Crosscut Saw Thread

Went to Tillers International saturday. From their museum:

41499735961_0be6ecce1c_o.jpg

Bob

41499723161_0eb4f8dc44_o.jpg

web_congo2.jpg

http://www.tillersinternational.org/home-temp/

It's a beautiful old saw and the cleaning job nicely done. Hard to see in the pictures but it looks like a rip saw?

Thank you Ernest, very kind.

I believe it is a rip saw, not overly aggressive but the teeth angles appear to me to be of a rip saw.
Later today I will take some better pics and post.
The brochure I found lists it as their standard saw.

I wish I had this when I was building the treefort.

Another cup of coffee is needed:cool:

This Henry Disston 10" backsaw needs new teeth...
But she is a looker just the same!
I believe it to be late 1840's into 1850's for a date range.

20180607_232440.jpg

WuJngNJ.jpg

UoakCSh.jpg

LDCSv7Z.jpg

quE0osP.jpg

eQIu8fj.jpg

IO3jFQe.jpg

4QpO0RR.jpg

pvlI30F.jpg

Not Henry Disston & Son, not Henry Disston & Sons, but Henry Disston.:cool: Well done Miller! In all honesty I am jealous.

Bob

;)
Thank you again Bob. The name game with Disston...That was one of the best parts of researching and discovering the name and eagle differences in just the first 10/20 years of the company. This Henry Disston makes me smile and feel like I won something!
It's hanging now where I can see it everytime I am at my bench.
120 years my senior this saw...blows me away :cool:

l6tZA5q.jpg

iTVmXO0.jpg

this is the little Disston from my haul a few days ago, (the lower picture is from before filing so the teeth are wonky) It cuts so smooth compared to any other saw i own. the Etch showed p very quickly with only light sanding with 1200 grit. the remainder of the plate was sanded to 400 grit as a finish and i left the handle alone for the most part. the lighting in the first picture makes it seem more "rusted" than it actually is. much like miller and his little joinery saw, i love this thing

l6tZA5q.jpg

iTVmXO0.jpg

this is the little Disston from my haul a few days ago, (the lower picture is from before filing so the teeth are wonky) It cuts so smooth compared to any other saw i own. the Etch showed p very quickly with only light sanding with 1200 grit. the remainder of the plate was sanded to 400 grit as a finish and i left the handle alone for the most part. the lighting in the first picture makes it seem more "rusted" than it actually is. much like miller and his little joinery saw, i love this thing

That came out great! Excellent work PhantomKnives!
I have saws I need to out a file to as well

weird, i checked with Disstonian, if it's right this thing was a D8 that left the factory with a D7 handle. it appears better quality than most D7 handles. that's weird.
edit: looking at the medallion, it uses the 1917 style medallion, they didnt make the D7 until 1928. there is so much wrong with this saw

Last edited:
weird, i checked with Disstonian, if it's right this thing was a D8 that left the factory with a D7 handle. it appears better quality than most D7 handles. that's weird.
edit: looking at the medallion, it uses the 1917 style medallion, they didnt make the D7 until 1928. there is so much wrong with this saw

Ahh yes, the Disston medallion, handle, etch adventure! I love it each time!

Wonder if you guys can help me identify a faint etching on a 78" two man crosscut i am reconditioning.

Here are the best two photos i have gotten so far (sorry i can't embed.. picky forum)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vVECgN5YkzFUPxdr6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/d4XnBskJR3BNd2pZ7

It looks like there is a gem or diamond shape in the upper middle.
The bottom text looks like it reads PHILADELPHIA USA
There may also be some text along the top, but it is hard to tell!

Any recommendations for raising the etch without blowing it away?

Thanks,
Dave

Back