Case Copperheads- pics and experience wanted

EZ 49 from 2000...
pYsD9If.jpg
Now THAT'S a copperhead I've drooled over many a time!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
I try to be a law-abiding citizen, but that knife makes me consider breaking into Case's Vault if they have a bunch of those in there! :eek::rolleyes::D

- GT

While the copperhead bolster seems like a good idea as a half-guard, it really only comes into practice as such on a single blade knife. Since the 4" size is near perfect as an all-rounder, I'd like to see Case put their Zulu spear blade in one. Would be a great utility knife for hard work.

While the copperhead bolster seems like a good idea as a half-guard, it really only comes into practice as such on a single blade knife. Since the 4" size is near perfect as an all-rounder, I'd like to see Case put their Zulu spear blade in one. Would be a great utility knife for hard work.

I always believed the bolster was more to make a "sunk joint" and prevent pokey tang ends from gouging stuff or your pocket.

I see now the frame is slightly wider and the bolster is a bit longer, presumably to allow room for locking bar. I just was thinking from a manufacturing point of view it would good to have some commonality with each other. Those are beautiful examples btw, thanks for posting them.

Thanks! The copperlock (549 pattern) started out as an effort to make a locking version of the trapper (54), and then the copperhead (49) bolster was added to cover the exposed tang. That's how they came up with the pattern number (54 + 49 = 549). Somewhere on BF there is a post crediting Case historian Shirley Boser for this information.

That's a promising picture! Wharncliffe main? Looks like it's a mark-side secondary versus this latest incarnation. What year is that beauty?

Thanks! Both are Wharncliffes, the copperlock is 2017 and the copperhead is 2001. See post #4 for a picture with the blades open. It's confusing -- it seems what should be the secondary (pen) is configured as the main, including the Case XX and date tang stamps.

Looks like a certain dealer already has them up on their site. I’ve been eye balling them and then going over to my case collection and wondering how much I like the odds of sending it back.

Looks like a certain dealer already has them up on their site. I’ve been eye balling them and then going over to my case collection and wondering how much I like the odds of sending it back.

Order placed thanks for the heads up

Hopefully a dealer who ships to Canada will start stocking them soon.

,,,Mike in Canada

I placed an order a couple of days ago with that dealer and it hasn’t shipped yet. I emailed yesterday to see if they had them in inventory yet or were waiting on them from Case but I haven’t heard back yet.

Well that sucks if they didn't even have them in stock but claim to. Someone is getting a phone call tomorrow.

Yeah, that move does not impress me. I’ve seen another dealer do it and I hated it.

It looks like I was impatient. I just got the shipping email this morning.
I did the exact same thing you did. Placed order. Received email from Case with the March date. Emailed the vendor to inquire and hadn't received a response yet. Got a shipping notice today.
Does make one wonder why they have the product 6 weeks before Case says it will be available o_O

Back