"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Got ya there GT...if you know its aimed at you ..you can't be a moron.
Are you sure, Meako? You're denying me my fondest dream! Everything I know, I learned from Blazing Saddles and this description seems to fit me:
You’ve got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know… morons.

- GT

I used to operate an old 1950's allis chalmers tractor on a farm. Much preferred to park on hill and pop clutch to hand crank.
My Dad had an old Farmall F12(F20?) that we rarely used that had to be hand cranked. My two brothers and I used to try to start it just for fun, but I don't think any of the 3 of us ever started it. I think Dad got rid of that tractor before we boys made it to high school.

- GT

althoughhh...maybe if
(Warning :you are now entering Meakos brainworld) GEC launched an ad campaign along those lines...customers and flippers alike would be turned off , the knives would pile up at the warehouse and we could get them AT BARGAIN BASEMENT PRICEZZZ.! ( shouting and so fast it becomes an annoying sound blur)
THISPRIMITIVEBONECANOEKNIFEWAS89DOLLARSNOWONLY49.99.
ALLSTOCKMUSTGO....
etc
I can dream can't I?
TIDIOUTEBUYONEGET
ONEFREESALESTARTS MONDAYFOR ALIMITED TIMEONLY*

*until the beginning of the next crazee discount sale.T&Cs apply.

They’d have to start selling ‘em in bulk on Cutlery Corner. *yelling at the camera in a thick southern accent* “Now what we got here is the G - E - C Eagle Talon. We’ve never offered these at this price. Yer gonna get six of these bad boys for only two payments of $29.99!”

Just in case anyone has never had the pleasure of having these guys yell at you about cheap knives at 2 in the morning:

(If you don’t watch the whole thing, at least go to around 3:20 when they start throwing in the “good stuff.”) 😳🤣

Thank goodness the Ford Motor Co. has decided to keep A.M. radios in their vehicles!!!
I listen to A.M. all the time, and have driven Fords for 40 years!!! 😲
(I am not aiming to argue which Auto company is better!! Drive your Chevy if you must!!):cool:
I didn't realize anyone was dropping AM radio. I'm a bit younger, but I still listen to AM pretty regularly (there's an AM comedy channel that broadcasts in my neck of the woods). A lot of my driving time is in the back country, so AM is usually more reliable.

I didn't realize anyone was dropping AM radio. I'm a bit younger, but I still listen to AM pretty regularly (there's an AM comedy channel that broadcasts in my neck of the woods). A lot of my driving time is in the back country, so AM is usually more reliable.
Subscription satellite streaming gives lots of entertainment options, but there's no substitute for local station weather reports, especially in a car, and especially around here where flash flood warnings are common this time of year.

I listen to FM most of the time. I only recently realized that my radio gets some HD channels too, so there are even more choices. (BBC World News on the local public station's HD2 is a good one)

Hey everyone. I'm at a stalemate. Spent too much time trying to make a decision.

Friedrich Herder, Au Sabot or Arthur Wright.

Someone please choose one and end this madness. I'll probably end up with all three knives eventually but can only select one now.

Please and thank you! I'll go with the first response.

Many thanks, Peregrin!

Birthday knife inbound from California shortly as it is the only place in the states where I could find a small selection of Au Sabot for sale.

I hope it's a good one
Violetwood pradel. I've been eyeing it up for a couple months ..

I saw the Herder Wharncliffe(ish) knife on the same site but also love the looks of the wright knives... All have similar build to my eye and nice wood covers .. hard to decide lol.

Thanks!
Birthday is a few weeks off, just wanted to order it ahead of time while I have a few bucks around. Did a ton of side jobs this week and figured now was the time.

Today, I'll be mowing & trimming the yard to get ready for the event of the season.....Our little village's 131st annual Memorial Day parade on Saturday. There were only three years that our village didn't have the parade. Two years during WWII, and in 2020 during the covid pandemic.:( The village currently only has about 30 residents, but was once a thriving community until August 1941, when a fire destroyed the entire town except for our house, three others, and a church. All of the buildings that survived had new metal roofs. Back then, most houses in this area had cedar shake shingles, and the fire spread by jumping from roof to roof. Two general stores, two churches, a feed mill, tanning barn, and many homes; all gone in a day.

Anyway, our little village was the only place in the county that held a Decoration Day/ Memorial Day parade, so all the high school bands, veterans groups, county volunteer fire companies, etc from miles around came here every year, and the tradition continues. People who marched in the parade as kids return with their grandkids & great grandkids. Our 150+ year old house is located in "centre city", so the parade passes right past our front porch, and we get a pretty good crowd. There's a family of bald eagles that have a nest somewhere along the creek, and last year one of them did a flyover during the parade. If there hadn't been a couple hundred other witnesses, I never would've believed it. One of the original churches is still in operation, and they have a pavilion, and band stand next to the old grave yard. There's usually a couple really bad bands, plenty of food, and a baked goods sale.

