• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Cold Steel Strider rip-0ff

if ya added up all the posts about LT or mick would probably be closer to 9000 lol.

The drop point and the dagger are old designs, and I would say they were originally ripped off too. Unfortunately, they were ripped off so long ago in the past and the designers have been dead for so long that there's no point in saying much about it. On the other hand, you can walk up to Sal Glesser and shake his hand at a knife show in 2007. In 200 years, if there are thousands of copies of Civilians floating around, then I'll grandfather them into the same category as daggers.

I see, stealing old designs is OK and steeling new ones isn't? I fail to see the logic in that. Sorry, I don't buy it. I think the knife manufacturers need to concern themselves with the value inherent the products they sell rather than on the shape of the blades. Both Spyderco and Cold Steel are successful companies that sell what their customers consider a good value. That, coupled with other reasons, is why they are successful. Bickering over blade shapes leaves me cold, I'm afraid. I think the Civilian and Black Talon will both continue to sell as expected without anybody taking any sales from anybody else. I would bet the same will be true of the paracord wrapped daggers. Perhaps someone will let me know if I'm wrong.

If I am not mistaken, Cold Steel and Spyderco came to an agreement on the use of the patented bladeshape of the Civilian. At least that is what Sal posted awhile back.

A lot of people point to the theft of the Axis/Ultra lock. There is a licensing agreement in place between Benchmade and CS, so CS didn't steal that design. Some point to the opening feature on the AK-47 and the Talwar as a theft of the Emerson Wave. It is no such thing. That opening system is either patented or has a patent pending issued to Andrew Demko, the designer of the AK-47. Besides that, it doesn't in any way resemble the Emerson Wave.

Thanks for that information. You obviously did a better job of defending CS than I did.

I see, stealing old designs is OK and steeling new ones isn't? I fail to see the logic in that. Sorry, I don't buy it.

I'm sorry, I re-read my post and I missed the part where I said that it was OK to steal old designs. I did say that the old designs were stolen so long ago that the original parties are long dead, and there is not much point in speaking out against it.

In case you still have trouble understanding my point, here it is in a nutshell: I think the people who stole the design of the dagger were wrong to do so, but since I cannot communicate with the spirit world I will refrain from haranguing them for it.

In case you still have trouble understanding my point, here it is in a nutshell: I think the people who stole the design of the dagger were wrong to do so, but since I cannot communicate with the spirit world I will refrain from haranguing them for it.

I guess some people simply cannot comprehend. My advice would be not to bother responding to them, though I very much enjoyed the humor of your post, quoted above.:thumbup:

I guess some people simply cannot comprehend. My advice would be not to bother responding to them, though I very much enjoyed the humor of your post, quoted above.:thumbup:
Yes, I'm pretty much done with this topic. It was either let it go, or unleash the almighty Mystical Pyramid Rays™ on him. :D

eye_pyramid.gif

Darn! And here I was hoping we could solicit the assistance of a psychic medium to track down the first unauthorized users of the Arkansas Toothpick and Bowie designs!:grumpy:

;)

kind of late post, but i find it funny , to start with a question about one knife, and to find answers looking through pros and cons for strider, CS, and so on
the gi tanto its a very good knife for the money, and more, (i know you l hate that line),
very strong, very reliable
i dont really care if its a copy or not of some other knives
its good enough , and i can afford it
i mean if another similar knife costs 400 dollars, would that mean its 10 times and more better than this one..? i dont think so...
if you like it you buy it, if not ...
and guys, what cold steel has done for the knife scene in all those years, means a lot for every knife enthusiast, come on
just to mention the push dagger made affordable to anyone...or the swords...
cold steel , among other knife companies, makes a very good job and i hope they will continue it for a long long time
i would not like the world of knives without cold steel, and i ask you, as knife lovers, would you ?

Hmmmm. Welcome to the forums. You could have made your first post something other than resurrecting this thrashed dead horse. Oh well. Look around, read a bit, and try again?

the gi tanto its a very good knife for the money

Can you tell me what it's good for? I have one, and haven't been able to find anything that it is particularly good at doing. It's a decently made knife, especially considering the price, but that's about all I can put in the plus column.

Back