Dogs and traditional knives

A sad update: yesterday we had to have Bella put down.
She had kidney problems for the past several years, and we've tried various diets and medications that the vet hoped would "improve her numbers". The vet always seemed more worried than I was, since I couldn't really see any significant symptoms that Bella suffered from. We had to board the dogs while we left town for a couple of weeks, and my wife found a new kennel to put them in because part of Bella's most recent treatment involved her receiving 100 mL of subcutaneous fluids every day. Before I met her, my wife had worked as a vet tech for a few years, so she could do the fluids at home, but finding a kennel that had personnel qualified to do that was a challenge. When we got home last Saturday and picked up the dogs, Bella was in bad shape: rapid respiration, a lot of weak coughing, no appetite, totally listless and just wanted to sleep. My wife took her to an emergency clinic late that night and came home with some antibiotics, cough medicine, appetite stimulant. None of it seems to work, and the vet yesterday said that her kidneys had finally "crashed", and there was no guarantee that aggressive treatment would help her. So my wife (in phone consultation with our daughter) decided to have Bella put down.

Sad times; I hope Gandalf can adapt to the loss.

- GT
Very sad news Gary, so sorry to hear that. 🙁

She had kidney problems for the past several years, and we've tried various diets and medications that the vet hoped would "improve her numbers". The vet always seemed more worried than I was, since I couldn't really see any significant symptoms that Bella suffered from. We had to board the dogs while we left town for a couple of weeks, and my wife found a new kennel to put them in because part of Bella's most recent treatment involved her receiving 100 mL of subcutaneous fluids every day. Before I met her, my wife had worked as a vet tech for a few years, so she could do the fluids at home, but finding a kennel that had personnel qualified to do that was a challenge. When we got home last Saturday and picked up the dogs, Bella was in bad shape: rapid respiration, a lot of weak coughing, no appetite, totally listless and just wanted to sleep. My wife took her to an emergency clinic late that night and came home with some antibiotics, cough medicine, appetite stimulant. None of it seems to work, and the vet yesterday said that her kidneys had finally "crashed", and there was no guarantee that aggressive treatment would help her. So my wife (in phone consultation with our daughter) decided to have Bella put down.

- GT
Oh Man!!! 😞 😪
Gary this is absolutely terrible news, I am so so sorry to read of this, poor wee Bella. All of our thoughts go out to you right now, terrible news to read with a very heavy Heart here!

I'm really sorry to hear about this - my condolences to you and your family. I hope Gandalf will be okay - maybe a good thing (for both of you!) to spend some extra time with him now.
Gary, sorry for your loss of Bella, they are with us for such a short time, glad you guys found each other, and had a wonderful time together.
Sorry for the loss of your pet, GT.
Very sad news Gary, so sorry to hear that. 🙁
Oh Man!!! 😞 😪
Gary this is absolutely terrible news, I am so so sorry to read of this, poor wee Bella. All of our thoughts go out to you right now, terrible news to read with a very heavy Heart here!
Tyson, Preston, John, Todd, & Duncan, thanks for your comments.
I, and my wife, appreciate your kind sentiments.

- GT

That puppy picture is the most adorable ever... It's my favorite breed of dog too... Heelers are #1 🤠:thumbsup:
Thanks he’s pretty darn cute if I say so myself, healers are definitely my favorite. You had me looking through some old pictures these really capture his personality.

- GT
I’m really sorry for your loss, I’m with Jasper pretty much 24hrs a day he gets up with me around 3:30/4am and is with me until bed time where he sleeps inside our bedroom door standing guard, losing him would be very painful for me.

- GT
My deepest condolences. It is never easy. They just don’t last long enough. I hope Gandalf is adjusting. I know they can have a bit of a tough time. Dogs miss dogs too.

