Evil semi-fullyautomatic knife of terror

I think that too many people these days have been negatively conditioned towards knives in general and especially knives carried in public .

They don't grow up with knives as tools . The media usually shows knives as weapons use by bad guys , often vile psychopaths ! :eek:

The NCIS show is one great exception and it sure would be good for the future of the knife industry and knife owner rights to have more media showing knives as useful tools . :cool::thumbsup:

There are no two ways about it, pulling out a knife to clean for no reason, regardless of how big or small it is, can very easily be viewed as brandishing (which is illegal in most states) and potentially threatening. While the reaction of the lady to the knife was obviously a little extreme, a knife is a weapon alongside being a tool. Pulling a knife out for no reason is not socially acceptable behavior, and treating it as socially unacceptable behavior is not something that should be shamed. The name calling and multiple attempts to try to politically charge this topic should be shamed, and I'm a bit surprised a mod hasn't stepped in and shut this down already.

The lady's reaction was over the top, but knives like many other things we all have should not just be whipped out for no reason. Right to carry is not right to brandish. This could have been ended with a simple apology for obviously disconcerting behavior, but it was instead taken to an internet forum... to try and get props on disconcerting behavior? Don't pull out a knife for no reason, that kind of stuff makes us all look bad. Clean your knife at home, man.

Y’all serious about the needles and dentist?
I have crippling fear of needles, and after getting a lot of dental work done in a short amount of time I've only just become slightly okay with getting stuck in the gums. I nearly passed out last time I had to get blood drawn, and nearly vomited last time I had to get an ingrown toenail removed. It's not a fun phobia at all. Still get a serious anxiety attack every year when I get my flu shot (which is usually done in less than 5 minutes, and hurts less than getting pinched). I'm not sure why fear of blades is viewed as such a joke when the science on the existence of phobia is pretty much settled. Somebody reacts accordingly from their phobia to a spider and nobody bats and eye, but somebody reacts accordingly from their phobia of blades and they are sheeple. Irrational fear should be met with understanding and education, not condescension and ridicule. Looking down on fear is how society becomes more toxic and unwelcoming.

Not condescending or looking down on anyone dkb45. All good and sorry about your phobia and irrational fear.

I ride a train from upstate New York to NYC daily. The ride is about 90 minutes each way. I've had the idea pop into my head during that boring ride that I could sharpen my SAK - you know, do something somewhat useful to pass the time. But my smarter self always says, "No, scro! That will end in tears." No matter how innocent my intention, in that setting it would just be seen as a threatening thing to do.
In the OP's case, I see something similar going on. I reckon there aren't too many spots on the floor of the average Costco where a customer pulling out a knife (even a very small one) wouldn't attract negative attention. It is about context. Sure, the employees may have boxcutters in their pockets. They have a job to do. They are known to the other employees. There is comfort and familiarity there that allows the use of a boxcutter to fit neatly within that context. A customer, on the other hand, is an unknown and a knife in his/her hand would be out of place - a threat.
You also have to keep in mind that the train I ride every day and the Costco you go to are private property. I am not a lawyer but I am pretty sure that once I step into either place, I relinquish certain rights or aspects of my rights in exchange for being able to use their services. That includes removal from the premises if I act in a way that is perceived as threatening. Both are "public places" as in "lots of people", but it isn't public property. The idea of one's rights are then in question. Just like if someone came to your house. You expect them to follow your rules, their rights are secondary.
I hardly think anything threatening was going on and it sounds as if the whole thing was blown out of proportion by the Costco employee. However, it is a simple sad fact that the setting in which one chooses to fiddle with a knife of any sort for any reason matters. In some cases, exercising discretion is more important than exercising one's rights. On the other hand, you may not have the rights you think you have depending on where you are.

Of course the counter to that is that there are many things you are absolutely free to do, but the people around you are absolutely free to think you're a fool for doing them.

And that is absolutely fine, I'll think overlooking every other item in the room that is a more dangerous weapon is a foolish move and it's perfectly ok to think having a slip joint the size of quarter out in your hands is foolish. Freedom is great.

The foolish thing was thinking he could clean that knife with a tissue. The whole story is bunk.

