Coffee

img_8549-jpg.2099501

My new McNees-modded Spyderco McBee. Iron Bean Halloween 2021 mug I use at work. 😎

Thank you! Only IB mug I've scored on. That said, I have only gone for a select few that I liked the looks of. Was happy to land this one, it fits me.

Does it make me crazy that I'm slightly entertaining the idea of a Bullet roaster? 🤪 :eek: My good buddy got one about a year ago, and he's singing its praises (not quietly either). $3,500 tho... o_O

Does it make me crazy that I'm slightly entertaining the idea of a Bullet roaster? 🤪 :eek: My good buddy got one about a year ago, and he's singing its praises (not quietly either). $3,500 tho... o_O
I'm not entertaining the idea anymore...

I was. I figured it take 6 to 7 years for it to pay for it's self.
It would be fun. But for how long?

I was. I figured it take 6 to 7 years for it to pay for it's self.
It would be fun. But for how long?
My current thought process - I've been home-roasting for almost 20 years now. Doubt that's ever going to change. I currently roast ~3/4# - 1# pound to use at home, and 1# - 1.25# for the office. Basically 2# per week. It usually takes around 90 minutes. With a Bullet, I could do all of that in one roast, 2 at most. Less than 30 minutes most weeks. That's an hour plus of my life I get back, every week. The office pays me a little bit, too. I could pay off the Bullet with just that in less than 10 years (though that won't be a factor in my decision).

Very, VERY tempted after an hour on the phone with my buddy last night. 😬

@ SpyderPhreak SpyderPhreak

Those Bullets look nice. What about the Sandbox Smart Roaster ?
I wish Behmor's Jake Kilo Roaster would come out soon. They sound like they might be affordable.

Too small. If I'm going to upgrade, I want something that can do a pound or more per batch. It's hardly worth it for me otherwise since I can already do ~225g (1/2#) batches. The really cool thing about the Bullet is it is a Kilo (2.2#) capable roaster, with the footprint of many roasters that can't even do one pound at a time. The direct inductive heating of the drum is pretty innovative too!

ETA - The forthcoming Behmor was considered. Yes, it will be much more affordable. But I have seen a couple Behmors in person, and just wasn't at all impressed with the build quality for the money.

My current thought process - I've been home-roasting for almost 20 years now. Doubt that's ever going to change. I currently roast ~3/4# - 1# pound to use at home, and 1# - 1.25# for the office. Basically 2# per week. It usually takes around 90 minutes. With a Bullet, I could do all of that in one roast, 2 at most. Less than 30 minutes most weeks. That's an hour plus of my life I get back, every week. The office pays me a little bit, too. I could pay off the Bullet with just that in less than 10 years (though that won't be a factor in my decision).

Very, VERY tempted after an hour on the phone with my buddy last night. 😬
I'd say upgrading is worth considering if you are spending that much time doing it every week. Kaleido may be another option with decent capacity for less than the Bullet, but I've never really looked into the details. They are also available with Artisan and/or their own software.

I'd say upgrading is worth considering if you are spending that much time doing it every week. Kaleido may be another option with decent capacity for less than the Bullet, but I've never really looked into the details. They are also available with Artisan and/or their own software.
I've spent some time looking at those. Saw them in a search last week, and those gull-wing doors on the sides got my attention. Almost as expensive as the Bullet though, and at that point, I'd lean towards the Bullet.

SpyderPhreak SpyderPhreak ,​

Did we push you over the edge?😉
Now I'm trying to decide if I'm jealous..
I'm leanin' towards yes
No, it was mostly my research and talking with my buddy who has used his for a year now. We're kindred spirits, and I trust his judgement fully. It's a YUGE chunk of money though, and I wouldn't be doing this without a small inheritance I recently came into. If I'm lucky and the UPS tracking is correct, it is supposed to be delivered this weekend!!! :D

SpyderPhreak SpyderPhreak ,​

Any smoke coming out of that Bullet yet?
Unfortunately, no. :poop: Thanks to UPS. 🤬

I ordered my beans last weekend. They shipped Tuesday. The roaster shipped Thursday morning. Somehow everything got stuck in Sparks, NV (just outside of Reno). For DAYS. UPS claims a weather delay. Um, the weather was in the mountains (Sierras), and everything already got past there. 🤷‍♂️ So if it all made it past the worst of the weather, and then the highways eastbound from there are fine, what the heck???

One box of beans made it to Salt Lake this morning. Everything else this evening. Probably won’t have the roaster until Tuesday. 😩 😡 💩 💩 💩

Sucks. Would have been a great day tomorrow to get the drum seasoned and maybe even get my first real batch roasted on it. 😭

Grr. Everything sat in SLC all weekend. No updates since yesterday morning. No clue when all my stuff will be here. Tracking says “A delivery date will be provided as soon as possible”. :rolleyes: That inspires a lot of confidence when I have 4 boxes with over $4k worth of goods that are in limbo. 🤬 :poop:

Back