Around 4 or 5 PM all the visitors disappear, and we get back to normal boring lives.

What a great tradition! Have a great day! Post some pics! :D ;)
You asked for it. Start time was 1300, by 1400 the 21 gun salute & taps was finished in the cemetery & everybody was standing around eating & talking.
The parade route
20230527_131432-XL.jpg
Honor guard
20230527_131927-XL.jpg
Junior HS Band
20230527_132513-L.jpg
USS Forrestal
20230527_132229-L.jpg
I forget what this was, but the kids put alot of work into it
20230527_132344-L.jpg
Gunny & Mia watching the parade from the porch
20230527_131459-X2.jpgi-nHqRzmK-M.jpg

You asked for it. Start time was 1300, by 1400 the 21 gun salute & taps was finished in the cemetery & everybody was standing around eating & talking.
The parade route
View attachment 2199745
Honor guard
View attachment 2199746
Junior HS Band
View attachment 2199747
USS Forrestal
View attachment 2199748
View attachment 2199750
View attachment 2199751View attachment 2199752
Awesome! Small town America, I remember it well. Thanks!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Once I found myself entirely by accident leading a Memorial Day Parade.
I was riding an antique motorcycle attempting to visit my MIL when I came upon a closed road. Not knowing an alternate route I spotted a path the motorcycle could negotiate and bypassed the barricade.
The path paralleled the road for a short distance then turned eventually connecting with a different street. Wanting to get back on pavement I took it and found the street lined with waving, smiling people. Hearing music behind me I looked in the mirrors and realized I had unintentionally upstage a parade by about 50 yards.
The road was closed the bike had historic plates so the crowd may have assumed it was the legitimate beginning of their celebration.
Riding at a walking pace for a couple blocks I wished I had some candy to throw to the children. I waved and smiled at the cheering crowd until finally turning off the parade route and had an enjoyable visit with my MIL. :)

Grand Marshal redsparrow

Last edited:
The parade route
View attachment 2199745
Honor guard
View attachment 2199746
Junior HS Band
View attachment 2199747
USS Forrestal
View attachment 2199748
View attachment 2199750
View attachment 2199751View attachment 2199752
Very enjoyable post and photos; thanks! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Once I found myself entirely by accident leading a Memorial Day Parade.
I was riding an antique motorcycle attempting to visit my MIL when I came upon a closed road. Not knowing an alternative route I saw a path the motorcycle could negotiate and bypassed the barricade.
The path paralleled the road for a short distance then turned eventually connecting with a different street. Wanting to get back on pavement I took it and found the street lined with waving, smiling people. Hearing music behind me I looked in the mirrors and realized I had unintentionally upstage a parade by about 50 yards.
The road was closed the bike had historic plates so the crowd may have assumed it was the legitimate beginning of their celebration.
Riding at a walking pace for a couple blocks I wished I had some candy to throw to the children. I waved and smiled at the cheering crowd until finally turning off the parade route and having an enjoyable visit with my MIL. :)

Grand Marshal redsparrow
Hilarious story, Grand Marshal! 😁🤓:thumbsup:

I hope everyone has a meaningful and enjoyable holiday!

- GT

Awesome! Small town America, I remember it well. Thanks!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Thanks. The pics aren't the best, and I missed alot of stuff. I was kind of busy, because we had a whole front porch full of friends, and I spent alot of time with an elderly lady, who grew up in our house before she moved away many years ago. She's 96 & I gave her a tour of the house, and she gave me some history of the neighborhood, and people who lived in the area. Then a 40-something year old daughter of a previous owner came up & introduced herself. We only bought the house 25 years ago, so we're still new by local standards.:)

On a chilly autumn afternoon, decided to listen to music. I am a Mark Knopfler fan, anyway I thought this song is so approriate for the BF folk. I know there are plenty of talented musicians & it's just a good yarn.
Just thought I would share.

On a chilly autumn afternoon, decided to listen to music. I am a Mark Knopfler fan, anyway I thought this song is so approriate for the BF folk. I know there are plenty of talented musicians & it's just a good yarn.
Just thought I would share.
I saw Dire Straits, for free, in early 1979, in the Students Union in Sheffield. I remember one or two folks remarking they weren't bad! :D :thumbsup:

Back