recommend taking Tylenol first and if that doesn't work take advil. Hope this helps and you feel better soon.
Yeah, it was you. I take most of us experts with a grain of salt, but I give more credence to you "so-called" experts, with your training and experience. Thanks for the reminder.
My second Pfizer shot is Wednesday, GWatCDR. So I still feel fine.

Had the second shot.

Maybe I shouldn't have.

Got the shot down at the VA yesterday, and didn't feel bad at bedtime. Then I got up this morning. Maybe I shouldn't have done that either. Man, talk about aches! Even my hair hurts when I toweled off after the shower. And its sooooo weird, aside from general aches, everything I ever broke and have some arthritis issues with, hurts way more today. And talk about headaches! I've had hangovers that make this look mild.:eek: A couple Tylenol and a good stone cut of tea, and I feel a little better. A little.

I think I'll just go back to bed and try again tomorrow.:confused:

All in all, I guess its better than a ventilator tube down my gullet.
Hang in there buddy!:thumbsup:;)

Not sure if I am the one you remembered but yes , Tylenol or advil (ibuprofen) after the second shot will help. Taking any of them beforehand will weaken the vaccine. I took a total of three advils, one every six hours and drank a lot of water. Most will recommend taking Tylenol first and if that doesn't work take advil. Hope this helps and you feel better soon.
Oops! :oops::thumbsdown: (I seem to be saying that a lot lately in so many different contexts.)
I had my second dose of the COVID vaccine this morning, and took a 200mg Advil an hour or two before the shot. I've always tried to be proactive with my Advil use, taking it in advance of vigorous exercise likely to cause knee pain afterward, for example. I figured the same principle probably applied here - oops. :(

If I had just googled the question first, I'd have known that the pain reliever could interfere with my immune system kicking in to "fight" the vaccine and produce antibodies. As one expert wrote, the second shot can produce some rough symptoms, but let your system work; don't use pain relievers, but handle the discomfort by whining! I could have done that; I'm told I'm pretty good at whining. ;) Live and learn (and hopefully not die because of it. :eek:).

(I feel fine 9 hours after the shot though, but I guess that's not a good sign.)

- GT

I feel fine 9 hours after the shot though, but I guess that's not a good sign
Let's hope that one advil didn't mess things for you. I took the advils because I work in healthcare and didn't have time to feel sick, a few of my co-workers were already in home arres... I mean home quarantine. Things got kinda' busy for us but it is easing up a little. Stay well, stay hydrated.

My second Pfizer shot fell on 3/17. My book club was supposed to meet that night, too, but we moved it to Thursday in deference to St. Paddy’s. Either way, I was going out to Mall of America to get that shot.

Like the first shot, the second one left me with no ill effects. At least the flu shot usually gives me a sore arm.

My second Pfizer shot fell on 3/17. My book club was supposed to meet that night, too, but we moved it to Thursday in deference to St. Paddy’s. Either way, I was going out to Mall of America to get that shot.

Like the first shot, the second one left me with no ill effects. At least the flu shot usually gives me a sore arm.
Great news Henry! I, like you, was fortunate and had no ill effects either. :)

Oops! :oops::thumbsdown: (I seem to be saying that a lot lately in so many different contexts.)
I had my second dose of the COVID vaccine this morning, and took a 200mg Advil an hour or two before the shot. I've always tried to be proactive with my Advil use, taking it in advance of vigorous exercise likely to cause knee pain afterward, for example. I figured the same principle probably applied here - oops. :(

If I had just googled the question first, I'd have known that the pain reliever could interfere with my immune system kicking in to "fight" the vaccine and produce antibodies. As one expert wrote, the second shot can produce some rough symptoms, but let your system work; don't use pain relievers, but handle the discomfort by whining! I could have done that; I'm told I'm pretty good at whining. ;) Live and learn (and hopefully not die because of it. :eek:).

(I feel fine 9 hours after the shot though, but I guess that's not a good sign.)

- GT
Wear that mustache and go back for another dose! (Don't try this at home. Always consult your health care professional.)

