Emerson Rep Now on Blade Forums

Was going to say the same thing. The chisel edge does make the EKI easier to field repair, but CRK's with S30V or S35V are not too hard to easily sharpen. BG42's are another matter though.

Same here. That's why, away from home, I like to carry steels like 154CM and S35VN and even well done 1095. They work fine and they're much easier for me to maintain when I'm away from my main sharpening kit.

Hello,

I have an Emerson Cqc-7bw that I received for an 18th birthday present. I'm currently 19, and every day since, that emerson has ridden proudly in my pocket. That being said, unfortunately I have now chipped (very small chip) the middle of the tanto head, and the tip of the knife has also become flattened. I only have used the thing as a knife, not as a pry bar or a rocket propelled grenade or any such craziness, but the warranty on the emerson website wasn't very comforting that if I sent it to you guys that i could get my knife fixed, and I love it. I have 15ish knives spanning the whole spectrum of makers and styles, and it's by far my favorite edc, and I've wanted to get it fixed, but I don't want to take it to anywhere else, because I love the knife so much I want it, if fixed, to remain up to emerson standards. Do you have any idea if my knife would get fixed if I sent it in? Because I'd really like it to be back in "fighting shape". Thanks!

Respectfully,
A proud emerson owner

Last edited:
Definitely 154CM and the reasoning behind the 57-59 hardness is because any harder and the knife could possible snap if you were trying to pry something open. While we don't recommend or warranty and knife that was used for prying, Mr Emerson states that a broken knife is just garbage while a dull knife is still a knife....or something close along those lines. I agree with that logic completely. These knives were made to be sharpened in the field and if had to, run across the pavement or rock to get a sharper edge.

I did not know you harden only to 57-59 HRC because your 154CM performs like other 154CM I have used closer to 59-61!!!

I think you will find that if you move from 154CM to CPM-154, you will see a big improvement in both edge retention and toughness (but especially toughness). It would also allow hardening CPM-154 to higher levels but still have toughness which exceeds that of 154CM at current hardness. I find the uniform carbide distribution of CPM-154 makes it easier to sharpen also. As a plus for you, I've read CPM-154 is much easier to machine.

I agree with Mr. Emerson's logic completely, and that is the core reason I am asking about CPM-154. Given your emphasis on the importance of toughness, I think that makes you more likely than others to appreciate just how much CPM-154 improves over 154CM (and most other stainless steels for that matter). The real-world benefit is significant. Knives in CPM-154 around 60-61 HRC I've done things to that would outright break most other blades (including those in 154CM).

If you can get 154CM at 57-59 HRC to perform as well as it does, you're clearly competent with the heat treatment process of 154 and I can only imagine what you could do with CPM-154. You're company is loyal to Crucible and American workers, and feel strongly that 154 is a spectacular steel. And I agree and think that mindset is awesome. Based on your experience and your mission, it seems almost a natural evolutionary step for you go to CPM-154 as you could keep 154 while taking things up a few notches, stay with Crucible, keep something that is easier to sharpen, go to higher hardness levels while actually gaining substantially in toughness, and be at a huuuuuuuge performance advantage over any maker using 154CM, which is a 'by default' performance/selling advantage.

I have both praise and criticism for almost every production maker. But the bottom line is that I believe you respond to your customers, you build great knives, your edge geometries are fantastic, and you clearly spend a lot of time in the planning and R&D stages, all of which I admire. If I didn't, I would not post this to begin with.

If you go to CPM-154, that admiration will improve greatly, and I will purchase many more of your knives. Given your appreciation of the importance of toughness, if there is any maker I could see going to CPM-154, it's Emerson...

Do you work for Crucible? ;) There's also a saying "if it ain't broke....." I'll pass along the info at the appropriate time. Thank you.

Hello,

I have an Emerson Cqc-7bw that I received for an 18th birthday present. I'm currently 19, and every day since, that emerson has ridden proudly in my pocket. That being said, unfortunately I have now chipped (very small chip) the middle of the tanto head, and the tip of the knife has also become flattened. I only have used the thing as a knife, not as a pry bar or a rocket propelled grenade or any such craziness, but the warranty on the emerson website wasn't very comforting that if I sent it to you guys that i could get my knife fixed, and I love it. I have 15ish knives spanning the whole spectrum of makers and styles, and it's by far my favorite edc, and I've wanted to get it fixed, but I don't want to take it to anywhere else, because I love the knife so much I want it, if fixed, to remain up to emerson standards. Do you have any idea if my knife would get fixed if I sent it in? Because I'd really like it to be back in "fighting shape". Thanks!

Respectfully,
A proud emerson owner

We'd have to check it out first to see how bad the damage is and if it warrants a reblade. We may be able to put a new edge on it, depends on how much material we can take away. Can you send us pictures or post some here?

Hello,

Respectfully,
A proud emerson owner

Post a pic.
I beat the shit outta my Commander and am constantly chipping the edge. One thing I love most about Emerson's 154cm is how easy the blade is to repair and maintain.
I use Lansky diamonds and set to 25 degrees per side.

Post a pic.
I beat the shit outta my Commander and am constantly chipping the edge. One thing I love most about Emerson's 154cm is how easy the blade is to repair and maintain.
I use Lansky diamonds and set to 25 degrees per side.
So you've "V'd" yours? I'm asking because I received a new-to-me first for me, a Nath-EKI that has been V'd.

Do you work for Crucible? ;) There's also a saying "if it ain't broke....." I'll pass along the info at the appropriate time. Thank you.

I'm just a fan of CPM-154 and I like your knives!

Given you design them to have the crap beaten out of them and survive usage that would destroy many other folders, I figure if any maker will take advantage of CPM-154's practically ridiculous toughness, it's you...

So you've "V'd" yours? I'm asking because I received a new-to-me first for me, a Nath-EKI that has been V'd.

No way dude! I set the angle for 50 degrees included but only sharpen one side and deburr the other.
Thought about putting a V edge on it but I fear I may be struck by lightning.

No way dude! I set the angle for 50 degrees included but only sharpen one side and deburr the other.
Thought about putting a V edge on it but I fear I may be struck by lightning.

Yeah, I really wish mine hadn't been changed. I may pick up a new Horseman and try a blade swap. Probably my only option at this point.

I keep seeing that Horseman everywhere! Good to see its in an Emerson fans hands!!!

Hey Gang- Do you like the new EmersonRep, or what?
Nice job here, EmersonRep. Thanks...
rolf

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it! The "wish" list is pretty fun to look at and you never know!

Back