Case Seahorse

Gary,

I haven't been following this thread but I just watched your video. I see that you have a habit of wiping your fingerprints off of the blades each time you open them. I do the same thing. It's force of habit and I've done it as long as I can remember. It doesn't really get rid of the fingerprint. Just kind of smears it out but it's something that I can't help doing.

Good to know that I'm not the only one. :)

Haha indeed I do, nervous habit I'm sure, when I go to take photos I've gotten to where I use a micro fiber cloth to clear up any fingerprints, as best I can, you'll still see some prints now and then.

Let me tell you though, doing a video like that is inherently dangerous! Watching the camera you lose track of where that sharp point and edge are, you can see how gingerly I go to closing the blades, a bit scary for me :)
G2

While I've not whittled with this yet, I do that a lot during the summer with branches, just small faces in wood, but I've use the smaller blades probably the most, with the long handle and small blade, you have pretty nice control in cutting. Box openings, some cutting of labels, trimming off the ragged thread here and there, even some cardboard when needed. All in all it's very handy and in easy reach, so that also makes it faster to put it to work.

G2

Well, an update to the thread, I've sold off both Seahorses, the Fancy one as well as the diamond shield one, for different reasons, one being TOO fancy for the likes of me ;) and the other well it just happened and I do miss that one.

And so this update comes with a request too, I'm on the search for a different seahorse, not a seahorse of another colour, but different. While I'd love a stag one, I do NOT trust Case's stag method of scales, way too thick in the middle, crazy fat stag for some reason, sure wish they'd get that sorted out. But I've been looking at the G10 handled ones as well as the green bone one that has engraving on the bone, that looks very interesting and I would think provide some better grip texture? If anyone has either of these, a photo or preferably a video would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and to those that have my Seahorses, be sure to feed them at least once aday and keep their stalls clean :)

G2

I'd be interested in seeing pics of the G10 handles ones as well if anyone can post up a pic . I didn't realize that they made them .

Ken

My attention is leaning towards the G10 model :)
G2

Well, an update to the thread, I've sold off both Seahorses, the Fancy one as well as the diamond shield one, for different reasons, one being TOO fancy for the likes of me ;) and the other well it just happened and I do miss that one.

And so this update comes with a request too, I'm on the search for a different seahorse, not a seahorse of another colour, but different. While I'd love a stag one, I do NOT trust Case's stag method of scales, way too thick in the middle, crazy fat stag for some reason, sure wish they'd get that sorted out. But I've been looking at the G10 handled ones as well as the green bone one that has engraving on the bone, that looks very interesting and I would think provide some better grip texture? If anyone has either of these, a photo or preferably a video would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and to those that have my Seahorses, be sure to feed them at least once aday and keep their stalls clean :)

G2

Gary, Iwill take good care of the one I have. I agree it is abit fancy but will get used occasionally.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I enjoyed that box almost as much as the knife! Case really outdid themselves that year!

And, I've gone ahead and ordered a G10 version of the Seahorse, hope to have it by weeks end :)

G2

Thanks Mark, I enjoyed that box almost as much as the knife! Case really outdid themselves that year!

And, I've gone ahead and ordered a G10 version of the Seahorse, hope to have it by weeks end :)

G2

Gary, I will be interested to hear what you think.

Mark

Well, it arrived, blades' edges were better than the other one, but as I feared, being a G10 handled knife it just not the same, it's really sleek looking but it seems odd to me to have the G10 on a traditional knife and that was a voice haunting my thoughts the whole time I was contemplating the purchase.

So I'll most likely post this one up forsale, all three blades are now VERY sharp, as I spent this afternoon putting on the edge bevels and final sharpening of them. While it's a great model, for me there isn't that warmth we come to expect when we draw out a traditional to use.

So I'll search a bit more for one as I do like the model type, like I say, I do NOT trust side views of Case stag knives ;) so I'll have to see if anyone has one they might part with that isn't silly fat stag.

:(
G2

Edited to add;
The scales were crisp along the edges so I had to take some sand paper and round them off just a little, feels better in the hand now.

IMG_1006.jpg~original

IMG_1003.jpg~original

IMG_1005.jpg~original

Last edited:
It's all a matter of taste of course, but I really like the G-10 on this CASE Slimline Trapper. Could be the Barehead is better for this material though? Shows off the fish/reptile scales effect.

IMG_3145.jpg

Gary, have you thought about a Smooth Bone Seahorse? My Chestnut Smooth is a very fetching knife. I think there's a Sawn Bone one too?

Thanks, Will

Nice Will, and this one is growing on me somewhat, but I'm more into a grippier type scale material so I ordered a jigged bone one for now and this one is all but sold, had to put it in it's box as it was starting to grow on me ;)
G2

So you just bought the Crimson bone, sold it, bought the G10, and now decided you prefer the bone so you are selling the G10?

No, I'm getting a jigged bone scaled one
G2

So you just bought the Crimson bone, sold it, bought the G10, and now decided you prefer the bone so you are selling the G10?

He bought TWO bone (one a collectors edition) and sold both. Then this G10 (which I think looks really nice) - and now he wants stag, but not Case because their stag is too thick and funny shaped. Plus he got a bunch of us to take the plunge for the SeaHorse and take the ride with him, me included!

I love mine so much that I just recently bought her bigger brother!

RR68MR.jpg

:)

Eric

edit: He does NOT want stag!

Keep us posted Gary! This continues to be fun!

hehe, yes, welcome to the horse races ;)

The fancy one was VERY nice but it really is a true collectible and I felt it would need to be treated that way and so I parted with her.

And the other one, second cut bone was also very nice, but there's a back story about it that I won't go into here, but when the Fancy one was bought from me, they asked for a sheath so the one for the second cut bone was a good fit for the Fancy one as it allowed a little more room for the bolsters so they wouldn't be scuffed as much so I had the second cut bone without a sheath and decided to try another Seahorse, as I do love that pattern.

I hemmed and hawed over getting the G10 and finally caved and got it, but all along I felt it wasn't quite right on a traditional...just me of course...and I almost kept it but ended up ordering a JIGGED bone scaled one last night :)

So, as I say, welcome to the race! and Eric, man I'd love to get one of those but I need a taller stack of pennies than I have in order to do so!
G2

And yes, a stag would be exceptional but if I could get GEC to do it ;) they have the best stag I've seen on folders. I'm very tempted by their model #38 but until it's in a stainless, I'm not a buyer :(
G2

Let me know if you have trouble making the contact.

Thanks Frank, he's all set, appreiated the help

Here is a sample photo, borrowed, of what the knife I have inbound should look like;

Case%20Caramel%20Jigged%20Bone.jpg~original

I'll replace that image with one of my own when it arrives, sometime early next week :)

G2

Last edited:
Back