David Mirabile RONIN Battle Tanto WIP (PAGE 25 NEW CUTTING VIDEO)

Glad you're alright buddy. But aren't you gettin' a little old for sliding down the road? ;) At least you didn't high-side!!

Thank you for sharing David's WIP with us. Gonna be a goodin'.

Just looking at these pictures, literally gives me an adrenaline dump and a pounding heart. Loving this WIP thread Joe. Your accompaning history and experience based information is truely a significant enhancement. Very much looking forward to the next installment. Mike

You buddy got the pretty one :)

Thanks Mike

I really wanted to keep yours so this one is retribution from David :)

Glad you're alright buddy. But aren't you gettin' a little old for sliding down the road? ;) At least you didn't high-side!!

Thank you for sharing David's WIP with us. Gonna be a goodin'.

You know it buddy and a lot of people have been reminding me about my age these days........ Thanks buddy :)

I've been waiting for a piece like this from David for quite awhile so I'm rather stoked

You are right if your going to get off the low side is better than the high :)

You buddy got the pretty one :)

Thanks Mike

I really wanted to keep yours so this one is retribution from David :)

Ha!:D I bet you that I live at least a couple of hundred miles closer to David than you do. I'm putting my running shoes on right now (though I'll probably collapse before reaching my own city limits). Thanks again, Joe. Mike

Thanks for the education Joe. I've stayed away from this whole genre of blades because I lack the discipline to learn all I'd need to know in order to not waste money and make a fool of myself. However, I know I can trust what you're laying out for us here and that's why I appreciate this thread.
I do have a Mirable blade in my collection - a minor early piece but it's got magic in it, just like all his stuff! TT - truly talented.
"Keep the rubber side down." That's what the man told me 49 years ago when I was 17 and bought my first motorcycle.

Thanks for the education Joe. I've stayed away from this whole genre of blades because I lack the discipline to learn all I'd need to know in order to not waste money and make a fool of myself. However, I know I can trust what you're laying out for us here and that's why I appreciate this thread.
I do have a Mirable blade in my collection - a minor early piece but it's got magic in it, just like all his stuff! TT - truly talented.
"Keep the rubber side down." That's what the man told me 49 years ago when I was 17 and bought my first motorcycle.

Thx Buddy

The whole Tanto...O Tanto ...... WAKIZASHI..... Ko WAKIZASHI thing gets confusing and I do believe handle length comes into play also

One thing both have is a guard

Like I said earlier this is a big Tanto or small Wak

But I'm sure some would call it the other above mentioned terms

It's a terrible interesting genre of blades and I hope to show what a Tanto can really do compared to what is normally thought as one

Thx Buddy for the kind words

Last edited:
Just reading thru this... can't wait to see how this large Tanto turns out! I love David's work and hope to add one of his pieces some day to my collection!!

I'm REALLY glad you weren't hurt worse on your bike tumble... I grew up riding motorbikes at a very young age as well and have ditched and crashed many times. Usually it was my own fault and done while riding dirt bikes. Last time I had to ditch my bike on pavement was when my new 23 yr old daughter was just a baby and an old lady never even blinked as she nearly nailed me w/her old Buick... I decided to give up being on the road w/out the protection of a steel cage around me due to the idiots that also take up space driving 4000lb death machines while texting, putting on make-up, shaving, reading books, etc... all while they should be DRIVING!! I LOVE your bikes and know how much joy and fun they bring. Stay safe and keep us updated friend!

Just reading thru this... can't wait to see how this large Tanto turns out! I love David's work and hope to add one of his pieces some day to my collection!!

I'm REALLY glad you weren't hurt worse on your bike tumble... I grew up riding motorbikes at a very young age as well and have ditched and crashed many times. Usually it was my own fault and done while riding dirt bikes. Last time I had to ditch my bike on pavement was when my new 23 yr old daughter was just a baby and an old lady never even blinked as she nearly nailed me w/her old Buick... I decided to give up being on the road w/out the protection of a steel cage around me due to the idiots that also take up space driving 4000lb death machines while texting, putting on make-up, shaving, reading books, etc... all while they should be DRIVING!! I LOVE your bikes and know how much joy and fun they bring. Stay safe and keep us updated friend!

Thanks buddy

If your interested in a piece from David reach out to me and I'll see what I can do

Thx again

David's my hero.

See whatcha all did?!? Now I gotta go all Mirabile on ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

standard.jpg

On with the WIP

Tsuba (guard) time

Okay please jump in here with thoughts comments

There are many materials to make the guard (Tsuba) that distinguishes this as a Tanto

Many would choose titanium in this day and age

I choose iron

Why ?

Not only is it the traditional material.....I like iron for many reasons

One I don't mind the weight in this part of the piece

Weight here gives the blade a more neutral balanced feel

Next

Not that I'm planing on having a blade run down my blade and into the guard but it is what it's made for and a forged Iron Tsuba excels at this

Next

This is wrought iron, smelted at the Treadwell Foundry in Juneau around 1900. They had the most state of the art foundry on the west coast at the turn of the century, supporting the many area gold mines and actually building much of the machinery used.

So it is rich in history

Here we go

More shaping and texturing to come

Last edited:
David's Habaki's are World Class.....he's a Welder Extrodinaire and fuses the copper, along with his 'Cat Scratch' finish and heat coloring.....the Tsuba's on these are Titanium.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful Dudley

David did the research and he knows how to make a Habaki like a jeweler :)

Last edited:
Tsuba work

From David :

Working on the texture, then the rim...

Forging the rim causes the texture to become more pronounced and gnarly as it gets distorted while reducing the diameter.

The hammer that I've been using on the rim was a gift from Claude Beauchenville. Love it!
Thank you Claude!

Claude is another Artisian in the forge

He made that Hammer and gave it to his fellow Artisian

Great gift between two wonderful artists

Both of these men share a kindred spirit

Masters in the forge and men of true merit and steel

Last edited:
Although I love all genres of Knife making there has always been something that stirs the soul of a forged blade and its components

In Japan it was believed the maker imparted a little of themselves to the spirit of the blade

When a dear friend is the maker the feeling for the blade can truly stir....... the owners soul

Back