"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

As a city kid, driving is truly a necessity in the purest sense of the word. I only need to drive very rarely as public transportation will serve for most case. Like the rendezvous, there is no better alternative, in which case I must drive. Believe me, if I could fly there, or take a bus, or a train, that would be the option id go for. I had lived at a friends house on long island for a few months and it was shocking when I asked my friend where the store was. For example, in Bensonhurst, there are 4 to 5 deli options in a 2 block radius.
We could probably live in our neighborhood without a car. We can walk to markets and restaurants. The bus service here is really good also. But scattered Grandchildren, and hauling my artist wife's work around has got our habits ingrained!!

Sounds like a family car is not that central to your lifestyle, Jack!! I've had one or more cars since I was 16!! And I'm 78!!! I'd be lost without one!!!

ironically its just me. My brother is the more adventurous one. He pushed to get his learner's permit as soon as age permitted it. He was driving the acura to go out and all sorts of things! Meanwhile, we felt it was important I get my license before going to college. Not that I was keen on driving until I had to do rotations at the hospitals.

ironically its just me. My brother is the more adventurous one. He pushed to get his learner's permit as soon as age permitted it. He was driving the acura to go out and all sorts of things! Meanwhile, we felt it was important I get my license before going to college. Not that I was keen on driving until I had to do rotations at the hospitals.
A job creates the necessity, but at least then you can afford it!!

Our neighbor has her elderly mother living with her, and she likes to put out bowls of milk for a few stray cats that have taken up residence in our neighborhood. Son of a gun if she didn't attract two raccoons also. They wait at her side door for a handout, looking into their kitchen through a sliding door. Cats and racoons sitting on this porch together! Who would think?
Makes me crazy, as their next stop is my bird feeders. I sit on my deck with my pellet gun and wait for them, when I have the time and patience. They are pretty smart. I love to see them jump! :D I hope they take the hint. I'm tempted to kill them but I've got a married couple a few doors down who are both County Sherrifs. Maybe I should invite them over for some target practice?
I told you! Pictures or it didn't happen!
pVYVoWL.jpg

I vaguely remember having a coonskin cap. The Davy Crockett Disney series drove that craze. Fess Parker.
I worked with a guy years ago whose summer job was at Disneyland. He was Davey Crocket. On hot days his costume was a furnace. Said he lost five pounds of water weight wearing that Coon skin hat and leather pants and top daily. Still he said that it was one of the best jobs he’d ever had. As the song goes, “Born on a mountain top in Tennessee greenest state in the land of the free raised in the woods so he knew ever tree kilt him a bear when only three“. 😜

My local neighborhood forum has somebody wanting to get rid of woodchucks. Of course us Disney hippie flower children are talking about relocating them. There isn't a location in the world that would welcome a woodchuck. Just grow up and kill them.

My cousin the trapper used to send his muskrat carcasses down south, but he wouldn't tell us where. We all were probably eating them in something. Maybe still are. I haven't seen him in a couple years.

Diggin' the sun and the rain, and the bright sunshine.

Sorry to hear about your mom. It's not an easy thing to watch.
Our neighbor has her elderly mother living with her, and she likes to put out bowls of milk for a few stray cats that have taken up residence in our neighborhood. Son of a gun if she didn't attract two raccoons also. They wait at her side door for a handout, looking into their kitchen through a sliding door. Cats and racoons sitting on this porch together! Who would think?
Makes me crazy, as their next stop is my bird feeders. I sit on my deck with my pellet gun and wait for them, when I have the time and patience. They are pretty smart. I love to see them jump! :D I hope they take the hint. I'm tempted to kill them but I've got a married couple a few doors down who are both County Sherrifs. Maybe I should invite them over for some target practice?
The coons have been raiding our back shed where we keep the chicken food, and storage junk. Enough was enough and I've been disposing of them. Up to 14 so far this spring. I don't mind when they live in the woods and wander through the area in the dark of night, but when they start causing destruction it's time for me to defend the homestead.

Nobody coon hunts around here anymore, or really even have trained coonhounds. There is no market for the fur, and it's a lot of time and effort to keep the dogs up on their skills.

I told you! Pictures or it didn't happen!
pVYVoWL.jpg

We were playing cards at T-Bone's house one hot summer night, when out on the deck, we saw a coon and T-Bone's cat, Dunbar, sharing a bowl of cat food. The coon would pick a piece up in his little hands and back up. Dunbar would then move forward and eat until the coon was ready for another piece, then would back up and let the coon in. They traded off several times with no big fuss 🦝😺

We were playing cards at T-Bone's house one hot summer night, when out on the deck, we saw a coon and T-Bone's cat, Dunbar, sharing a bowl of cat food. The coon would pick a piece up in his little hands and back up. Dunbar would then move forward and eat until the coon was ready for another piece, then would back up and let the coon in. They traded off several times with no big fuss 🦝😺
I haven't seen that happen yet, but they don't seem to be bothered by each others presence.

It's so dry around here I need to mask against the dust.
I think the Grayling fire is out. (middle phalange of the rudeness finger of the Michigan mitten.)
Really dry here too. We're supposed to get a little rain over the next few days.

Back