Coffee

Is it a pain to get all the grounds out first in the trash? That’s always been my hold off on buying a French press
No. I pour the grounds out through a small sieve, so I don’t dump them down the disposal. I dump them in the trash. I rinse the basket/filter under running water and just give it a hand wipe to knock of any grounds stuck to it.

The B&W Chelbesa hydro washed has turned into a completely different coffee after letting it set for a few days. It’s still under a week off roast. Definitely has potential

I haven't found a huge taste difference with paper vs mesh as long as you rinse the paper first so it absorbs less coffee. I do feel like it's easier to get better results from immersion brewing like a french press or clever dripper than percolation. Cleaning mesh filters isn't hard, just less convenient than paper.

I haven't found a huge taste difference with paper vs mesh as long as you rinse the paper first so it absorbs less coffee. I do feel like it's easier to get better results from immersion brewing like a french press or clever dripper than percolation. Cleaning mesh filters isn't hard, just less convenient than paper.
Normally it’s about a week or so before I get to a new bag. Shipping usually takes that long to me. B&W is in North Carolina so not got to me real quick, plus they’re light roasts. I normally stick to medium and medium/light. I got impatient and went right for it.

As far as percolation vs immersion I completely agree. I could get really good cups from pour over but it was inconsistent. I gave up and realized I just sucked at it and have stuck with clever dripper and Aeropress. I’ve got the fellow Prismo attachment coming for my AP sometime next week, curious to see how it works out

Does a metal filter - mainly French press - create a headache for cleaning up?

No, just an extra step or two depending on your situation. Grinding coarse, such as with a conical burr grinder, is important for consistent extraction and also makes handling the waste easier.

Two things can be handy for clean-up. First is your wooden spoon or stir. (You can use metal with care but wood is recommended for the beaker.) Grinds go in first, then hot water, then stir to break up the mass and circulate it. Then cover for the allotted time and right before pressing, it gets one more stir. After you've poured off the coffee and the grinds have cooled, you can invert the beaker over the trash (with a finger over the rim if it is the kind that can slide out of the holder) and use your wooden stir tool to scrape out the bulk of the wet grinds.

The second thing is an ordinary butter knife, preferably one that is already waiting for a wash. I don't completely disassemble the press every time I use it, just when I feel like a deep clean. So any other time, I run the butter knife between the screen and the metal holder where grinds tend to get stuck. Do this under running water, and then wash with unscented dish soap and a scrubby like anything else. (If you are very worried about grinds going down the drain, do the first part over the beaker and then pour it outside or wherever.) Coffee oils can still accumulate around the screw attachment so every once in a while, depending on frequency of use, it gets taken apart for a full cleaning.

No, just an extra step or two depending on your situation. Grinding coarse, such as with a conical burr grinder, is important for consistent extraction and also makes handling the waste easier.

Two things can be handy for clean-up. First is your wooden spoon or stir. (You can use metal with care but wood is recommended for the beaker.) Grinds go in first, then hot water, then stir to break up the mass and circulate it. Then cover for the allotted time and right before pressing, it gets one more stir. After you've poured off the coffee and the grinds have cooled, you can invert the beaker over the trash (with a finger over the rim if it is the kind that can slide out of the holder) and use your wooden stir tool to scrape out the bulk of the wet grinds.

The second thing is an ordinary butter knife, preferably one that is already waiting for a wash. I don't completely disassemble the press every time I use it, just when I feel like a deep clean. So any other time, I run the butter knife between the screen and the metal holder where grinds tend to get stuck. Do this under running water, and then wash with unscented dish soap and a scrubby like anything else. (If you are very worried about grinds going down the drain, do the first part over the beaker and then pour it outside or wherever.) Coffee oils can still accumulate around the screw attachment so every once in a while, depending on frequency of use, it gets taken apart for a full cleaning.
Gotcha. I’ve gotten lazy and used to just picking up the paper filter and throwing it out, end of clean up. Or popping it out with the Aeropress. I may pick a French press up one day just to give it a shot.

Even with immersion brewing I’ve had better results with a finer grind. Aeropress I usually go finer than pourover and with clever dripper I vary between the two. I’ve got a flat burr electric grinder and a conical hand grinder. I know a lot of people have a preference on burrs but I can’t tell a world of difference between them in filter coffee

Does a metal filter - mainly French press - create a headache for cleaning up?
Depends on the person. I found it a hassle to clean my French press. Other folks maybe not so much.

I now use a Technivorm Moccamaster with a metal filter, and cleaning that is a cinch.

It is well established that paper filters trap a lot of coffee's essential oils. That is flavor. Yes, there is also evidence that Cafestol can increase bad cholestrerol levels. Not a problem for me. Cholesterol is mostly genetics, and I am blessed with good genes for cholesterol. Give me the flavor.

Gotcha. I’ve gotten lazy and used to just picking up the paper filter and throwing it out, end of clean up. Or popping it out with the Aeropress. I may pick a French press up one day just to give it a shot.

Even with immersion brewing I’ve had better results with a finer grind. Aeropress I usually go finer than pourover and with clever dripper I vary between the two. I’ve got a flat burr electric grinder and a conical hand grinder. I know a lot of people have a preference on burrs but I can’t tell a world of difference between them in filter coffee

It's worth it. French press offers a delightful crema of coffee oils on the top of the cup. The burr grinder is mostly about keeping the grind size consistent.

Sure, it's a little bit slower and a little bit more to do, so I don't always do it. Several times a week though, my wife and I enjoy a cup on the porch.

... It is well established that paper filters trap a lot of coffee's essential oils. That is flavor. Yes, there is also evidence that Cafestol can increase bad cholestrerol levels. Not a problem for me. Cholesterol is mostly genetics, and I am blessed with good genes for cholesterol. Give me the flavor.

I think it's funny when people fuss about the extra coffee oil. It really isn't an issue. Like you said, genetics has a lot to do with it. So do all the other things we eat.

I'm a big guy and getting older every year. My doctor always seems surprised that my cholesterol and blood pressure are perfect. The real secret is that I don't eat a lot of artificial nonsense. We cook our own meals. Our fats for cooking are all butter from grass-fed cows and extra virgin olive oil.

With 20% off when signing up for the news letter, it was hard to resist.
And I needed a break from Iron Bean, that You (Monofletch) got me started on.

Yea I think it was $20 or $25. I believe the price has gone up, even Aeropress prices have gone up. It basically lets you do the inverted method without having to invert. No leaking. And it could make a somewhat espresso like shot as well. Don’t think it really lives up to that claim tho
That prismo looks interesting. Hadn't heard of it before and it's surprisingly inexpensive for a Fellow product.

Been drinking the other bag I bought from Black & White roasters this week, the Goraa natural. Definitely a good one. No complaints at all. Brewed it several different ways and always good. If I had to nitpick I get a little astringent/dry taste at the very end of the cup.

Back