Dogs and traditional knives

A great idea for a thread! Great looking dogs!๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

Last month was a tough one. Our three year old Cocker died from pneumonia after a visit to the groomers. Hit us really hard since we started with him at 1 week old bottle feeding him to help the owners out. The mom caught parvo, so all 5 pups needed to be fed separately. He was the only survivor.

I really didn't want to look for another dog. I knew my wife started to look at dogs on line after a few days, but I didn't expect her to find anything. Next thing I know, we're in the truck driving an hour away "just to look" ๐Ÿ˜ถ
Sooooo....say hello to Jack! (sorry Mr. Black!๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘).
UFI6qCU.jpg
A Springer Spaniel. Already growing like a weed in just the couple of weeks we've had him.
Asleep in his bowl.
7wJJr2w.jpg

sfQaXMb.jpg

And the obligatory knife pic.
ikt8wou.jpg
Love the springers. Great dogs with a ton of personality. Have known a few in my day. Iโ€™m a sucker for the bird dogs. :)

This is Lucy. She is very derpy and very sweet, but is also the ultimate hunter. She goes after all critters in her path but loves people and 99% of dogs. She has killed multiple raccoons and not received a scratch, I donโ€™t know how.

9BEB0F80-FEDF-4FAC-8D2E-E54AA752072B.jpeg

Dennis, thats horrible to loose a 3 year old - I know that well loosing a 2 & 1/2 year old - he was still a baby - had a Tumour behind his eye and it was terminal, I saved him from the upcoming pain- which hurt me more than I ever want to hurt again, I still grieve for my Beautiful Rottie Luke who left us so many years ago, now we are still trying to get over Izzy - seen in my Avatar -having left us after 16 years of her ruling the House as Queen Bee that she was lol, but it's wonderful looking through here at everyone's Friends!

Its so nice to see that you have that beautiful wee thing in your life - well done to you giving him a loving Home- and he does look at Home there :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thank you very much for the kind words, Duncan!
And thanks for the backstory on your avatar and your own losses. Izzy was a good looking dog! No doubt you guys have many great memories of adventures you had with her over the years!

Jack has quickly made himself at home and is a great little guy!
I also felt that I didn't want to go through the heartbreak and grief of losing another. Then after nine long months of being without one, I decided that for me, the emptiness of being without and the joy and completeness of sharing life with one replaces the angst of losing one.

Dutch has been with me for all seven of his years. I'll not be without a dog in my life again.
zngjnEk.jpg
You're spot on with your comment Preston! They bring so much joy and comfort!๐Ÿ‘
These pictures are fantastic Dennis, so cute! ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
Thank you very much, Todd! He's a mess for sure!๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘
Love the springers. Great dogs with a ton of personality. Have known a few in my day. Iโ€™m a sucker for the bird dogs. :)
First time with a Spring, I just hope I can keep up with him, lol!
We had a German Shorthair years back, and he was a great dog!

This is our new boy, 'Roy'. The lady at the dog rescue says he is an Australian Shepard mix and 1-2 yrs old, we just got him yesterday.
I know he looks crazy but he's actually a very affectionate fella. Only 24 hours have passed in his new home but we've all bonded as a pack.
He's already following the wife and I everywhere we go and he's up for whatever is going on. :)
Didn't trust him to pose with a knife yet, he's still got a bunch of pup in him and I'm sure he would immediately think it was a chew toy.
It's kinda like having a toddler in the house again.โ˜บ๏ธ
View attachment 1625248View attachment 1625249View attachment 1625250

Didn't trust him to pose with a knife yet
I can appreciate that.
One of my pet peeves is posing open blades on or near the dogs... crap can happen quickly and it's not worth the risk to our furry friends just to get a picture to show off to a bunch of strangers. Respect the pooch... we know what the blades look like and there are other threads to show them off. Rant Over.

I glanced in on this thread when it first started, but just now got around to catching up on most of it. Itโ€™s great to see everyoneโ€™s furry friends! :thumbsup:

These pictures of our now-8-year-old English Lab Maggie are a couple years old (taken for a giveaway held by Duncan Campbellclanman Campbellclanman ) but her favorite pastime is still napping.

CnIqGg7.jpg

rEEunvE.jpg

This is one of her favorite positions to sleep in.

rEYlbOJ.jpg

Here she is in her more active โ€œyouth.โ€

rH98uLT.jpg

h4IAJsa.jpg

DChDVmJ.jpg

And the day we brought her home.

TMW38vS.jpg

I can appreciate that.
One of my pet peeves is posing open blades on or near the dogs... crap can happen quickly and it's not worth the risk to our furry friends just to get a picture to show off to a bunch of strangers. Respect the pooch... we know what the blades look like and there are other threads to show them off. Rant Over.
Very very good point. Been thinking that since I started this thread. Thanks for pointing it out! My dog is dead broke on her conditioned retrieve (force fetch) but I still used a sheath for this shot. Anything can happen. 51F0A831-B2ED-4C7B-9BF2-042749D5E1EE.jpeg

Here are Bella and Gandalf (left to right), ignoring my Opignel:
View attachment 1611426
- GT
A sad update: yesterday we had to have Bella put down.
She had kidney problems for the past several years, and we've tried various diets and medications that the vet hoped would "improve her numbers". The vet always seemed more worried than I was, since I couldn't really see any significant symptoms that Bella suffered from. We had to board the dogs while we left town for a couple of weeks, and my wife found a new kennel to put them in because part of Bella's most recent treatment involved her receiving 100 mL of subcutaneous fluids every day. Before I met her, my wife had worked as a vet tech for a few years, so she could do the fluids at home, but finding a kennel that had personnel qualified to do that was a challenge. When we got home last Saturday and picked up the dogs, Bella was in bad shape: rapid respiration, a lot of weak coughing, no appetite, totally listless and just wanted to sleep. My wife took her to an emergency clinic late that night and came home with some antibiotics, cough medicine, appetite stimulant. None of it seems to work, and the vet yesterday said that her kidneys had finally "crashed", and there was no guarantee that aggressive treatment would help her. So my wife (in phone consultation with our daughter) decided to have Bella put down.

Sad times; I hope Gandalf can adapt to the loss.

- GT

A sad update: yesterday we had to have Bella put down.
She had kidney problems for the past several years, and we've tried various diets and medications that the vet hoped would "improve her numbers". The vet always seemed more worried than I was, since I couldn't really see any significant symptoms that Bella suffered from. We had to board the dogs while we left town for a couple of weeks, and my wife found a new kennel to put them in because part of Bella's most recent treatment involved her receiving 100 mL of subcutaneous fluids every day. Before I met her, my wife had worked as a vet tech for a few years, so she could do the fluids at home, but finding a kennel that had personnel qualified to do that was a challenge. When we got home last Saturday and picked up the dogs, Bella was in bad shape: rapid respiration, a lot of weak coughing, no appetite, totally listless and just wanted to sleep. My wife took her to an emergency clinic late that night and came home with some antibiotics, cough medicine, appetite stimulant. None of it seems to work, and the vet yesterday said that her kidneys had finally "crashed", and there was no guarantee that aggressive treatment would help her. So my wife (in phone consultation with our daughter) decided to have Bella put down.

Sad times; I hope Gandalf can adapt to the loss.

- GT
I'm really sorry to hear about this - my condolences to you and your family. I hope Gandalf will be okay - maybe a good thing (for both of you!) to spend some extra time with him now.

Back