1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRK Slipjoint.....!!!

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by nyefmaker, May 31, 2018.

1. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    34102795_10155693978372901_7990444096206405632_n.jpg

ImpindaUG.jpg

34175282_1801109576616223_1669273296249552896_n.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  2. lemmuhj

lemmuhj Gold Member Gold Member

May 2, 2010
    Thanks Wolfi just noticed...that one has a "decorated" pivot!

3. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Nice spot on the pivot being decorated too! I am not liking the “fancy” versions as much as the regular, but I would change my mind if they did inlays...

4. The_Machine

The_Machine

Jun 8, 2017
    There's actually several nice options these days for "modern slipjoint" with good steels and modern materials. The Benchmade Proper has S30V and the Viper EZ Open is M390 and are two of my favorites.

I like the design of the Impinda but it's not really going to shake the market up.

5. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    Blade lenght on Impinda?

6. ex Vento

ex Vento

May 30, 2008
    3.125"

rexromic likes this.
  7. red mag

red mag

Apr 12, 1999
    Thanks for the post LW!

On my mobile I was under the impression the decorated Damasteel Impinda came in two sizes.
    Now I realize I looked at the reverse side.

8. blanco112

blanco112 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I'm pretty sure in NYC the restriction is 4". And while I sympathize with our friends in the UK, I wouldn't design any knife with that market in mind. As of right now you have to have a "good reason" to even carry and you don't know where they are going with knife laws in the future. In most countries where a locking mechanism is illegal, they do not measure in inches, they use metric (this knife is just under 8cm). But they all have different requirements. 3" is a nice cut off because you can be reasonably sure that in most places you'll be OK as long as it doesn't have a lock, but it's just a rough guideline. The only way to maximize the number jurisdictions would be the make the knife tiny but by then you'd have to consider how many people you'd turnoff by making a tiny little knife.

9. lemmuhj

lemmuhj Gold Member Gold Member

May 2, 2010
    The Damasteel they seem to be using now is incredible!

10. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    The clip is decorated too

blanco112 likes this.
  11. TYPE-R

TYPE-R Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Congratulations to the CRK team and Mr. Harsey on American Knife of the Year.
    I like the design and lines and hope it's very successful.
    Personally, I'd love a Mnandi or smaller size with inlays but that's my taste in slip joints.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the impressions of the knife once they're more available.

12. The_Machine

The_Machine

Jun 8, 2017
    I think it's more the fact that they went with a 3.123” blade. That extra 0.123" isn't going to make much a difference at all in utility compared to a 3" blade. Yet it opens the knife up to the legal issues being discussed.

@NickShabazz has brought this point up in knife reviews in the past. Having a blade that only a hair larger then 3" doesn't make a lot of sense.

--SG-- and bvo85 like this.
  13. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    So not really a knife for me too costly and too plain with that said I have some remarks to what I see of it and what people have said about it.

#1 The mechanism/design of the spring is great it provides a design w/o a half-stop that is as safe as one while keeping what looks to be a good snap in there as well.

#2 Size so this is two fold comment here first to the too big why make a slip joint so big there are plenty of large slip joints just go look at the actual size of a Buck 110 it isn't a small knife second two big or not big enough due to legalities I agree why 3.123" instead of 3" even that would have made for a better size if they weren't going to go for bigger say 3.5"

#3 this opens them to a market that they currently aren't in and one that is in some ways starving so this to me is a welcomed addition it might not be well received at the start but there is potential to bring something new to the slip joint market and potential to bring new blood to the slip joint market.

#4 It doesn't look bad but would in my view look better with a long pull and inlays or some other materials to let it more closely resemble 100 yr old knives but that can be done after this first gets off the ground which I think it has a good chance of doing given the following of CRK alone.

blanco112 likes this.
  14. TYPE-R

TYPE-R Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2017
    The blade length isn't really an issue as most places are under 3.5" to 4". Chicago and the UK are the only ones that come to mind where these would be illegal.

15. blanco112

Nov 1, 2016
    And Chicago is 2.5". I believe Delaware and Rhode Island are two US states I know of where 3" is the cutoff.

TYPE-R likes this.
  16. blanco112

Nov 1, 2016
    @bhyde does it make sense to combine these two threads?

bhyde likes this.
  17. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    This could be just the one model and end there or it could expand out to many sizes, configurations and models. Time, demand and their desire and capacity will tell.
    I welcome new additions. It's deletions that can be problematic to me.
    Welcoming does not automatically translate to buying for me, but may supply others with what they are looking for.

18. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Wow I can bring a knife bigger on most cruise ships I’ve been on than I can to Chicago.

blanco112 likes this.
  19. bonzodog

bonzodog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2011

No,you do not have to have a good reason to carry a sub three inch blade non locking knife.

blanco112 likes this.
  20. loon#r

loon#r Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Like many, I’m excited and will buy one but the price is a letdown. And no half stop?! Plus a missed opportunity to reach a wider demographic IMO. A Damasteel insingo/wharncliffe blade is a must. I’ll go sulk a bit.

FourD likes this.