1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiddlebacks and Food

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Dcaggie06, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I make the best etouffee there is. Matter of fact I’m going to make a shrimp and crawfish one tonight. I base mine on “Pam’s Shrimp Etouffee” if you google this recipe. Then I modded it slightly.

2. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    Best I ever had was in Houma, La in 1978 at my Navy buddy's house... Bro I concede that you are no doubt a good cook but There's no way your Crawfish Etouffee is better than mine...Maybe we do a cook off and of course a huge party!

3. NOLA

NOLA Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Do you stuff the heads?

Wurrwulf, catalystman80 and varga49 like this.
  4. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    Ahhh
    Excellent Question..Which no doubt you know requires a lengthy prologue, involving the history of the two distinct cultural phenomena, and it can only be described this way, that came about as a result of more influences that most folks outside on Louisiana would expect. So the question is "Do you stuff the heads?" which begs more questioning..Would stuffing the craw fish heads be Cajun or Creole influenced?
    My first taste of Craw Fish Etouffee was like I said in Houma, La while visiting a Navy buddy and his family. So the heads we not stuffed but the "tamale" was used in the dish to add the remarkable taste not found outside of Louisiana. The second time I enjoyed Craw Fish Etouffee was at Commanders Palace in your home town! The heads were stuffed and that was a nice surprise! Back to the original question "Do you stuff the heads? As you know were approaching the craw fish season if not already in it. Even though I tend to prefer rustic cooking over classical when I can get live Craw fish I do stuff the heads..When I can't I am forced to buy the frozen and shipped from china version. Not my favorite but it'll do in a pinch, I of course do not!

catalystman80 and Lady1911 like this.
  5. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    I've lived either in or within 30 minutes of New Orleans my entire life; most of that time spent in between (geographically) Cajun country and Creole New Orleans. In the last 10 years, I've eaten Vietnamese food at probably a 20:1 ratio to Creole or Cajun cuisine. Etoufees and bisques and sauce piquantes and all of those incredible, wonderful foods are always "event food" for me. I never think about them when I'm looking to grab a bite to eat or heading out to a restaurant. It's always a wedding or a funeral or an anniversary or a friend coming from out of town that brings out the "traditionals". Crawfish, shrimp, or crab boils are either the day of the Endymion parade or Easter Sunday. I've got at least a dozen Cajun or Creole cookbooks (I highly recommend River Road Recipes to anyone looking) that hardly ever get used. I guess I've always gravitated towards the huge amounts of Sicilian restaurants and po-boy joints throughout the area. I can't cook any of the traditionals worth a shit, either. I used to be able to boil a kick ass batch of crawfish, but the prices have gotten so damn high in the last few years that I haven't done one in 6-7 years. I guess I need to get in my lane and get in touch with my "roots".

varga49 and Bmurray like this.
  6. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    Fiddleback family knife. WA Surls Minuteman by @allen456. Love this knife.

Just a snack.

[​IMG]

catalystman80, Lady1911 and Nbrackett like this.
  7. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    little @Cohutta deconstruction of a pork chop T-Bone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Pokerface

Pokerface

Aug 1, 2011
    A San Diego staple...the California Burrito

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Lady1911, mistwalker, Bmurray and 5 others like this.
  9. mistwalker

mistwalker Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Garlic crusted salmon, broiled asparagus, and fried potato cubes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

catalystman80, Dritios, VANCE and 3 others like this.
  10. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

11. NOLA

NOLA Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Used my new Cohutta muk in O1 last night to break down the meat to make some goose breakfast sausage. Check out that patina after only one week. Those white-ish chunks are bits of fresh apple.

image1.jpeg

12. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Looks great. That Muk is a beauty!

Coach23 likes this.
  13. David L

David L Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Hardly enough calories to cover the 4 mile round trip walk when I split the order with my wife and only eat half like shown in the picture below.

BB95F822-D411-477E-BAC1-5F731526FEBF.JPG

14. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    EPIC FAIL!!

Kylie was making some "finger foods" to take to our Easter lunch tomorrow
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    she finishes the skewers of mozzarella, salami, olives, tortellini, pepperoni & tomatoes
    [​IMG]
    I decided to throw the salmon I had in a brine solution all day on the KJ and use up the remaining ingredients from Kylie's stuff
    [​IMG]
    Kylie asked me to put the perfectly cooked salmon back on the grill to make it "crispy".......and this happens(post cleanup)
    [​IMG]
    Gallon Ziplock has the ruined salmon in it
    [​IMG]

my bowl after sharing the salmon that didn't hit the concrete with Kylie...3 bites
    [​IMG]

15. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    @VANCE, that gravity'll getcha every time.

16. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    total bummer

17. mistwalker

mistwalker Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Saturdays are a sushi buffet day for Alayna and I :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bmurray and Lady1911 like this.
  18. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    Deleted, Double post

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Nbrackett and NoRest like this.
  19. NoRest

NoRest Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2015
    Looks delicious!

Bmurray likes this.
  20. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    This is what you do with leftover steak

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nbrackett, catalystman80 and Lady1911 like this.