Wow, what a difference a day makes!

Isn't there a song by that titles? Woke up this morning feeling almost totally back to normal. No headache, no muscle ache, just a little sleepy feeling but I haven't had my morning cup of tea yet. My dear old Great Aunt Tilly, a tiny little lady from the old country with the black shawl over her head, swore a cup of tea was the panacea of all ills. She may have been right.

Its funny how when you feel bad, some memories come creeping into the mind. I thought back to my great Aunt Tilly. A tiny little lady that granddad had brought over from the 'old country' when he got established here in the U.S.

She was strait out of central casting for an elderly lady from the Irish countryside. She has survived some hard times in Ireland, and lived with my grandparents over on the Eastern shore of Maryland. She spoke more gallic than English but could get by in what she called the language of "The Enemy".

I recall one time, maybe I was like 6 or 7 years old, I was crying about something, and Great Aunt Tilly called me over with a "Come 'er boyo, a good cup of tea will fix it up." Now being raised on good strong black tea, I had an appreciation of it, so Great Aunt Tilly made up a pot, and broke out the tin of biscuits. Tea and biscuits is a good thing. They came in a round cookie tin like thing, and were these crunchy vanilla cookie like things. They went well with tea with a spoon of honey in it. I had stopped crying about whatever I was so upset over, and thats when she leaned over in a conspirator tone and told me in her wisdom of eighty some years, that if you can make a cup of tea, its not so bad.

Now a lifetime later, I realize that she set a habit in me, that when faced with some crisis, I tend to go make a cup of tea. If theres a cookie around, so much the better.

Its funny how when you feel bad, some memories come creeping into the mind. I thought back to my great Aunt Tilly. A tiny little lady that granddad had brought over from the 'old country' when he got established here in the U.S.

She was strait out of central casting for an elderly lady from the Irish countryside. She has survived some hard times in Ireland, and lived with my grandparents over on the Eastern shore of Maryland. She spoke more gallic than English but could get by in what she called the language of "The Enemy".

I recall one time, maybe I was like 6 or 7 years old, I was crying about something, and Great Aunt Tilly called me over with a "Come 'er boyo, a good cup of tea will fix it up." Now being raised on good strong black tea, I had an appreciation of it, so Great Aunt Tilly made up a pot, and broke out the tin of biscuits. Tea and biscuits is a good thing. They came in a round cookie tin like thing, and were these crunchy vanilla cookie like things. They went well with tea with a spoon of honey in it. I had stopped crying about whatever I was so upset over, and thats when she leaned over in a conspirator tone and told me in her wisdom of eighty some years, that if you can make a cup of tea, its not so bad.

Now a lifetime later, I realize that she set a habit in me, that when faced with some crisis, I tend to go make a cup of tea. If theres a cookie around, so much the better.
I'll be getting my second shot in a couple weeks, and I'm reassuring myself that feeling sick for a day or two is nothing compared to getting covid. (and I figure I'm still ahead since wearing a mask around other people has kept me from catching my typical yearly colds or flu)

I think my great grandmother was the Ukrainian version of your Aunt Tilly. Some of her words of wisdom were passed down in family stories, such as when my mother and her sisters were old enough to start dating:
"You can kiss the boys. You can let the boys kiss you. Just never believe what they tell you."
;):D

Awesome story jackknife, hope you feel better soon!:):thumbsup:

Wow, what a difference a day makes!

Isn't there a song by that titles? Woke up this morning feeling almost totally back to normal. No headache, no muscle ache, just a little sleepy feeling but I haven't had my morning cup of tea yet. My dear old Great Aunt Tilly, a tiny little lady from the old country with the black shawl over her head, swore a cup of tea was the panacea of all ills. She may have been right.

