"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    @meako Got any pix to back up that assertion....?;)

2. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Nice shots and interesting to see how the N.American Goldfinch is different from the European.

Finches and Buntings are pretty little birds, lively and good songsters many of them. Was lucky enough to have a pair of Hawfinches at the table some springs ago, MASSIVE beaks and burly, they make the common Bullfinch-itself sturdy-look tiny. Hawfinches ae seldom seen, a shy one who likes the tree tops.

Our Goldfinches love thistledown, you can see them at this time of year perched atop the dead thistles gorging. Well, not always, a local farmer is one of those idiots on a tractor who can do a lot of damage. He has an annoying habit of cutting and mowing everything on the verges of unmade tracks, clover,lupins,loosestrife,camomile all great for birds and insects. I asked him to leave it alone till the start of winter, he seemed surprised, thought it made the place look cleaner and tidier he said...uh uh! He seems to have taken the hint though, think he's just bored and likes cutting stuff:D:(:eek:

veitsi_poika likes this.
  3. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015

Jack Black likes this.
  4. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I heard a radio program showing that little birds do sing differently following the country they live in. They definitely have an accent! :)

ps hawfinch = Gros bec in French (Big Beak) :)

dc50, Will Power and Jack Black like this.
  5. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    If only I had YouTube back then! :D

Jolipapa likes this.
  6. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    I've been an amateur bird-watcher my whole life and try to take pictures whenever I see something interesting :) The Goldfinch pics I took with my phone camera through some binoculars again LoL :D I've counted close to 100 different species of birds in my back yard since I got my house 3 years ago. Below is a House Finch that has a "grosbeak" style snout :)

upload_2018-8-15_7-23-57.png

And an Indigo Bunting I see once a couple times a year just passing through...

upload_2018-8-15_7-26-37.png

And a Rose Breasted Grosbeak :thumbsup:

upload_2018-8-15_7-33-18.png

upload_2018-8-15_7-33-38.png

7. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    Was it "Pink Jungle" (1968) starring James Garner, George Kennedy and Eva Renzi? There is a scene in there where George Kennedy hands a broken bottle of whiskey to her and she says "It's full of broken glass" to which George Kennedy replies "Well, strain it through your teeth. Are you a dude or somethin' ?" LoL. I think that movie was only known for that quote and the rest of the movie was a bit forgettable ;)

Prester John and Henry Beige like this.
  8. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    George Kennedy was the greatest. Garner too.

veitsi_poika and JohnDF like this.
  9. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Garner made some of my favorites.

10. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Could be Kevin! :) Thanks for that my friend, I'll go and check out the film again :) :D :thumbsup:

11. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    My big sister loved his smile.
    I thought he was very cool.
    George Kennedy had an ability to switch between heavy and hero without getting trapped as either.
    Eva Renzi, be still my heart.

JohnDF and veitsi_poika like this.
  12. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    I watch James Garner in "Maverick" every Saturday morning at 9:00 AM right after "Have Gun Will Travel" (Paladin). :):thumbsup: Garner was a little before my time so it is a treat to watch him in the old westerns... when I was a kid he was starring in "Rockford Files"; I've been searching for a place online to watch that whole series.

13. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Support Your Local Sheriff/Gunfighter were childhood favorites.

14. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Pink Jungle?
    You sure that was a Western?
    As a matter of fact....
    Yes.
    If you look up Time Gentlemen Please
    A British sitcom about a pub landlord...
    There was a scene start g the beautiful and immensely talented actress Julia Sawahla .
    As the Aussie barmaid.....unfortunately the actual scene is not on tube so you might have to watch the whole lot....not to worry...it's hilarious and go es an accurate representation of the English and their pubs...despite what JB and Donn would have us believe :p:D

zolthar, Jolipapa and Prester John like this.
  15. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    I am enjoying this book immensely! Thank you Jerry for recommending it. It is a keeper! :D

JB in SC likes this.
  16. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    btb01, Fodderwing, meako and 2 others like this.
  17. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks for the recommendation, Dwight. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    As a kid devoted to the Detroit Tigers, I read Cobb's "autobiography" (ghost-written by Al Stump) and had a new hero. I even tried to play ball the way he did. I later read Stump's magazine piece and much later biography that painted a picture of Cobb as a horrible human being. I imagine the truth is somewhere in between the two.

- GT

Prester John likes this.
  18. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Gt Stump is discussed at length in the book. I think Leerhsen's work will be a revelation as it was to me. Although I had already found many things about Cobb that were incongruous with collective sentiment. It's a good read.

19. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001
    @meako Julia Sawahia's portrayal of Dorcas Lane in Lark Rise to Candleford was quite good as well, my wife thoroughly enjoyed the series.

20. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX

Apr 8, 2018
    I’m currently reading The Man Who Knew Too Much by GK Chesterton (written in 1922), and came across the following passage, and thought some here might find it entertaining:

The contents of the boy's pockets naturally made a larger heap, and included marbles, a ball of string, an electric torch, a magnet, a small catapult, and, of course, a large pocketknife, almost to be described as a small tool box, a complex apparatus on which he seemed disposed to linger, pointing out that it included a pair of nippers, a tool for punching holes in wood, and, above all, an instrument for taking stones out of a horse's hoof. The comparative absence of any horse he appeared to regard as irrelevant, as if it were a mere appendage easily supplied.