Case Tony Bose Collabs pic and discussion thread.

So these were designed by Tony Bose and build by case correct ? Asking because of the price I was wondering if Mr Bose had anything to do with the building. Love them

They are built by Case with input and design by the late great Mr Bose. Theres a video from SHOT one year where Tony is showing them off and he says the idea was to get people a knife that approaches his quality (he makes it clear its still not quite his quality) for 1/10th the price.

Last edited:
Cross-posted from the traditionals and watches thread.
original.jpg

I previously mentioned how crisp all of the machined edges were on the EJ and LC. I've been handling them once or twice daily when I think about it while wearing a pair of mid-weight smooth leather gloves and rubbing the metal edges. The crispness has been knocked off, the EJ feels wonderful in hand. The LC is almost there, the area that still needs more work is the bottom of the shield - running the thumb up towards the bolster still catches skin, but it's not as grippy as it was.
Gordon, I think that's one thing missed on the collabortations. Case doesn't break the hot edges like Tony did and Reese does. It only takes a minute or two to do it when building the knife. The difference between a master knife maker and a new one is the little touches.

So these were designed by Tony Bose and build by case correct ? Asking because of the price I was wondering if Mr Bose had anything to do with the building. Love them
Tony would build 2 prototypes. One completed and the other completed but not pinned together. Case would take the unpinned knife and pattern it to those specs. All the parts are cut using edm wire which is about as accurate as it gets. As far as the finishing processes. I believe they are hand fitted and finished to a certain degree. Keep in mind there are a few hundred produced for each pattern so its probably more like an assembly line process for the fit and finishing than anything. That said, IMO they are still the cats ass for production pocket knives and are a tremendous value. Are they perfect? No, but they are genius in their materials, build and execution. I'm very interested to see what they do with Bill Ruple in the coming years.

Last edited:
Gordon, I think that's one thing missed on the collabortations. Case doesn't break the hot edges like Tony did and Reese does. It only takes a minute or two to do it when building the knife. The difference between a master knife maker and a new one is the little touches.

I figured as much, and when doing several hundred on a run that adds up to multiple hours of additional work. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well simply handling the knives with a pair of mid-weight leather gloves has improved the feel. I don't believe they're anywhere near the level of a custom Bose, but for the price and overall quality I'm happy. Time will tell on the shield.

Pricier than I wanted to spend, but I'm glad I bought these. I'm really liking them. A lot. They've been in my weekly rotation since they arrived at the hut.
original.jpg

How do you like the lock back Lanny's? Any play in the blade? And does the lock release cleanly?

How do you like the lock back Lanny's? Any play in the blade? And does the lock release cleanly?

I like it, I think I'd like the slip joint version as well. I definitely want to get a Tribal Spear after handling the LC.

I can detect no play in my copy, and the lock release is firm but has an almost cam-like feel to the release, if that makes sense. The walk isn't buttery smooth, but there's no grittiness. To me it feels nice, almost tight, but like it will improve with use over time. Nice satisfying thunky snap at lockup.

I have lockbacks (from Case, Buck, and Boker) where the release is much tougher, one that is difficult, a couple that are easy, some are smooth, some are gritty, a couple have minor blade play before lockup.

I’m thinking about grabbing my fist Case Bose and I’m deciding between a Eureka Jack or a Cattle Knife. Hard decision since I can’t see them in person.
I would go with the Eureka Jack First. While the cattle knife is considered by many to be one of the best of the Bose/Case Collabs, the Eureka Jack is under valued in my opinion. It’s a great knife that you can find considerably cheaper that many other of the Case/Bose collabs including the Cattle Knife. I will warn you that it will get you hooked and you will end up with the cattle knife anyway, as well as many others.

I would go with the Eureka Jack First. While the cattle knife is considered by many to be one of the best of the Bose/Case Collabs, the Eureka Jack is under valued in my opinion. It’s a great knife that you can find considerably cheaper that many other of the Case/Bose collabs including the Cattle Knife. I will warn you that it will get you hooked and you will end up with the cattle knife anyway, as well as many others.
An EJ it is! Got one on the way in brown bone. 😎

Back