Just spotted this thread. Some great pictures of your dogs and some great stories to go with.
This is Ellie my 7 yr English Bulldog. Hard to get her to stay still unless food is involved.
IMG-20211012-110701.jpg

Here are Bella and Gandalf (left to right), ignoring my Opignel:
View attachment 1611426

Here's Gandalf ignoring a lambsfoot knife:
View attachment 1611427

Bella had a half-sister named Stella who was actually the first dog we had of this trio. But Stella had no luck at all with her health. She had allergies almost her entire life. She developed cataracts and painful glaucoma in both eyes and eventually had both eyes removed. Finally she developed stomach problems so bad that we had to have her put down; sad times. Here are a couple of pictures of Stella, one while sitting on my wife's suitcase as my wife packed to visit our daughter in Spain and Stella knew she wasn't going, and one after she had lost both eyes and I was "showing" her a new knife:

- GT
Gary, sorry to hear about Bella, RIP. I hope Gandalf is coping without her.
Before I got to your post about Bella, I was chuckling away at Gandalf - what a perfect name, looks just like him :)

Just spotted this thread. Some great pictures of your dogs and some great stories to go with.
This is Ellie my 7 yr English Bulldog. Hard to get her to stay still unless food is involved.
Before I got to your post about Bella, I was chuckling away at Gandalf - what a perfect name, looks just like him :)
That Ellie is a cutie! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Thanks for the kind words about our dogs. Gandalf seemed puzzled on the day my wife returned from the vet without Bella, but he seems to be doing fine since then. He does seem to have an increased desire to spend more time with his humans now. I'll pass your comments about Gandalf's name on to my wife, who noticed the same resemblance as you and chose the name. 🤓

- GT

A few weeks ago Odin’s brain tumor had reached the point where we had to put him down. I can’t remember the last time I cried like that. It’s been hard. I loved that dog like no other I ever had, and we had a wonderful 7 years together. He was always so happy and endearing. I will always miss him.

A9F6B691-91C4-4446-A76C-31E5132A2F2D.jpeg7C3036A8-F2B2-4CBD-A2E1-ADF6DCD1C1D8.jpeg4B00586C-242C-42EB-BFB3-83449524641A.jpeg
20AE1A6A-C817-45D2-A46B-F6D5572CB6CD.jpeg

Today I went to look at puppies and came home with this cute little guy. He reminds me of puppy Odin. I named him Freyr. I have a good feeling about him.

326AB8DC-84CF-4563-99BA-C4046B13DA76.jpeg

And speaking of good companions, not quite the same as a dog but this barlow has been a good one. I’ve had it with me the whole time since it arrived.

FC19CD5A-6F3B-454D-BAB3-56DB66C6E793.jpeg

A few weeks ago Odin’s brain tumor had reached the point where we had to put him down. I can’t remember the last time I cried like that. It’s been hard. I loved that dog like no other I ever had, and we had a wonderful 7 years together. He was always so happy and endearing. I will always miss him.

View attachment 1691154View attachment 1691156View attachment 1691174
View attachment 1691181

Today I went to look at puppies and came home with this cute little guy. He reminds me of puppy Odin. I named him Freyr. I have a good feeling about him.

View attachment 1691185

And speaking of good companions, not quite the same as a dog but this barlow has been a good one. I’ve had it with me the whole time since it arrived.

View attachment 1691186

Heart-wrenching news, sorry to hear of your loss. It's amazing how strong a bond can be created in such a relatively short time, they truly become your best friend, unconditionally.
Here's to new beginnings. 🍻

So sorry that I missed the chance last August to give my condolences regarding Bella. And now I must cry with you, Paul. It is mighty tough to lose a member of the family. We lost Jenny this year as well and the first week was a hard one for me. We are on the list for a puppy in the late Winter or early Spring and she will be Katie. I guess I am an old fool; I have started buying harnesses, toys, etc. and TWO nice beds. A dog would love to fetch these old Remington clunkers were I to toss them for her.
View attachment 1691222View attachment 1691223

I am sorry about your’s too Cal. It is hard, and it’s always so terrible when they go, but it’s worth going through for those dogs we will always love.

I would certainly fetch those remington clunkers, but I may not bring them back. 😁

IMG-20211012-110701.jpg

Ellie probably wants you to throw away that 'stick' so she can chase after it :D

Back