Of course she did Carl, she was Irish! :D Glad you're feeling better my friend :) There are some great lines about the Irish love of tea, and of tea-drinking in Sean O'Casey's Juno & The Paycock :) :thumbsup:

Great advice, and heart-warming memories :)

Just as true of the English of course :D I was reading a book about the conflict in North Africa in WW2, and the author noted the head-scratching of the newly-arrived US troops at the sight of the British soldiers hunkering down making tea, whenever there was a chance to do so! :D :thumbsup:

sFQOFmr.jpg

I think my great grandmother was the Ukrainian version of your Aunt Tilly. Some of her words of wisdom were passed down in family stories, such as when my mother and her sisters were old enough to start dating:
"You can kiss the boys. You can let the boys kiss you. Just never believe what they tell you."

LOL! :D Good luck with the shot Rachel :) :thumbsup:

I'll be getting my second shot in a couple weeks, and I'm reassuring myself that feeling sick for a day or two is nothing compared to getting covid. (and I figure I'm still ahead since wearing a mask around other people has kept me from catching my typical yearly colds or flu)

Good luck with your second shot. You may be fine. I went down to the VA wth my friend and neighbor, Felix, who is an ex=Marine. We got the second shot at the same time, at the same place and drove home together. The next day when I was feeling like I was dying, Felix was helping another neighbor change his hot water heater!:eek: He had no side effects to speak of.

Maybe the vaccine was scared to antagonize a Marine!o_O

I think the Chinese and American Indians are smarter than us for venerating their older generation of grandparents for their wisdom. Think of all they may have learned from harsh experience in their long years, and how we were young and foolish and thought we knew it all.

Of course she did Carl, she was Irish! :D Glad you're feeling better my friend :) There are some great lines about the Irish love of tea, and of tea-drinking in Sean O'Casey's Juno & The Paycock :) :thumbsup:

Great advice, and heart-warming memories :)

Just as true of the English of course :D I was reading a book about the conflict in North Africa in WW2, and the author noted the head-scratching of the newly-arrived US troops at the sight of the British soldiers hunkering down making tea, whenever there was a chance to do so! :D :thumbsup:

sFQOFmr.jpg

LOL! :D Good luck with the shot Rachel :) :thumbsup:

LOVE that photo!!!

Theres something sooooo civilized about tea time. When I was in England, I learned that the morning tea was sort of important, but no over whelming, and could be ignored if need be.

BUT...the afternoon tea, high tea, was never to be ignored upon fate of...something bad I'm sure. Afternoon tea was of a higher plane than the morning tea, and I loved the little sandwiches, biscuits, and that cream that was more like whipped cream, (Devonshire cream?) and the marmalade.

It was like a re-set of the day, a fall back to re-group and go on from. No wonder that if a break casein the trenches in WW1, or a lull in the action in the North African desert, a pot of tea was made. A spot of civilization in the midst of insane chaos.

I can only wonder if thats why the Brits and Canadians are so polite?o_O

LOVE that photo!!!

Theres something sooooo civilized about tea time. When I was in England, I learned that the morning tea was sort of important, but no over whelming, and could be ignored if need be.

BUT...the afternoon tea, high tea, was never to be ignored upon fate of...something bad I'm sure. Afternoon tea was of a higher plane than the morning tea, and I loved the little sandwiches, biscuits, and that cream that was more like whipped cream, (Devonshire cream?) and the marmalade.

It was like a re-set of the day, a fall back to re-group and go on from. No wonder that if a break casein the trenches in WW1, or a lull in the action in the North African desert, a pot of tea was made. A spot of civilization in the midst of insane chaos.

I can only wonder if thats why the Brits and Canadians are so polite?o_O

I can't speak for the Canadians, I dare say they're just nice people, but with nearly 70,000 [Edit - Errr...That should be 70,000,000] people living on this tiny island, you HAVE to be polite! :D ;)

Back in the olden days, when all the factories were running in Sheffield, the apprentice would be responsible for 'mashing' the tea for 'breakfast' (actually, a second breakfast, or forenoon-drinkin'), and in the days of rationing, each man would bring in a twist of newspaper containing loose tea, sugar, and and a smear of condensed milk. The apprentice would boil a large pot of water, and drop in the small parcels (the 'mashings'). He was also responsible for making toast, or cooking whatever small snack the men may have brought in with them, to tide them over to their dinner, at midday :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back