I ride a train from upstate New York to NYC daily. The ride is about 90 minutes each way. I've had the idea pop into my head during that boring ride that I could sharpen my SAK - you know, do something somewhat useful to pass the time. But my smarter self always says, "No, scro! That will end in tears." No matter how innocent my intention, in that setting it would just be seen as a threatening thing to do.
In the OP's case, I see something similar going on. I reckon there aren't too many spots on the floor of the average Costco where a customer pulling out a knife (even a very small one) wouldn't attract negative attention. It is about context. Sure, the employees may have boxcutters in their pockets. They have a job to do. They are known to the other employees. There is comfort and familiarity there that allows the use of a boxcutter to fit neatly within that context. A customer, on the other hand, is an unknown and a knife in his/her hand would be out of place - a threat.
You also have to keep in mind that the train I ride every day and the Costco you go to are private property. I am not a lawyer but I am pretty sure that once I step into either place, I relinquish certain rights or aspects of my rights in exchange for being able to use their services. That includes removal from the premises if I act in a way that is perceived as threatening. Both are "public places" as in "lots of people", but it isn't public property. The idea of one's rights are then in question. Just like if someone came to your house. You expect them to follow your rules, their rights are secondary.
I hardly think anything threatening was going on and it sounds as if the whole thing was blown out of proportion by the Costco employee. However, it is a simple sad fact that the setting in which one chooses to fiddle with a knife of any sort for any reason matters. In some cases, exercising discretion is more important than exercising one's rights. On the other hand, you may not have the rights you think you have depending on where you are.
A train for sharpening? Have you got the hand eye coordination of a brain surgeon? I used to ride a train daily as well, it was extremely bumpy and I would never think of doing precision work on one.

Irrational fears are just that — irrational. We can't reason with them.

Your Costco boxcutter anecdote reminds me of something from my retail days: a customer was standing in line near my boxes (I was on the other side) and I had a pretty broad bladed knife I was using to open them. I was a few steps away and needed to open a new box, I was a fast worker so I absent-mindedly whip my knife out and took several quick strides towards the box with my knife held at the ready. I glanced up at the guy and saw his wide eyes and realized I appeared to him to be moving towards him swiftly with a knife :D . I quickly opened the box and put the knife away, I don't remember if I apologized to the guy or not but I recall he had a look of relief on his face.

Last edited:
My tiny little wife has a sog flash i pink I gave her (the little one). She’s a nurse and very privately used it one night at work to cut something at the nurses station not even out n the open and of course at least 2 people had to tell her. “U know that’s an illegal concealed weapon right”. She called and asked me as I told her to laugh and correct them that we live n Tennessee and it’s perfectly legal to carry a pocket knife the size of a slip joint! Lol people just claim to no laws that they don’t really know.

The foolish thing was thinking he could clean that knife with a tissue. The whole story is bunk.
I hadn't even thought of that lol... Good point.

This kind of reaction seems more a bit of melodrama and manipulation motivated by the new "harmlessness " ethos . If someone is truly afraid of someone with a weapon , I believe they would not put on such a show . They would freeze up , cowering or maybe run screaming . Not be confrontational and drive you away . That's dominance behavior .
Of course , if you really scare the wrong person , they may just attack you physically .

We surely do live in weird times ! o_O
To quote (loosely) an ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times".

Just to play devil's advocate, it is highly likely that a percentage of the people with an irrational fear of knives might have an actual reason for it. Who knows if someone was traumatized (or witnessed something traumatic happening to someone else) in some way in their past by someone wielding a knife. You never know. Keep in mind I know the BIG difference between this type and the more common examples of people who simply think that "Nobody ever needs to carry a knife around."

I remember a few years back mentioning that SOME people might have a PTSD type of reaction to someone with a knife (outside of the kitchen) and why, and another poster commented (I'm paraphrasing): "Well, they better get over it and accept my right use my knives however I want, anywhere I want." Yep, that'll cure them of their trauma.

Jim

Last edited:
Y’all serious about the needles and dentist?

Dead serious. Needles are my phobia but i can suck it up and manage. Needles in my gums I have serious trouble with.

I guess for some people pulling out a tiny knife and cleaning it is equivalent of pulling out a tiny derringer and cleaning it.

Last edited:
Just to play devil's advocate, it is highly likely that a percentage of the people with an irrational fear of knives might have an actual reason for it. Who knows if someone was traumatized (or witnessed something traumatic happening to someone else) in some way in their past by someone wielding a knife. You never know. Keep in mind I know the BIG difference between this type and the more common examples of people who simply think that "Nobody ever needs to carry a knife around."

I don't know

I remember a few years back mentioning that SOME people might have a PTSD type of reaction to someone with a knife (outside of the kitchen) and why, and another poster commented (I'm paraphrasing): "Well, they better get over it and accept my right use my knives however I want, anywhere I want." Yep, that'll cure them of their trauma.

Jim
Some people have irrational fears of all sorts of things. Shall society cater to all of them?

Some people have irrational fears of all sorts of things. Shall society cater to all of them?
Not necessarily. I'm just saying that you never know. And as irrational as it may be (or seem to be) to us, if someone has legitimate PTSD around something, it's not totally irrational, is it?

Jim

OK, now this is getting ridiculous. All I said was with SOME people, you never know. I've personally known someone who has severe PTSD around something (not knife-related), and knowing that, I would not talk about, do, or show her something that could trigger it.

I DID mention that there is a big difference between someone with a PTSD-type reaction and the FAR more common types that don't think anyone should ever carry a knife around because it makes them feel uncomfortable.

Jim

Back