Finally Got The Production Model

Hey Mist, nice knife. I just seen that knife for sale in a catalog I just got. It really looks like it would bean excellent one to use. The catalog said it was a stainless blade though. So is the blade actually is a carbon steel? I hope so. I am going to search for the review.

Hey Mist, nice knife. I just seen that knife for sale in a catalog I just got. It really looks like it would bean excellent one to use. The catalog said it was a stainless blade though. So is the blade actually is a carbon steel? I hope so. I am going to search for the review.

Thanks jcs, yeah I heard they had it listed as stainless in their Christmas catalog, but is is hi-carbon, either 1070 or 1095 I was happy with either. I cannot do a review here because of the ethics involved...I was asked to do it elsewhere though and so far I am happy with the results.

Just in case any of you have thought the tip rather "thick" I wanted to say that was intentional. I personally have issues with tip failures when it really counts and I wanted to give this knife a very strong tip and it turned out just as I wanted. My thinking on this was that it's easier to thin a tip out if one wishes than it is to beef one up.

90fe0dfd.jpg

117d1d1d.jpg

I just got the Christmas catalog from SMKW. I was really looking forward to ordering a couple of these. On page 16 I found what I thought was this knife. Awesome price point, but the description says "Powder coated stainless steel". I thought we were talking about 1095 or 1070???

That definately makes this less attractive. I sure hope they didn't change it to a cheapo 440. Things like this are why I don't own any Schrades

I just got the Christmas catalog from SMKW. I was really looking forward to ordering a couple of these. On page 16 I found what I thought was this knife. Awesome price point, but the description says "Powder coated stainless steel". I thought we were talking about 1095 or 1070???

That definately makes this less attractive. I sure hope they didn't change it to a cheapo 440. Things like this are why I don't own any Schrades

It's just a typo that slipped by in the proofing, and they also "misspelled" the model number, it should be SCHF9. I tested mine with a magnet and a little surface rust...I'm pretty sure it's the 1070 I asked for shortly after submitting the design and not the 1095 I wrote out on the drawing but it's definitely not stainless.

It's just a typo that slipped by in the proofing, and they also "misspelled" the model number, it should be SCHF9. I tested mine with a magnet and a little surface rust...I'm pretty sure it's the 1070 I asked for shortly after submitting the design and not the 1095 I wrote out on the drawing but it's definitely not stainless.

Mist, out of curiosity, why did you ask for 1070 rather than 1095 (other than cost)?

Mist, out of curiosity, why did you ask for 1070 rather than 1095 (other than cost)?

Well... because of the answers to several questions during a few long talks with a couple of friends who make knives, and because I loved how they had done the heat treat on the other 1070 Schrade knife I bought back at the first of the year. I knew when, in a fit of rage and anger at my self for getting the knife hung up in a twisted, knotty, Sweet Gum stump that I shouldn't have tried to baton, I BEAT that knife through the stump with no ill effects at all to the shape of the knife only some missing paint...that the 1070 had the characteristics I was looking for to do what I wanted the knife to do. It wasn't love taps I was giving that knife...I was so mad I was hitting it with everything I had. All it did was finally split the stump... I was impressed.

Mistwalker,

Nice looking design, very nice "curves"! :) I like the looks a lot!!

Now a couple of questions:
1) Where are they being made? (U.S., China, etc.)
2) Who will be carrying them?
3) When will they be available to the public?
4) Any idea on the cost?

Yes, I like the looks enough to get one no matter the answer(s) to some of the questions! ;)

Good job!

Mistwalker,

Nice looking design, very nice "curves"! :) I like the looks a lot!!

Now a couple of questions:
1) Where are they being made? (U.S., China, etc.)
2) Who will be carrying them?
3) When will they be available to the public?
4) Any idea on the cost?

Yes, I like the looks enough to get one no matter the answer(s) to some of the questions! ;)

Good job!

Thank you, I'm really glad you like the design.

1) They are being made in Taiwan
2) I'm not sure I can answer this without risking a deal spotting infraction so all I can say is google is your friend.
3) I know a few people who have already bought them
4) once again we get into that deal spotting / infraction issue and again I say google can be your friend, the model number is the Schrade SCHF9

Might have to check one of those out myself

Yeah right, like you have time to play with any more new knives at the moment :) , thanks Caine.

Knife looks pretty cool, sheath looks like crap IMO. It just looks cheap.

I have some mixed feelings about the sheath...it's a little bulkier than I prefer, and I wish it had some rivets in it, but it is made so that the knife fits snugly with no movement or noise, the pouch will hold several useful items, is molle compatible, and will go on to and come off of a web belt without having to remove other items from the belt.

Got mine and it is a nice chopper. Stays sharp a LONG time. Coating is pretty hard. Drills and carves nice. I am getting ready to put cocobolo handle scales on it though. The rubber handle scales feel real good but I like the look of fancy wood and Loveless bolts. Pretty impressive piece for the money. Thanks.

Got mine and it is a nice chopper. Stays sharp a LONG time. Coating is pretty hard. Drills and carves nice. I am getting ready to put cocobolo handle scales on it though. The rubber handle scales feel real good but I like the look of fancy wood and Loveless bolts. Pretty impressive piece for the money. Thanks.

Thanks Trent, glad you like it. I'm still trying to decide between micarta and stabilized wood for a mod. I'd like to see some pics of yours when you get it done.

i'd reckon that a passaround of this knife would prove most interesting. especially with winter around the corner :)

Mistwalker. will do. I may buy another one so I can polish the blade and rehandle and just leave this one in my gear.

jca21- If you guys do you won't be disappointed. Nice outdoor tool.

Back