"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

You asked for it.
Wonderful!
Once I found myself entirely by accident leading a Memorial Day Parade.
I was riding an antique motorcycle attempting to visit my MIL when I came upon a closed road. Not knowing an alternate route I spotted a path the motorcycle could negotiate and bypassed the barricade.
The path paralleled the road for a short distance then turned eventually connecting with a different street. Wanting to get back on pavement I took it and found the street lined with waving, smiling people. Hearing music behind me I looked in the mirrors and realized I had unintentionally upstage a parade by about 50 yards.
The road was closed the bike had historic plates so the crowd may have assumed it was the legitimate beginning of their celebration.
Riding at a walking pace for a couple blocks I wished I had some candy to throw to the children. I waved and smiled at the cheering crowd until finally turning off the parade route and had an enjoyable visit with my MIL. :)

Grand Marshal redsparrow
Good stuff right there. 😁

9939761A-A636-460C-87E4-0A1F23ED11F2_1_201_a.jpeg

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
My plastic CS sheath and my Marttiini stainless lynx lumberjack are out for delivery.
It wasn't easy to find that sheath; I hope Cold Steel isn't a few marbles shy of a poke.
My Knives of France shipment still says it's arriving today, but ten hours ago it was two states west of here. Mission, Highly Improbable. (I wonder how a shrink-ray diminishes the weight of an object as well as its size.)

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
My plastic CS sheath and my Marttiini stainless lynx lumberjack are out for delivery.
It wasn't easy to find that sheath; I hope Cold Steel isn't a few marbles shy of a poke.
My Knives of France shipment still says it's arriving today, but ten hours ago it was two states west of here. Mission, Highly Improbable. (I wonder how a shrink-ray diminishes the weight of an object as well as its size.)
Sounds like you've been on a spree Jer! :D :thumbsup:

I caught this funny-looking cat drinking out of the little pond on my folks’ patio:

31659Ss.jpg

I expected it to flee when I opened the door, but instead it approached me as if expecting a handout:

roGbQI7.jpg

It didn’t appear rabid - hopefully my mother hasn’t been feeding it. She has dementia, and has been known to feed deer slices of bread from her hand…

I caught this funny-looking cat drinking out of the little pond on my folks’ patio:

31659Ss.jpg

I expected it to flee when I opened the door, but instead it approached me as if expecting a handout:

roGbQI7.jpg

It didn’t appear rabid - hopefully my mother hasn’t been feeding it. She has dementia, and has been known to feed deer slices of bread from her hand…
JT I know what you’re going through. My Mom succumbed to the scourge of dementia 12 years ago. It was tough. My thoughts and prayers are with you. 🙏

JT I know what you’re going through. My Mom succumbed to the scourge of dementia 12 years ago. It was tough. My thoughts and prayers are with you. 🙏
Thanks. I’m sorry you had to go through that.

We are managing to keep my parents in their own home for now, but I don’t know how much longer that will be feasible, even with the help we have brought in. I feel like we are just one illness, slip-and-fall, or wandering-off from having to put them in an institution.

Thanks. I’m sorry you had to go through that.

We are managing to keep my parents in their own home for now, but I don’t know how much longer that will be feasible, even with the help we have brought in. I feel like we are just one illness, slip-and-fall, or wandering-off from having to put them in an institution.
Fortunately my mom had enough savings so that my brother and I were able to provide 24-7 care for her last six months. After she passed the estate lawyer asked why we didn’t put her in hospice care to save some money and we told him it was HER money and what she wanted. We were fortunate.

Last edited:

31659Ss.jpg

roGbQI7.jpg

I think all the responsible authorities would say to kill it, eat it, and make a hat.

Last edited:

31659Ss.jpg

roGbQI7.jpg

Sorry to hear about your mom. It's not an easy thing to watch.
Our neighbor has her elderly mother living with her, and she likes to put out bowls of milk for a few stray cats that have taken up residence in our neighborhood. Son of a gun if she didn't attract two raccoons also. They wait at her side door for a handout, looking into their kitchen through a sliding door. Cats and racoons sitting on this porch together! Who would think?
Makes me crazy, as their next stop is my bird feeders. I sit on my deck with my pellet gun and wait for them, when I have the time and patience. They are pretty smart. I love to see them jump! :D I hope they take the hint. I'm tempted to kill them but I've got a married couple a few doors down who are both County Sherrifs. Maybe I should invite them over for some target practice?
I think all the responsible authorities would say to kill it, eat it, and make a hat.
I had a coonskin cap with the tail and all when I was a kid. It was the real thing!
That's a Trash Panda. If you feed it, it'll bring it's friends, and you'll never get rid of them.
You got that right!

yes bring back the ones where you have to turn the key in the ignition, i dont like the push to start cars
Talk about push to start! Years ago I had a '63 VW bug, and until I had the money to get it fixed I'd have to get a push, or make sure I could roll downhill and pop the clutch! Oh those were the days! 😂

Talk about push to start! Years ago I had a '63 VW bug, and until I had the money to get it fixed I'd have to get a push, or make sure I could roll downhill and pop the clutch! Oh those were the days! 😂

that is highly reminiscent of the end of the first family car 🤣. We didnt have much when we got here but after a few years we managed to scrape together $900, enough to buy an old manual buick from an uncle who worked in a repair garage. He would give us a discount on the work when it had problems, but towards the end of the 90s, the car had to be on its last legs. After one evening out to dinner, we had to help push it off to the side cause it finally died. My uncle had looked at it and told us the repair would cost more than my dad initially paid for the car. This leads into the purchase of the next family car, and only car I willingly drive currently, but not since last years rendezvous' misadventure.

I remember doing that.

Sounds like a family car is not that central to your lifestyle, Jack!! I've had one or more cars since I was 16!! And I'm 78!!! I'd be lost without one!!!

As a city kid, driving is truly a necessity in the purest sense of the word. I only need to drive very rarely as public transportation will serve for most case. Like the rendezvous, there is no better alternative, in which case I must drive. Believe me, if I could fly there, or take a bus, or a train, that would be the option id go for. I had lived at a friends house on long island for a few months and it was shocking when I asked my friend where the store was. For example, in Bensonhurst, there are 4 to 5 deli options in a 2 block radius.

Back