1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Fiddlebacks and Food

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Dcaggie06, Feb 12, 2014.

1. NoRest

NoRest Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2015
    No. :eek::eek::eek:!!!

2. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    I seem to remember that one was “mistakenly” scribed in 3/32” but don’t remember it ever being released into the wild.

3. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Are you asking because you have one to show us?

4. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    that is correct. Andy had a fit grinding it. It was thrown a few times & sat around forever in the "old big shop". The he finished it and I got it for my 40th b-day from him
    ive posted it several times in this thread and on IG. just never vocalized what it was:p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

B Griffin, PolRoger, jaz322 and 6 others like this.
  5. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    I didn’t get anything even close to that nice when I turned 40 a couple months ago. :(

B Griffin likes this.
  6. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    gotta put in that hard work ol' son:D:D:D

B Griffin and Nbrackett like this.
  7. NoRest

NoRest Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2015
    I bet that ones great in the kitchen!:thumbsup:

VANCE and Nbrackett like this.
  8. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    When I eat them at home, fried green tomatoes don't usually call for a knife...but eating out can be a whole different game....
    [​IMG]

Khanvoy44, Bmurray and VANCE like this.
  9. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    I don't know...maybe I should cut Peter Jackson some slack on his modifications of the happenings in Middle Earth. Since the part of Gondor just west of Anfalas sort of looks like a boot to me...I see that area as maybe being where the Middle Earth version of Italy was. So my mind sometimes says odd little things like..."One of these days we should go try that new Anfalan place over in Minhiraith...I hear tell it's pretty good..." when I am shooting food images and studying shots for the calendar project...maybe I'm no better... But hey at least I am wanting to write more of the story that was left out, and not so much wanting to leave out and change parts that actually were written.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I was always wondering about a sea adventure from Rivendale or like from the port where Aragorn came ashore with the dead army in the movie. Maybe there are lands where the Corsairs came from, was that them?

B Griffin likes this.
  11. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    I've been trying to sort out how to do the next to the last shot, the one for December, which I think I want to be of an Elven knife left behind on a table laden with food and wine at the Gray Havens with the sea in the background. I may have to paint the Elven ship in if I can't find a reasonable representative for it in soft focus in the distant background. The last scene, the next January, will be a scene from the Shire at Sam's or the Green Dragon to suggest the continuity and the timelessness of it all.

If you look at the map I am using to draw my maps from, the Corsairs came from the direction of Haradwaith, they came up through Ithilien on the River Anduin in the northeast area of the Bay of Belfalas. Much like the Southrons came out of Far Harad, below and west of Haradwaith and up through Ithilien on their huge Oliphants. I have always seen those area as having a sort of a middle eastern or southeastern Mediterranean flavor just because of the map lay out and being fond of studying the developments of our own real human histories, and I guess Peter Jackson did as well looking at his images of them. I have been studying Middle Eastern cuisine in an effort to sort the shots for scene from that part of Middle Earth as well. And I guess I need to find and befriend a knife maker who makes knives in the Persian style

Anfalas, the part I see as possibly being possibly an Italian-like or Northeastern Mediterranean-like culture cuisine wise, is on the western point of Gondor pointing to the compass.
    [​IMG]

cbach8tw likes this.
  12. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    My Surls Moray doing kitchen duty tonight with my special honey glazed salmon which was so juicy. Served with yellow rice and some amish grown malibu green beans that're the sweetest I've ever had.

[​IMG]

13. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    Bob
    Check out the john setzler, kamado joe honey bourbon salmon

Epic

14. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
  15. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
  16. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    It can be a complicated food...because it's a nightshade, but lots of people eat them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bmurray likes this.
  17. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
  18. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Very nicely done charcuterie!!

19. SneezySky

SneezySky Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2017
    IMG_5109.jpg

IMG_5110.jpg
    Testing out my large Fiddleback kitchen knife :p:D.

The machete did better in the slice test... cleaner lines.

Happy July 4th!!!!

20. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Sometimes it's nice to have something that's big sharp and pokey to help get through the big sharp and pokey briers to get to the really juicy and sweet blackberries :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VANCE and Bmurray like this.