"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Complete change of subject but I am just coming off a particularly exhausting on-call week for my employer and finally had a chance to run out for some critical supplies (*cough* bourbon) and I am just starting to feel like myself again rather than an enslaved corporate drone. To those of you who made it to retirement and don't have to deal with that - my congratulations, brothers and sisters. I hope to join you in the bliss of self-determination some day.

Knife-wise, I used a Case 6347 Stockman to help with those pesky foil and wax seals they seem to think are reasonable for whiskey bottles.

Yes, it is too early in the day for a drink. No, I don't care. I was at 40 hours by noon on Thursday after a 62-hour week last week.
Back in my drinking days, I was at my camp and couldn't find a corkscrew anywhere so I decided that a claw hammer would do the trick... LoL :D

DRUNK.JPG

P.S. I don't miss the drinking days ;)

couldn't find a corkscrew anywhere
Coffee filters do a great job of dealing with broken glass in your wine. Sometimes with those types of corkscrews that you have to lever against the bottle opening, the mouth of the bottle breaks or chips. Had that happen once on vacation with the wife, and the paper filters saved that evening's plans of wine by the fireplace at a little mountain inn where there was no room service and it was a pretty good drive back to the nearest town.

Coffee filters do a great job of dealing with broken glass in your wine. Sometimes with those types of corkscrews that you have to lever against the bottle opening, the mouth of the bottle breaks or chips. Had that happen once on vacation with the wife, and the paper filters saved that evening's plans of wine by the fireplace at a little mountain inn where there was no room service and it was a pretty good drive back to the nearest town.

Can anyone remember the name of the Western, where passing a broken bottle of whisky, the tough guy cowboy tells his amigo, something like, "Just strain it through yer teeth"?! :D :thumbsup:

Can anyone remember the name of the Western, where passing a broken bottle of whisky, the tough guy cowboy tells his amigo, something like, "Just strain it through yer teeth"?! :D :thumbsup:

I have no idea, and I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen that movie, but it took about half a second after reading your post to have a strong mental image of Clint Eastwood hunched over a drink at a bar and sneering out that phrase through clenched teeth.

I have no idea, and I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen that movie, but it took about half a second after reading your post to have a strong mental image of Clint Eastwood hunched over a drink at a bar and sneering out that phrase through clenched teeth.

I think it might have been before Clint's time Greg, it was a film I saw as a kid, and apart from that line I don't remember anything about it! :rolleyes: I think the guy who said it might have smashed the top off the bottle of whisky first! :D :thumbsup:

True that. One of the greatest ever to play the game.

My father in law worked for Ty for a while, he liked him. I met him many times when I was a kid. Most all of the stories told by the sports media of the day were not even close to being the truth. He was a very generous man after his baseball career.

My father in law worked for Ty for a while, he liked him. I met him many times when I was a kid. Most all of the stories told by the sports media of the day were not even close to being the truth. He was a very generous man after his baseball career.
I completely agree. He was a victim of the press. Things haven't changed much.

I think maybe the most amazing statistic of Ty Cobb's is his strike outs: only 680 times in 24 seasons, or 28 times a year. There are players now who strike out over 200 times in a single season.

I think maybe the most amazing statistic of Ty Cobb's is his strike outs: only 680 times in 24 seasons, or 28 times a year. There are players now who strike out over 200 times in a single season.
He had a great strikeout rate, but there are over 200 players with a better strikout record. Only Pete Rose has more hits. Personally, I find his hit record astounding.

I have thinned out the knife herd A LOT. It's almost as addicting to sell knives as it is to buy them. I've got my knives down to about 6 "collectors" and 6 "users". It actually feels kinda good to be a little more minimalist.
I did that once and then went on a buying spree and now I need to sell again and then.......and then.....And so it goes.

Back