Emerson Rep Now on Blade Forums

Don't click the above link "El Fakeo" unless you want to crank up the virus software ... which is what I am doing right now.

I linked a Blade Forum thread on Faux Emerson's ? What Virus??

I am not sure but as soon as I clicked the link "el fakeo" I got red screen then live sex chat. Have you tired it? So far my virus software has detected 28 threats. I think if you can I would just edit it out

I am not sure but as soon as I clicked the link "el fakeo" I got red screen then live sex chat. Have you tired it? So far my virus software has detected 28 threats. I think if you can I would just edit it out

Same story here.

I like your knives and I think your presence here is a major plus for both you as the company and us as the users.

Any chance you guys may go to CPM-154 steel in the future?

As great as 154CM is, CPM-154 is a substantial improvement. It has better edge retention since it can generally be treated to a higher hardness, and the toughness improvement of CPM-154 over 154CM is such a difference that they should really call them different names. I also think it is very easy to sharpen, and a great steel to put a very thin edge on. For a hard-use knife, CPM-154 is very hard to beat, and I think any maker going from 154CM to CPM-154 is making serious continuous quality improvement to their products. Compared to many other super steels currently being used, I think high-hardness CPM-154 has major advantages in some areas and that its overall rockstar performance makes it one of the best steels that can be used on multi-tasking folding knives.

https://www.crucible.com/PDFs/\DataSheets2010\Datasheet CPM 154 CMv12010.pdf

I honestly wouldn't know that information. I think Ernest is open to trying a new steel in a small batch but I couldn't tell you when that would happen.

I like your knives and I think your presence here is a major plus for both you as the company and us as the users.

Any chance you guys may go to CPM-154 steel in the future?

As great as 154CM is, CPM-154 is a substantial improvement. It has better edge retention since it can generally be treated to a higher hardness, and the toughness improvement of CPM-154 over 154CM is such a difference that they should really call them different names. I also think it is very easy to sharpen, and a great steel to put a very thin edge on. For a hard-use knife, CPM-154 is very hard to beat, and I think any maker going from 154CM to CPM-154 is making serious continuous quality improvement to their products. Compared to many other super steels currently being used, I think high-hardness CPM-154 has major advantages in some areas and that its overall rockstar performance makes it one of the best steels that can be used on multi-tasking folding knives.

https://www.crucible.com/PDFs/\DataSheets2010\Datasheet CPM 154 CMv12010.pdf

They are already using CPM-154. Reference this interview. Check out 20:45. He talks about how crucible was there for him from the begining.

http://youtu.be/PwJz3KgAuJ0

I am a little confused.

Bear with me...First, I was under the impression that interview noted he used '154 from Crucible'. Doesn't Crucible make both 154CM and CPM-154 and sell both in sheets? Also, when he noted that 154CM is the same as ATS-34, to my understanding these two steels are comparable at their initial ways of production, where as CPM-154 is compared to RWL-34?

Emerson is certainly very competent with their treatment of 154, and I think their blades are usually very efficient cutters with good designs. And I do agree with his position that favoring toughness over edge retention makes complete sense if the knife is used in a way in which impact to the blade is probable. But if he is using CPM-154, why is it being treated to 57-59? The Emersons I personally have do not sport the performance of the Kershaws I have in CPM-154, which are hardened around 60. The difference in edge retention is pronounced. With that said, I had no idea Emersons were only hardened to 57-59! Holy crap! I honestly thought they treated their 154 to a higher hardness because the edge retention is good. I always thought they hardened to 58-61 like Benchmade. So is this because they do a good heat treatment of 154CM, or because the steel is CPM-154?

I am also a little confused why all of my 154 Emersons are stamped "154CM" if they were made with CPM-154? That is a selling point. CPM-154 is much more expensive than 154CM, and generally CPM-154 knives are labeled accordingly.

Definitely 154CM and the reasoning behind the 57-59 hardness is because any harder and the knife could possible snap if you were trying to pry something open. While we don't recommend or warranty and knife that was used for prying, Mr Emerson states that a broken knife is just garbage while a dull knife is still a knife....or something close along those lines. I agree with that logic completely. These knives were made to be sharpened in the field and if had to, run across the pavement or rock to get a sharper edge.

Definitely 154CM and the reasoning behind the 57-59 hardness is because any harder and the knife could possible snap if you were trying to pry something open. While we don't recommend or warranty and knife that was used for prying, Mr Emerson states that a broken knife is just garbage while a dull knife is still a knife....or something close along those lines. I agree with that logic completely. These knives were made to be sharpened in the field and if had to, run across the pavement or rock to get a sharper edge.

+1000, and LOVE that philosophy. Anybody tried to sharpen a chirped edge Sebenza in the field?

+1000, and LOVE that philosophy. Anybody tried to sharpen a chirped edge Sebenza in the field?

Actually, I find my CQC7/13 and Sebenza in CPM-S35VN to have similar levels of performance and edge retention. The "edge" in edge holding probably goes to Emerson by a slight margin, as the Emerson is actually a bit more difficult to sharpen- I think it's probably about a wash in toughness too. CR also runs his steel "soft"...

Actually, I find my CQC7/13 and Sebenza in CPM-S35VN to have similar levels of performance and edge retention. The "edge" in edge holding probably goes to Emerson by a slight margin, as the Emerson is actually a bit more difficult to sharpen- I think it's probably about a wash in toughness too. CR also runs his steel "soft"...

Was going to say the same thing. The chisel edge does make the EKI easier to field repair, but CRK's with S30V or S35V are not too hard to easily sharpen. BG42's are another matter though.

Back